Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with trash talkers

When he comments, make a point to look directly at him and step out of the box. 
Take 30 - 60 to clear your head and breathe, then step back in. 

Make sure everyone knows he is causing the delay. 

Other shooters will start to “suggest” to him to pipe down. 

I like this. I wonder how rule 8.3.1.1 would apply after the “Make Ready” command was given.
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how the OP is doing now and if the guy ever shutup?  This was an interesting thread because I have never seen this before at matches.  95% of the people seem to be nice, friendly and helpful  The other 5% are kinda quit and don't want to be bothered.  

• 7 months later...
On 10/13/2015 at 10:08 PM, valerko said:

I've must be lucky. I never ran into dickhead at any shooting event. Lol

But I do quietly eavesdrop on to what the really good shooter is the saying or how they will shoot course of Fire. And watch how they do it

• 4 months later...

Trash talking is fun when you give it back.  In my experience, trash talkers can't handle it when you trash talk in return.  

I used to play a lot of golf when I was younger, and almost always played for money.  Skins, match play, whatever.  I played with different people, all who loved playing for money as much as I did.  

I remember two guys who constantly trash talked while we played.  I never let it affect me, tuned it out, and focused solely on my visualization of my shot.  At a certain point it became white noise in the background.  

One day I wasn't in a great mood so I became tired of listening to it, so I decided to trash talk, but subtly.  "Oh man, that water looks to be in play if you slice it".  I'd say this knowing that the trash talker battled a slice.  The trash talker would be on a part of the green that I knew broke the opposite way than it looks, and I'd say "you got lucky, that's a simple left to right break".  The ball would break the opposite way lol.  

Sure enough, the trash talking stopped because these people fold up like a lawn chair when you give it back.  They'll spend so much of their mental energy trying to figure out how to get to you, that their own games suffer.  

There's one guy I know who trash talks.  I just ignore him, but if it continues, I have great ways to get inside his head.  I managed to let him get into my head on one stage at a recent match, and tried to burn the stage down, and had mikes all over the place.  After that stage, I turned on my ability to tune people out, and shot well the rest of the day.  

Try giving it back.  Find something they're self conscious about with their shooting, and point that out to them.  You can either give it back, or learn how to tune it out better.  Or just don't squad with those people.  One of the things that affects my shooting more than trash talkers is people who don't paste and reset.  I try to avoid shooting with them as much as possible.  

9 hours ago, DD78 said:

Trash talking is fun when you give it back.  In my experience, trash talkers can't handle it when you trash talk in return.  

One reason I like this sport, at least at the clubs I've shot at, is that the only trash-talking I see is back-and-forth between friends, and everyone is ultimately supportive. Great shooter tanks a stage? Yeah, they're probably gonna hear about it. But if a new shooter tanks a stage, you hear a lot of "hey, that happens to all of us sometimes" along with friendly advice. 

And when someone burns down a stage? Everyone's there to genuinely congratulate them, even the people who just got beat.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:37 PM, slowhands said:

One reason I like this sport, at least at the clubs I've shot at, is that the only trash-talking I see is back-and-forth between friends, and everyone is ultimately supportive. Great shooter tanks a stage? Yeah, they're probably gonna hear about it. But if a new shooter tanks a stage, you hear a lot of "hey, that happens to all of us sometimes" along with friendly advice. 

And when someone burns down a stage? Everyone's there to genuinely congratulate them, even the people who just got beat.

That is exactly how things go at the clubs I shoot it. I have run into a jerk every now and then, but peer pressure seemed to direct them to shoot elsewhere. The VERY VAST majority of the folks I've shot with over the last 20 years have been very fine folks who really wanted their fellow shooters to do well, and have a fun day. 

Trash talkers, at least in my experience, are an anomaly and deserved to be pointed out -- chastised -- and ridiculed.