Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to buy brass?

BenBreeg

So I am getting into reloading and have gathered some brass from my practice sessions, but not a ton. Was planning on just buying some to get a jump start. A quick search showed a pretty wide array of prices, from $115 for 5000 to $170 for 5000. The most expensive had mixed nickel. Where should I get them from? Does it matter?

-Edit- sorry, should be in General Reloading section

Edited by BenBreeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starling brass is as good as it gets.

Remember, your brass is a piece of your equation for competitive shooting. Don't pinch pennies unless you have no choice.

Starline brass is the correct spelling.

All of a sudden I am unable to edit my posts!??

Depends on your level of shooting, type of shooting and budget.

If I were shooting matches at ranges far from home. I would want to shoot factory new Starline brass.

If I were shooting in high volume, wanting great ammo at a price point. I would shop no further than the classifieds on this forum or another. On this forum i found once fired police qualification brass for 27 per K. It has all been excellent.

Much safer than the local range offering once fired brass of unknown origin. Lots of factory with about a third of brass fired who knows many times in one gun or another offering a bulk buy on five gallon buckets of clean brass.

Guess it's just me, but I've been using range brass (culling out objectionable

brass) for my 9mm major. :surprise:

I've had three (3) brass splits in that time, all in a single month after I got

my gun back from my gunsmith - none in the past three years. :cheers:

Same here. I load it over and over in 9MAJOR.

Buying starline 9mm is nuts. Might as well shoot supercomp for the same price. I refuse to buy 9mm brass.

buy a little bag of starline to see how nice new brass is to process...

then take up where the rest of us go.... tumble and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and fill

tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and check for powder and add bullet and inspect

.... at some point you think, I think I'll go get new brass instead of gathering all those old cases..

to tumble, sort by headstamp, removing the military crimps and inspect and check for powder and add bullet and inspect again.

this is fun right?

So I am getting into reloading and have gathered some brass from my practice sessions, but not a ton. Was planning on just buying some to get a jump start. A quick search showed a pretty wide array of prices, from $115 for 5000 to $170 for 5000. The most expensive had mixed nickel. Where should I get them from? Does it matter?

What cartridge are we talking about here?

I've bought some great brass on Amazon. The last time I bought some, I got 1000 cleaned/polished .40 S&W cases for $27. Just search for whatever caliber you want and there are usually a lot of choices. I've been really happy with that brass--it's once fired, tumbled, and ready to load. Out of the 1000 or so cases in the bag, a total of 5 were unusable. Not too shabby for the price!

Edited by DoBell

What cartridge are we talking about here?

9mm

You can probably find some good deals on 9mm brass in the classifieds here or shooters source.

9mm and 40s&w seem to be readily available to pick up for free at the ranges around here. :)

I've had zero issues with range brass and loading 9mm major - I do cull out the ammoload, IMT, FM stepped stuff though.

9mm and 40s&w seem to be readily available to pick up for free at the ranges around here. :)

This....

I can go to the range and shoot 100-200 rounds, and come home with 300-400....I've never bought 9mm or .45 ACP brass, except loaded, factory stuff.

Bob

Yeah honestly the best couple brass purchases I have made came from members here. Otherwise, it came from a local range that sold by the 5gal bucket. Some work was involved, but I got good brass and traded off the stuff I did not load.

Always shot OPB, Other peoples brass. Have bought 38 Super in the past but 9,40 and 45 are easy enough to pick up. There's enough

shooters that come to range and walk away from brass, don't reload so it's of no value to them to build up a nice stock pile over

the years. Spend some time inspecting range brass especially 9mm. Quickest way I have found is to use three factory trays, the ones

with the square holes work best. Place to in a box mouth up the pour a hand full in to the trays, most will fall base down.

Look at the case mouth, check for trash, dirt splits and chigger bits little cups on the case mouth. discard any that look bad.

Place the other tray over the first and flip, like a primer flip tray. Inspect for swagged primers, any that have a little

ring stamped around the primer, military cases have a smaller case volume and are swagged, I won't keep any with a questionable

head stamp or flattened primer. Flatten primers are likely shot through an open gun and may look good but may not hold a primer.

The tray trick works well also for finding other calibers that have worked there way into the tumbler. Just turn the tray sideways

length vary if the wrong caliber is in it. A pencil works well to remove open mouth cases.

Nut picker makes it easy on the back. Just wait till a stage is finished. May check some of the indoor ranges, may have range brass

for sale at a reasonable price.