Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Bar Contamintation

advice needed...

when reloading .45colt or .45acp my 550b primer installation cup becomes contaminated with fallout from the depriming step...unless i keep a REALLY close eye on the primer pusher, crud will deform the primer...

anyone else had this issue??? fixes???

wyman

advice needed...

when reloading .45colt or .45acp my 550b primer installation cup becomes contaminated with fallout from the depriming step...unless i keep a REALLY close eye on the primer pusher, crud will deform the primer...

anyone else had this issue???  fixes???

wyman

What kind of crud? Powder residue, stuff from the old primer? Do you clean or polish the cases before you reload?

By the way I'm just south of you in Camarillo

advice needed...

wyman

What kind of crud? Powder residue, stuff from the old primer? Do you clean or polish the cases before you reload?

some primer crud, sometimes flakes of new power (Clays), and, yes, i do clean and polish cases before reloading. this deformation is slight and does not seem to effect the firing of the cartridge...just looks odd...

advice needed...

wyman

some primer crud, sometimes flakes of new power (Clays), and, yes, i do clean and polish cases before reloading. this deformation is slight and does not seem to effect the firing of the cartridge...just looks odd...

I use Clays in both my .45 ACP and in shotshells. I can't imagine the powder being the cause, Clays seems to burn pretty clean. I'm using a 650 now but can't recall having a real problem with my old 550, unless the machine got oil grease or case lube around the primer seating assy. I've had the primer punch assy on my 650 get dirty with similar stuff (enough to show some surface marks in the primer surface but I've never had any get any physical damage of dents) after quite a few hundred rounds or a spill, but I usually just clean it up and dry evrything out with a little compressed air and brake clean.

calhunter,

i believe the problem is from flakes of clays coming from the powder drop and/or crud from the primer pocket, i do not suspect unburnt flakes. i tumble the brass (both colt & acp) until brite and shiney, shake all the corn cobb out, double check and lube with oneshot...if i pay real close attention to the primer seater and clean every 10 or so rounds, all is ok. mind you, the deformation is more cosmetic than problematic, the few suspect cartridges just looks shabby in the box...the only thing i can figure is that some flakes are hanging on the powder funnel and dropping out on the shell plate and then being rotated around to the priming pocket...go figure...

wyman

calhunter,

i believe the problem is from flakes of clays coming from the powder drop and/or crud from the primer pocket, i do not suspect unburnt flakes.  i tumble the brass (both colt & acp) until brite and shiney, shake all the corn cobb out, double check and lube with oneshot...if i pay real close attention to the primer seater and clean every 10 or so rounds, all is ok.  mind you, the deformation is more cosmetic than problematic, the few suspect cartridges just looks shabby in the box...the only thing i can figure is that some flakes are hanging on the powder funnel and dropping out on the shell plate and then being rotated around to the priming pocket...go figure...

wyman

I use Dillon carbide sizing dies so I never put any lube on my cases (Handgun only). That's the only thing that I can think of that would make the dirt build up. My press gets dirty but nothing like that.

Steve

Happens to me, too. Every time I add primers I push the lever all the way forward and just use my finger to wipe off the primer ram or whatever it's called. The primers have all worked well whether they were slightly dented or not.

I have noticed the dented primer syndrome myself. It does not seem to affect ignition - so far anyway. I THINK if a have a slight slowdown of my downward stroke of the handle just before the primer begins to seat it results in cleaner seating and I am sure I get less "wiped/smeared primers.