Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to buy brass?

BenBreeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Bartlett at gibrass.com sells the best once-fired military brass I've been able to find.

Right now (11/3/2015) he has 5.56 and 7.62 available. From experience it is definitely worth the extra money ($25 per thousand) to have him process: primer punched, pocket swaged and brass tumbled and polished. Shows up like new. The last batch of 5000 7.62 cases I bought didnt even need to be trimmed.

• 2 weeks later...

buy a little bag of starline to see how nice new brass is to process...

then take up where the rest of us go.... tumble and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and check for powder and add bullet and inspect

.... at some point you think, I think I'll go get new brass instead of gathering all those old cases..

to tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and check for powder and add bullet and inspect again.

this is fun right?

I don't sort by headstamp, I gather it, tumble it, load it,,sometimes tumble again to get the lube off and then shoot it.

For pistol shooting unless you are using clips, why bother with sorting it?

I shot about 20,000 or more rounds thus year I loaded, I had 2 split cases, one found during reloading one after I was inspecting it.

Last time I bought .40 S&W cases it was $96.80 for 4,500 cases delivered.

Edited by bret

Try brassmanbrass.com

I like how it's sorted by headstamp! Easily my least favorite part of reloading and well worth the extra cost. Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, sorting by headstamps does NOT guarantee anything.

Within every headstamp there usually are several different versions of the same brass - probably made by different plants. The dimensions of the base, the MATERIAL and the weight can be SIGNIFICANTLY different between them.

For instance, I recently sorted a lot of Remington brass, and there are huge variations there. There are LARGE and SMALL base versions there... at least that many.

Within the Federal brass there are TWO MAIN different kinds - I call them Yellow and Pink, due to their colors. The second one has different texture, it looks like it is made of powdered metal - it has grain to its base surface.

Within the Yellow group there are variations as well.

I have seen weight variations of 5-10 gr between different types, all for 9mm brass.

So in my view you get just as much consistency with a random mix of any good brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Pick it up at the range or buy it cheap.

I've been reloading pistol since 1970 and 454 Casull is the only new brass I can remember buying.

No one I know throws brass away just because it has been "shot a lot". They throw it away when it cracks, splits, or gets damaged but usually they just lose it in the grass and someone else takes it home and the process is repeated.

Save your money and become part of the brass cycle of life.

Elite Reloading Supplies in Louisville has good cleaned used brass at very good prices. Shipping is prompt. Packing is secure. I have now bought 10,000 cases. I only keep Win, FC, BLAZER, RP, PMC, AND SPEER. In spite of my pickiness, I only discarded about 10% of my last 5000 round order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I go to a local indoor range that sells me 5 gal buckets of mixed brass for $50. This is a small mom and pop range, not one of the big chains. I sort out the 9mm and sell what is left to a metal reclaim operation in town. Last time I did this I sorted 4K 9mm cases and sold what was left for $42. So I paid $2/1000. Still had to sort out the steel and aluminum cases but I can't complain for that price.