Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Adrenaline Rush

I don't know whether to be alarmed or pleased at how many members reporting about gunfire in their direction.

Yeah, after reading this thread, I don't know if I'm boring or lucky. I drive some fast cars pretty regularly but tend to baby them, and when I'm shooting IPSC, I do my best to suppress my adrenaline and relax. I'm vicariously enjoying your stories though. :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5:

Sex

Sex

Sex

Sex

and Sex.

That's for everyone that thought about putting that down but didn't want to be crude.

Way after my 1 through 5: I do enjoy hunting, shooting, fishing, fast cars and great music. Good full contact martial arts training is also a blast.

In no perticular order:

- Playing Back Home Again in Indiana for Jim Neighbors and The Star Spangled Banner at the 1994 Indianapolis 500.

- Jumping a set of railroad tracks at 80+ mph, being airborne for 75+ feet and landing in the middle of a busy highway (I wasn't driving and I suggested to the driver that we not do it)

- Being in a car accident, and after opening my eyes and getting my bearings realizing that I had

seen this accident before, in exact (down to the clothes I was wearing and the car I hit)

detail in a dream

Dropping into a sixteen foot super pipe for the first time and remembering my eight year old kid's advice " now just commit and spot your landing once you clear the lip of the pipe Dad, this will keep you from smashing your body on the deck!". I still am not comfortable with this! This was 100 more scarier than seven years of being an airborne infantryman! But then again, I am now forty not twenty.

TL can relate to this: Hooking into a four pound Brown on the Madison with my 9' 4wt Loomis, #16 bead head soft hackle, and a 6x tippet! It was a drift worthy of a text book and I landed it! Very exciting!!!

Hearing Pat Kelly yell at me "Now thats not D class shooting!" as I did well on a stage at the 1997 Cabinet Rifle and Pistol Assc. Fall IPSC Classic. I got second D class and was my first practical shooting trophy.

Driving from Jackson, WY to Libbey, MT for the above mentioned match and back in a three day weekend. Not one of my smarter moves. But it did beat working!

Throwing snowballs at a car in downtown Mannheim, FRG and having the two next cars immediately pull over and pile out approximately eight guys that wanted to pummel the crap out of me and my one compadre. Believe it or not , Lars and I kicked some ass! Not one of my prouder moments, but then again I was twenty one or twenty two and a little intoxicated, not forty!

Not in any Particular ORDER:

Stepping on 6+ foot Western Diamondback rattlesnake at 1:00 AM 30 minutes from the closest Band aid Joint.

Looking out the side window of your own truck with the ground coming up to visit you.

Getting a Loaded P220 stuck in my face. (NOT at a match either)

The first time working out of a boom lift over 100 ft (and a few more times after that) pretty neet to see the birds flying under you though.

Doing a 360 on a dirt road at 50+ mph and driving away without even hitting a ditch (VERY long ago)

Getting hit by 480 volts......Damn that HURT

Flipping the boat in Feb with Air temps in the teens(no not drunk either)

Realizing I was 60 feet up a tree with a wild racoon at midnight and out on a limb that I could easily wrap my hand around (LONG AGO)

There's more but those just come to mind the quickest

HOPALONG

I saw this thread some time ago and have been remiss to post on it. I just don't have a good answer.

I've been skydiving a few times. It was a blast - ton of fun. I don't know though - I didn't end up with a huge RUSH after the fact.

IPSC is a huge adrenalin rush on the first stage - but after a stage I am generally focused on what worked, what didn't, how many points etc. etc. - more focused on improvement than the rush.

Used to do some mountain biking and that was pretty fun. Intense at times, but not addictive like what I perceive a rush to be.

I would say that hunting does at times really make me feel out of this world.

Wait, that statement is probably what does it for me. I'm not certain the specifics, but knowing I've got but one shot at doing something, and getting that something done - that's my adrenaline rush.

Cool - in a post I discovered my answer . . .

JB

Merlin can probably attest to this...

...being near the top of the ladder on a double-pull on a steep roof and having the ladder's feet fold on you.  That set's my nerves ablaze.

MAN OH MAN! :D

EVERY adjuster has some photos somewhere of "the roof" where they had some bystander take photographs as they did the last leg of the triple pull off the 8/12 old & rotted comp roof slope - to show their surviving family members.... :blink::wacko::unsure::unsure:

Merlin -

I also like it when the 28 ft ladder just misses the top of the parapet wall by about 2 ft. Like most things - getting up there is one thing, getting off and down is completely another.

1. Coming out of Turn 7 of Road Atlanta on a ZX-6R, getting a little greedy on the throttle and almost losing it. (surprisingly, actually lowsiding in that same corner later on an RS125 was a surprisingly relaxed event).

2. Shooting at a match in Germany (maybe the German Nationals?) when I was about 13 or 14 and coming in second on a stage to the German national champion, Andreas Mankel (who later that year went on to be in the top 20 at the US Nationals). I remember, as I unloaded and showed clear, it was one of the few times where I absolutely KNEW I had shot a smoking stage.

3. Having some 10 year old kid standing in the middle of the street point a gun at me. Gotta love ghetto Waco.

4. Stepping on a cottonmouth while playing golf. It was near a water hazard. I jumped about 5 feet sideways.

5. Having the dubious honor of being the first motorcycle racer to crash in what was the then new Turn 10A at Road Atlanta. This was actually only an adrenaline rush because of the enormous embarassment I felt at dumping a bike in a lot of Georgia red clay at about 10mph knowing that my white leathers would forever be stained red.

In random order.

Car crash.

My first shot with a handgun.

The whole 40 minutes I took chatting about nothing before I gathered up the courage to tell the woman I love that I loved her.

The moment I said the words "Te amo" (I love you) to her.

When I found out at a mental hospital that I was going to be an intern there (luckily for 3 days only... Oh... I was so young and messed up then...).

Meeting my brother and sisters (they are half-siblings, we share the same father, but different mother. They live 5 hours away from me, and I met them when I was 16, and the oldest one of them was 7).

I'm an emotional person and feelings tend to bring more adrenaline to me than sudden or life threatening events, like near crashes, burglars, guns pointed at me (not intentionally, just your everyday moron...).

That said, it's fair to say I never skydived or bungee jumped or some other extreme sport.

2.  Being alone in the middle of a field, in the dark, having some drunk rednecks trying to run you over with their truck until you pull your 45 and back them down.  (No, I'm not remotely exaggerating.)

When did you live in Idaho?

About 10 years ago. Didn't even have to name the state and people know exactly where it happened. :P

1. Standing up from your table after some a**hole has insulted the girl you are with. Lots of adrenaline from that time until the first punch.

2. A late nite attempted robbery that didn't go quite as the robbers had hoped.

3. Waking up while sleeping in the back seat of a car, realizing you are in a roll over.

Mike

Back in '95 I had a week long trip to the Russell Racing School at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey Bay, CA. Just Formula Fords but 120mph 3 inches off the ground at Laguna Seca...best time of my life. To top it off, it was free to me!

After seeing the thread on the low plane landing I remebered the time I was in a small prop plane flying through the Himalayas. We hit some sort of pocket of air, I don't know I'm not a pilot, but faster than I could think my head was smacked into the cieling. I have no idea how far we dropped, but I could see into the cockpit, and the pilots didn't look like they were having a good time. I could go on and on about the fun of traveling in Nepal, but I used to have a saying "What's the worst that can happen, so you die a little." :D:huh:

TT,

You may have hit what is called a rotor cloud. They form on the leeward side of a moutain and are BAD news. Kind of like the whirlpools formed behind a dock on a fast moving river.

Another entry:

Driving in a hail storm with marble size hail. Like driving on ball bearings.

If like that one I've couple more, a wounded pit bull under a house, and wild bore in woods.

Boar PLEASE! That's on my list for the future!

In randomish order:

Splattering my first Prairie Dog

Winning my first IDPA match

My first sexual encounter

My first 1 night stand in high school summer vacation at the beach

Teaching an 8yr old kid to shoot and him refusing to quit firing even though it is so cold, I'm blue and shivering

Watching a 3 yr old kid do the "Clay Dance" cause he's so happy to see you (my name is Clay)

My first deer

Getting shot in the ass with a shot gun from 75 yards by the old farmer who's cows I was tipping. Still have the scar.

Saving a life by pinching off a severed and exposed artery

Skydiving

Autogyration in a Huey from 3000 feet

Snowmobile on a black diamond ski slope - 60mph, in the dark

double black diamond ski slope trying to keep up with someone who knows how to ski

suing your x-wife for contempt of court for not following the divorce decree and winning (lawyers tell me it doesn't happen)

Firing the first round I ever reloaded

Breaking a bone (broken a couple - football and being a jackass)

One of the few advantages of being old (39) is that you have had the opportunity to do lots of stuff.

Y'all are nuts on a motocycle at 100+

Autogyration in a Huey from 3000 feet
My occupation is rotorcraft maintenance technician. Or as us technicians call ourselves, helicopter mechanics. One of the least desireable side effects of the job is that every so often you have to go up and do an autorotation RPM check. This is done after major rotorhead maintenance or during M/R track and balance.

So.... I've got this BO-105 which on a good day has the aerodynamic characteristics of a slightly streamlined gun safe which we had just done done a rotor head change and a top end M/R rig. Did the track and balance and got ready for the auto RPM check.

Now when a properly adjusted Boelkow is in an auto, the rate of descent is 5000 FPM. Nearly 60 MPH straight down along with your 80 KTS forward airspeed. It gets your attention.

We climb to 3500 AGL, slow to 80 KTS, look at each other to verify that we're ready. In the words of Gary Gilmore, "Lets do this." The pilot reaches up and pulls both engines to idle. Immediately I know the feces was about to hit cooling unit. Even mechanics know that you lower the collective to the bottom stop prior to going to idle. The rotor RPM bled off very fast. The last number I saw prior to going into self preservation mode was 85%. Supposedly, if you get below 85% in flight there is nothing you can do to get the RPM back as the aircraft quits flying. Rotor blades depart the aircraft. Interesting stuff like that.

Pointed straight down at the ground, rotor RPM way low, and a catatonic pilot. Funny how I looked out the windscreen and noted where we're going to crash. Everything was calm. No panic. No adrenaline. Self-preservation kicked in. I grabbed a fistfull of both throttles and shoved. Those lovely Allisons gave me the horsepower to get the RPM up enough to where we got control of the aircraft.

THEN the rush hit.