Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draws & reloads in USPSA and IDPA - training question

MilkMyDuds

For people who are actively competing in both IDPA and USPSA, during training how do you reconcile the differences in gears (and styles) between IDPA and USPSA and still maintain high skill levels in both?

I just recently switched to training with USPSA rig (DAA belt + BOSS hanger + DAA racer mag pouches), from my IDPA setup (511 belt + BladeTech mag pouches). The difference is quite dramatic. I was doing 1.1 sec draw to first shot (10 yard) with vest and IDPA gear, but now I can quite comfortably do sub 1 sec draw to first shot (10 yard) with the DAA stuff (of course without a vest). I briefly tried going back to the IDPA setup and it felt horrible... The same goes with reloads. USPSA does not require slide lock reload, which implies much less grip rotation, i.e. now I just need to rotate grip slightly to hit the mag release vs. having to rotate grip a lot to hit mag release then hit slide stop in IDPA. So basically reloads are much smoother and faster, and I could return to target with a solid grip.

All of these are great, but with the lack of clubs/local matches nearby, I can only shoot 1 USPSA (prod) match/month max. I am still going to do quite a lot of IDPA matches (SSP).

So should I train in both setups, in alternate days, or should I just training 100% with USPSA setup? For people who have similar experience and plans, what works best for you? Did you lose the speed in draws and reloads in IDPA after you train with USPSA gear for extended period of time? Am I thinking too much? :) From Vogel's youtube video, it appears he does dedicated training before major matches in IDPA such as nationals/world. I guess for local matches it does not matter much.

While speed of draw and reloads are important, just like picking up points, it is not as important at getting from array to array and transitioning target to target once you arrive there. Most USPSA stages are 24-32 rounds where most IDPA stages are 12 or less. Unless it is a stand and hose stage, you will always have plenty of time to draw going to an array, and plenty of to reload going to the next array. Unless you have really nice IDPA matches close, I would just concentrate on USPSA. When I shot allot of IDPA, I would do the Steel Challenge from concealment, that's 39 draws per match, and then only put 4 rounds in the first mag to practice reloading. Local matches are just practice for big area matches and the Nationals. Watching the GM's on youtube will only get you so far, and it's not quite so easy to down load a GM plan into a C class shooter. You would be far better off to take lessons from a local GM.

Edited by 9x45

What I did is pick the one I like and practice that. I prefer to shoot USPSA and I want to do well, so that is what I practice. Like you there is only one USPSA match near me, it's only 9 Months out of the year and it's a 2 hour drive. IDPA is year round, and 2-3 times a month, and only a 30-45 min drive. I still shoot USPSA, or go practice by myself. I know I can make bigger gains practicing then I will shooing IDPA.

But I don like gong to the local club and shooting IDPA from time to time. So just dry fire the IDPA gun for a couple days before the match. Going from Open to ESP is a big change, but I don't really worry to much about it.

If I was going to shoot a major IDPA match (which I'm not) I would probably completely switch over to IDPA gear for a month or so leading up to it. Depending what other majors I have coming up.

What I did is pick the one I like and practice that. I prefer to shoot USPSA and I want to do well, so that is what I practice. Like you there is only one USPSA match near me, it's only 9 Months out of the year and it's a 2 hour drive. IDPA is year round, and 2-3 times a month, and only a 30-45 min drive. I still shoot USPSA, or go practice by myself. I know I can make bigger gains practicing then I will shooing IDPA.

But I don like gong to the local club and shooting IDPA from time to time. So just dry fire the IDPA gun for a couple days before the match. Going from Open to ESP is a big change, but I don't really worry to much about it.

If I was going to shoot a major IDPA match (which I'm not) I would probably completely switch over to IDPA gear for a month or so leading up to it. Depending what other majors I have coming up.

Mike, we are probably in the exact same situation. Training for USPSA feels exhilarating. That's what I am planning to stick to exclusively until probably next IDPA nationals. Thanks for offering your experience!

I prefer to shoot USPSA and I want to do well, so that is what I practice.

I got into IDPA and USPSA about 8 years ago,after a long layoff.

Couldn't do both (kept dropping mags in IDPA and getting yelled at),

so I dropped IDPA and just do USPSA.

USPSA is way more fun ... :cheers:

I am in the same boat and shoot USPSA Limited (with a full race holster) and IDPA (ESP, CDP and SSP).

I have found that once you get to a certain level of speed / skill, it's pretty easy moving between holsters. You develop muscle memory and it only takes one or two dry fire sessions to prepare you for a match.

I took a class with Robert Vogel last year, and someone asked him a similar question. I believe his answer was that he uses the same gear (or nearly the same gear) in both IDPA and USPSA. Sorry I can't remember his exact answer, but I do remember he kept holstered gun at same height relative to his belt so he didn't have 2 different draw strokes.

That is definitely the easiest way to do it. Wear a regular belt holster that's ipda legal and two mag pouches. When it's uspsa time add the three more mag pouches and off you go. This is of course easiest shooting the same gun, like ssp and production. Or single stack and cdp.

Dry fire in the day(s) before. Verbally remind yourself what to do, phrasing it in the positive. Boucing back and forth more frequently seems to make it easier.

Orrrrrr, you could just keep them totally separate. I shoot the same gun, but my rigs are totally different. Diff belt, diff holster, diff mag pouches. So when I switch, it is a complete switch and for me that seems more manageable.

What seems to be harder is using cover, shooting in tac priority and adjusting a draw to deal with the vest. But yes, it is all doable and there is no magic. Just time and effort.

I do not shoot IDPA but suspect the holsters used are similar to those we use in 3 gun sans the vest.

After too many years of USPSA to count, I added 3 gun to my short list of hobbies.

The initial transition was somewhat frustrating. Going from a CR Speed race holster to a COM 3 gun holster really slowed down my draws. After a while I realized that my race holster allowed me to get by with a sloppy and inconsistent draw where the COM holster needed more consistent movements to be reasonably quick.

Now I that I have somewhat developed a consistent draw with the COM rig, I find that I can move back to the CR Speed rig without much problem.

So now all my practice is with the COM holster.

Bill