Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with trash talkers

FTDMFR

I wonder if the ‘Jerk’ thinks its just ‘fun’ between friends. I used to run with a group several years ago that was really hard on each other. It was all in good fun and almost a way to push each other harder. It made me more mentally tough anyway. It could be that he legitimately doesn’t know he’s being an ass. On the other hand, he could know or have a feeling that it does get to you and he’s hoping that will bring you down to his ‘skill level’. For some folks, the only way they can get higher is by bringing everyone else down. Sounds like you’re a proper sportsman. If its noticed by others in the squad, you should have plenty of folks to back your story to the RM.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of it really depends on how the person is portraying what they are saying. My group of friends always give each other hell during a match, especially if someone totally blows a stage. Its all in good fun and we also know when someone has had enough. I can't say I've ever heard someone just berate another shooter especially when they are about to shoot. You may just have to mention it to them in a nice way. If they don't respond to that I would definitely take it up with the match director. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Step one....  Crush his soul

Step two...  Film Crushing his soul & him acting like a dick

Step three...  Post crushing his soul on all social media sites

Step four...  Make sweet love to his wife and or girlfriend

Step five...  Make his kids look up to you

Step six...  Make his dog like you more

Or.....  Just ignore him

Is it just you or is it a general issue with him?

If it's just you, avoid squads with him.  Life is too short to waste time and energy on those types.

If he does this to others, have the Club President watch him, pull him aside and discuss it, if all else fails have the RO/Club President DQ him "if" it rises to that level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, benchmstr said:

I had a guy try to fight me at a sporting clays shoot not that long ago because I wasn't watching him shoot to verify a hit when the RO called it a miss. I simply said "Sorry man, I wasn't looking" and he immediately started screaming at me and tried to challenge me to a fight.......the RO walked away..apparently he isn't the confrontational type..all it took was me getting off of my golf cart and asking the tough guy if he was serious, and the situation was deflated. 

it didn't amount to anything, but goes to show you that the RO will not always regulate..

the bench

If the RO will not take charge of the squad (I am a RO) and assure that the squad runs smoothly without a lot of H*** S**** then he shouldn't be a squad leader. Every shooter there (or at last the vast majority) are there to enjoy themselves and shoot their guns.  And they paid money to do it! There is a reason every match has a Match Director. HE is supposed to control things, and that includes those officials he places in positions of authority. If he will not listen to calm, reasonable, complaints from the shooters.... whose money HE accepted to shoot the match.... Then find another club.

Edited by GOF

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, boudreux said:

A lot of it really depends on how the person is portraying what they are saying. My group of friends always give each other hell during a match, especially if someone totally blows a stage. Its all in good fun and we also know when someone has had enough. I can't say I've ever heard someone just berate another shooter especially when they are about to shoot. You may just have to mention it to them in a nice way. If they don't respond to that I would definitely take it up with the match director. 

There is a big difference between good friends jacking & motivating each other (been there on a local Industry Team of great folks) and some jerk just being an A-hole for whatever reason. The former is easily tolerated... the later needs to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

If its actually during the Load and Make Ready, and your in the box with your gun in your hand. 

I would holster the gun and tell the person to shut up and then tell the RO your not shooting until hes quiet or off the bay.

I have a lot of buddies that all have a good amount of smack talking at matches amongst our group, but nothing is ever taken seriously and we all go out for burgers and beer afterwards.

If something crosses the line, then it's time to let the person know that enough is enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2015 at 1:41 AM, peterthefish said:

If this has happened more than once with different people you're probably an unlikeable person.

If it's the same guy; f*#k his mom. Take video. Share with your squad mates.

This is amazing advise. A buddy of mine did that and took a picture of the guy and his mom off of her bedside table and gave it back to the guy.....

On 6/5/2019 at 8:14 PM, Matt1911 said:

I have a lot of buddies that all have a good amount of smack talking at matches amongst our group, but nothing is ever taken seriously and we all go out for burgers and beer afterwards.

If something crosses the line, then it's time to let the person know that enough is enough. 

Agreed. Just approach the immature a_-hole, and act like the adult. 

As an avid trash talker the best thing you can do is do it back, but don’t get mad...men talk sh&$ constantly! It’s not meant to be hurtful, it’s just a trash talking...if you are the type of guy who doesn’t understand male behavior and only takes offense to it as a personal attack...then you probably shouldn’t have a gun

bench

What do USPSA rules say about it?

IPSC has:

8.6.3 Any person verbally or otherwise interfering with a competitor during his attempt at a course of fire may be subject to Section 10.6. If the Range Officer believes that the interference significantly affected the competitor, he must report the incident to the Range Master, who may, at his discretion, offer the affected competitor a reshoot.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:23 PM, benchmstr said:

As an avid trash talker the best thing you can do is do it back, but don’t get mad...men talk sh&$ constantly! It’s not meant to be hurtful, it’s just a trash talking...if you are the type of guy who doesn’t understand male behavior and only takes offense to it as a personal attack...then you probably shouldn’t have a gun

bench

Talking trash back can be a good option at times.  Other times it just encourages further childish behavior.  Your classification of the entire male sex as trash talkers is way off.  Part of becoming a man, and not being stuck perpetually in one's teenage little sh** mindset, is learning how to communicate without insulting.  Trash talk is not male behavior.  It's for the insecure who get a charge out of putting others down.  If one is a bully, then they probably shouldn't have a gun.  I'm not at all saying we should restrict speech or any crazy leftist baloney, but with the freedom to say what we please, we should work together to form a cohesive and supportive culture.  Civility is the lubrication of society.

PS  This isn't to say some folks aren't more sensitive than they should be.  But the way you put it makes it sound like being an a** is acceptable behavior.

On 10/14/2015 at 2:00 AM, FTDMFR said:

It's the same guy. It's happened a couple of times now. It started out as light-hearted s#!t tests, but it's morphed into deliberately trying to f*#k with my head (confirmed to me by his shooting buddies). Last time, it was at an out-of-town sanctioned match.

It's not distracting to the point where he actually beats me, but I'd say I've let it affect my overall placement.

I'm definitely going to avoid squadding with him in the future. If it happens again, I'll have some not-so-kind words with him.

When he comments, make a point to look directly at him and step out of the box. 

Take 30 - 60 to clear your head and breathe, then step back in. 

Make sure everyone knows he is causing the delay. 

Other shooters will start to “suggest” to him to pipe down. 

18 hours ago, DixieBushcraft said:

Make sure everyone knows he is causing the delay. 

Other shooters will start to “suggest” to him to pipe down. 

+1. That's an excellent suggestion. If the other shooters don't correct the jerk, the RO will get tired of "him" slowing the squad down and take some action. There's no point in the shooter getting into fisticuffs... allow peer pressure, or the RO, let the jerk know his actions are not appreciated.

19 hours ago, DixieBushcraft said:

This is brilliant in its simplicity.  I love it!

13 hours ago, perttime said:

I've heard a RO "strongly suggest" that people keep their voices down in a waiting area that was pretty near the shooting area. No trash talk either: just chatter that was getting loud.

I have watched quite a few youtube videos where guys in the background seemed to be talking as much, and as loudly, as possible while the person making the video was filming and/or shooting. 

Seems odd to me that anyone would choose to be a richard cranium to someone when everyone is ARMED. 

14 hours ago, perttime said:

I've heard a RO "strongly suggest" that people keep their voices down in a waiting area that was pretty near the shooting area. No trash talk either: just chatter that was getting loud.

FOr me that would be an order,,  most of the time its just an occasional pipe down request... Ive gotten them myself getting too involved in a conversation.. Far as I am concerned, talking ragging and joking around is fine,, but at the "Make ready" command it should be like golf. everyone shuts up and remains silent at that point, until,, :"Range is clear"