Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Adrenaline Rush

Having ducks work right into a hole like they where on a string and cutting them right before feet wet.

Camping in the mountains in the dead of night and hear a mountain lion cry out really close.

The flush of a covey quail that your dog has worked to perfection.

Walking backwards on a 2x4 wall three stories up laying out for trusses. ( boy I miss those days of being fearless) This fits in also, walking on truss tails and having one crack.

Four wheeling in my Scout and tittering at the point of rolling over.

And one more Not being able to ski down single and double black diamond runs.

Rich

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) realizing that I had just been shot. ( I was lucky the .223 was close to it's max distance)

2) Night time high speed driving in moose country, and it appears on the road.. puha good thing their heads are so high up. I'll remember that moose's face if I saw it again.

3) When you have just warp speeded that perfect stage.

4) Being the "pray" in escape and evade exercises.

5) Left blank for future possibilities...

Biggest Rush....

1. Upon start signal descend basement stairs and go hand to hand with gun toting crackhead.

Also, punching stray dogs in the face in defense of my 2 year old niece. Nothing is sadder than when you realize the fact that you are a member of the smartest species to ever walk God's universe, and you're still punching a dog in the face.

1. Going nose to nose with a cougar, alone, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere. The most unnerving experience of my life.

2. Being alone in the middle of a field, in the dark, having some drunk rednecks trying to run you over with their truck until you pull your 45 and back them down. (No, I'm not remotely exaggerating.)

3. Being trapped in the midst a thunder/hail storm on my first solo cross country in a broken-down POS Cessna 150 with barely operative radios.

4. Getting caught in a major downdraft in my J-4 on final approach, shoving the throttle to the firewall, climbing at 55, and still losing altitude. (I think Piper Cubs were made solely for the reason so you can damn near kill yourself and hopefully live smarter in the future.)

5. Driving my old Merkur XR4ti on the back roads when I was a kid. I used to commute between home and Spokane and would always take the backroads shortcut over the dam (now closed thanks to 9/11). It's the closest thing to actual rally driving - all windy gravel roads - and no cops ever.

My biggest rushes:

1. Outrunning my headlight at night doing 130+ mph on my crotch rocket. Seeing something at the limits of my sight which turns out to be a herd of deer crossing the road. I pass through the herd still doing over 100.(the last time I went over 80 at night.)

2. Being 3 hours away from home, and getting a telephone call from saying my business is on fire, with most of what I owned inside (and uninsured...). The fire dept. saved most of the building, causing me to be grateful enough to join the dept. Leading to more adrenaline.

3. Recieving a fire page at 3:00 AM, and realizing it's my sisters mobile home that is completely engulfed. (everyone was out, but they didn't report that when they paged us)

4. Large wildland fire, fighting the fire from the edge of a ravine, when the wind changes direction. The flames engulf the truck within milliseconds. Everyone gets smoked, nobody gets hurt. Thirty minutes later, a lightning strike hits within 100 ft. of the truck. We were ready to run home at that point!

5. Being dared to repeat something I shared with our church elders. In front of the whole church........ My first experience with public speaking, and probably the biggest and scariest rush ever! :o

1- Getting shot at

2- Chasing a CBR900RR up I-395 at 140 mph

3- The 3 seconds before you hit a crack house with drugs and guns

4- Having a 16 year old in a stolen car try to push my car into a concrete wall at 120 mph

5- Reserved for things to come

Erik

1 - First 180+ mph run on the drag strip (Street-class drag car built from a 69 GTO)

2 - Sight of blue lights in front of you when you are winning your first $1000 heads-up street race (Same GTO)

3 - Impact of a bullet in the back (running from a situation I should not have been in doing something I knew better than being involved with. Amazing how much it don't hurt till you stop)

4 - That split second when you know you have lost the motorcycle and haven't hit the pavement yet (Thank God for leathers and helmets!)

5 - When the buzzer goes BEEP on that stage that will make or break your chances at a trophy for the match. (Not got the USPSA skills there yet, but have shot other sports at tht level).

James

Scenario: Making an exterior bid for at a home for a possible customer:

Finding yourself in the fenced back yard and noticed that I'm staring at a 110 lb. PIT BULL. :blink::( My .38 special seemed like a BB gun. (No, I didn't have to shoot.) And why didn't I jump the fence you ask. I'm 300+ lbs.

And USPSA

1) realizing that you are on foot, in between the robber and the getaway car

2) playing music in front of large numbers of people (my largest was 100K+)

3) driving down the road literally in the middle of a tornado as it starts to touch down

4) waking up at 3am to the house alarm going off due to an open door

5) having a "gentleman" and his three buddies threaten to "kill my white ass" at the apartment complex car wash if I didn't leave so that they could use it

6) staring down the barrel of a large caliber firearm, with the (idiot) shooter's finger on the trigger - TWICE!!!! (one a .44 Desert Eagle at 3 feet, the other a 12 gauge at 15 feet)

.....and several things I won't share :) :) :)

All have happy endings... but they still got *my* hackles up, anyhow. I guess I live a pretty low stress, low speed life, in general, so....

Had to edit - almost forget about my "favorite" firearms experiences....... ;) And they say shooting skeet is safe........

1. The first time you jump out of the helo into a hot LZ and the guys all around you are dying..

2. Hearing the pop of the rounds going by you in the dark.

3. Hunting dangerous game.

4. Motorcycles at speeds over 125....

5. Shooting a burgler in your own home...

Maxing a stage while shooting IPSC is down the list a bit.....about on par with landing a 9.9 lb rainbow on a 5 wt fly rod, with a 5x tippet and a #22 dry fly....or running 200 straight at trap for the first time, or holding your first baby in your arms...

damn my stuff seems tame :( ....but since you asked. :D

5. Swimming with sharks at 11 years old. Never done it again, but those "little" five footers look big when you are only five foot yourself. :mellow:

4. Taking a step into the utility room, and bending over to grab the basketball, only to realize I am now STRADDLING an 8' indigo snake. :huh:

3. Several things back form when I played too much pool, like; Getting out from his break, then making the ball on mine and running 16 balls straight over two games in one pocket. Winning the toss and running the set (ok, so it was only three games) in 8 ball. Coming back from 0-2 to run four straight racks of nine ball and win 9-2, snapping off a guy off who thought he had me trapped.

2. There are lots of flying ones, Hell, I don't even get to do any "cool" flying with high speed planes "what kill stuff", I bet those guys have GREAT stories. For most pilots they just sneak up on you, like the runway disappearing into a wall of convective precip and you've already descended below your DH. Low level NVG runs during familiarization flight over swampy areas, and "discovering a new tower". Having a bird try to kill you on final. Having some dumbass try to kill you at an uncontrolled field. Having a controller try to kill you with poor separation. Night IMC is a rush, but a good, smoth one.

1. for me though is Flight Instruction. Hands down. I used to describe my job as "Every day I go up four or five times in an airplane with someone who will most likely try to kill me, in ways I can not always anticipate. If they don't suceed, I get $12. Before taxes." <_<

In no particular order.

1. Riding the Big Shot 4 G's up and 2 back down.

2. Flying small craft.

3. Kawasaki H2 at > 120 MPH

4. IPSC

5. Welding the frame on my girlfriend's (now wife) '67 Camaro and rupturing the fuel line. There is something about flames in an enclosed area that dumps huge amounts of adrenaline into your system. I was out from under the car and across the shop and back with a fire extinguisher faster than I realized what was happening.

Pure reaction without thought. Wish I could shoot that way. B)

Oh, and I forgot about THIS doozy: :o:o:ph34r:

Standing atop the bluff on the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge, enjoying the sea view, only to hear bullets whizzing by my head (yes there were two people on the land well below us (several hundred feet or so... but I didn't stop to look for long) and grabbing my ex by the pants and dragging him down, shouting "Hit the deck! Dammit, someone's shooting at us!" He grumbled that he didn't believe me, but I noticed he hit the deck with alacrity. We waited quite a while before standing back up. Then, fully freaked, we went immediately back to the car. The view--as grandiose as it is from that point in Marin County looking back toward SFO--just wasn't worth a bullethole."

Since some have shared stories, I will expand on my #2-- Cave Diving.

Worst was the first time my instructor took me back into an under water cave.The difference between cave and cavern (for those of you who don't know) is you are in the "Cave" when you can no longer see the entrance. Anyway, my instructor was really big on knowing what to do what the shit hits the fan. Once we got back into the cave he signaled "OK" which I returned. He then proceeded to rip my mask off, turn off both of our lights, pull my regulator out, AND turn off my air. I almost soiled my wet suit. Dark as a coal mine, underwater, no air, and no mask. Do the drills, keep your head, trust your training. :wacko::blink::D

3AM Christmas night, I had brought home some steak bones for my Rotty. From a sound sleep I hear a wopping dog fight. My Rott goes 120# and is no push over, saw him take on two pit bulls before. It also freezing out, and no moon. I grab a 45acp and head out the door. Then I realize I'm in my underwear and pistol is not enough!. So out comes the 12 gauge #4buck and 3 cell flash light and and some pants and jacket. As I open door they are still going at it. My dogs house is couple hundred feet from house and not a direct eye shot. No lights this out in country woods. I dump a couple rounds in air hoping to quiet things down, still going at it. Time for tactical reload. I start scanning with flash light. Nothing, slow advancing to corner where noise is, and staying out in open. Come around the corner and I got lots of eyeballs in flash light. My dog had one silver and one gold eye and I don't see his reflection I got 3 sets of unknowns. I guess they sensed me about this time because the fighting stops and they are all looking at me. About 20 yards out, I put two more rounds out low over there heads, now they start coming at me slowly. Who knows why I do the same I start moving toward them. We both close the distance, at 25 feet the light now is bright enough I can identify my targets, three large dogs, shepherd, great daine, and dark long hair mutt. I finally spot my dog, he has placed himself strategically with drainage ditch to his back, dog house on right and bush on his left, so they have to come straight at him and can't circle. Great Daine is in the lead, first shot drops him right off, second shot I'm worried its the shepherd and his just to left of mine so I step in closer, second shot, drops him. A quick pump the mutt has hung back I fire a little high and the mutt runs into the darkness. I go over and cut the chain loose from my rotty. We both put our backs to large oak tree, and stand watch in dark listening for a long time. Our pulse is really moving. He had lot of puncture wound on his front quarters. So did the two dead ones. I was impressed at the performance of #4 buck. Now I have a dog gun, 870 with light, laser and extended tube and side saddle with slugs and #4 mixed, it is heavy but hell in those situations I never felt the recoil or herd the blasts, no muffs.

If like that one I've couple more, a wounded pit bull under a house, and wild bore in woods.