Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm Carbine for Competition

sophiasmith

My GMR 13 runs like a sewing machine but of course its top dollar. I ran a JR Carbine for two Ironmans, it is inexpensive but has some downsides. A bear to take down and clean. Must clean every 300 rounds to be reliable. No mag stop so going mag supported causes misfeeds.

What if it is a really short range fast precision rifle match with pistol targets as well where pistol carbine ammo and mag sharing was an advantage? What if it was a precision pistol caliber carbine? A rifle may not be a carbine, but a carbine is always a rifle. I have not tried to engage anything past 120 yards with a PCC, but that might be a darn fun match. A Flasher at 250 yards would be a hoot, 8.9 mil drop. At 360 a single turn bender would be tapped and you would need to hold over past. 9mm precision matches would certainly need a lot less real estate and be just as fun.

This might not be the best spot for the discussion, but it is certainly not the worst. A super cool Mod will move it if it is such a big deal.

My experience with the JP GMR13 - it's a great gun, but using the word precision with a 9mm carbine is a stretch. My best 100 yard group was a little over 2MOA. Not what I'd call precision. However, it is a hoot to shoot. I love the gun. 33 round mags and a G34 with 124mm mags make for a great combo in a 100 yard or less 3 gun match. Keep the rounds subsonic and it works great to 100 yards with 147g hollow points. The light weight 115g supersonic bullets work ok in close, but lose their accuracy as they go trans-sonic when you try to go long.

There was a certain degree of sarcasm in my earlier post. I can only hold 3" at 100 yards with my GMR and ammo combination, but I don't see that as a fault of either the ammo or the gun. I stick with my post of "JP good". Reasons posted in other threads.

Where do you suggest I post my question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally the moderators would have moved it to "Rifle - Technical". That is a closer fit to your purpose.

To your original question, I think that you can see that the JP model is highly regarded. It is certainly what I would get, if I needed that platform. I'd get it for shooting MGM Ironman in Trooper division, for example.

Finally, welcome to this forum. I hope that we can assist you in the future.

Edited by michael1778

Maybe there is just a small bit of understanding. Precision rifle is for long range type accuracy matches. Distances of 1100 or 1200 yards is often seen. Popular calibers are the 6 and 6.5 mm family, with a big handful of 308 and 300 win mag thrown in. I'm not knocking 9mm style ar's, they are great for training, and I wish I had one. It's just that I spent all my money on my "precision rifle"!post-6496-0-33643200-1445973975_thumb.jp

Pretty much any powder for handguns works well. Several folks like Titegroup and it's a fine powder.

I like WSF in mine. It's a little softer shooting than Titegroup, as if recoil mattered. The SD for WSF is also a little better in mine. My gun likes about 950 f/s and performs well with the 147g lead, FMJ or copper plated bullets out to 100 yrds.

Best groups so far at 100 yrds were found with factory Winchester 147g HP @ 2.5 MOA. Next best was Winchester FMJ, followed by my reloads using lead coated HiTech 147g bullets. I'm still tweaking my reloads for Hornady 147 XTPs, cause they haven't been constantly producing 3 MOA groups at 100.

I may go back and try Titegroup again with the Hornady 147s. I don't really care for the recoil impulse that Titegroup produces, but I should be able to duplicate the Winchester factory results and so far I haven't found the right combo to get the Hornady 147s under 3 MOA.

I'm not going to test past 100 yrds. The bullet is dropping too much for my red dot to be useful beyond 100 yrds in 3 gun.

Edited by 72stick

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What sort of distance/targets are you engaging and for sanctioned division or otherwise? I'll tell you, I used to shoot pistol carbine bowling pin matches in Ohio with my preban IMI Uzi carbine. It looks a bit weird with the 16" barrel and it's a tad heavy, but with iron sights, that thing was dead straight, flat shooting, no recoil. Never a failure with any factory ammo.

Makes me want to find a 9mm carbine match locally...

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...