Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely or ?

lrdchaos

I've decided to have a 2011 pistol built. I like cheely pistols but I've been looking at freedom custom gun works. What is the general consensus? Any other builder would be appreciated as well.

I know this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I don't have the option of laying hands on one prior to ordering.

Thanks

Edited by lrdchaos

I've got a 2011 Freedom Gunworks in .40. Absolutely excellent pistol. I'm not nearly as accurate as it is, but I'll have a lot of fun getting there. Works with factory ammo just fine and Bobby is always available for questions, comments, or anything you need. I'm very pleased with this purchase so far. I hope to run it next year once I get some more practice with it. I also picked up an Apeiro worked over by Atlas Gunworks but my FFL went on vacation before I could shoot it. Hope it have it late this week. Adam at Atlas is also super friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive. There's also Cameron Custom Guns, Brazos, Infinity (SVI) and Akai are all reputable builders. Cameron's take about 7 months last I spoke to him, Brazos I think is a year and Akai and SVI are 18 months I believe. I've also heard good things about CK Arms on this forum which is Freedom and Cheely putting out a combined product but I haven't shot one either.

Edited by Thaunk

Check out Gans Guns. They have a website, with lots of options. The cost are listed on the site. Send a box of parts and get a complete gun back. Mine took less than 2 weeks. Ran great out of the box, no hiccups to blame on the gun.

Numerous smiths build good guns. BUT, some of those smiths also have less than stellar customer service. If you want a great gun and great customer service, even years after the purchase, you want to go with Matt Cheely. He answers emails or phone calls typically any time of day or night(within reason). When my slide cracked(defective from STI) he hand carried my gun home with him, and over memorial day weekend, replaced the slide and had it back to me that same week. That is what great customer service looks like.

When the rules were changed in Limited division for 2013, I dreamed up what was at the time probably the wildest departure from the old rules. I wanted Matt Cheely to be the builder all along. I'd tracked his progress as an Engineering graduate and as an apprentice 1911 gunsmith so for me it was an easy choice who to throw my money at.

Matt liked the Limited gun plan. He put his own spin on it. He gave me a small discount for creativity/craziness. There was a minor problem in the finished gun that neither of us anticipated. It took 2 tweaks on the design for Matt to bring it up to perfect. None of that cost me a dime. Then I had Matt re-blue my Open gun. He decided he didn't 100% love the color match. Didn't charge me for it.

If that sounds like a guy you want to work with and a gun you're willing to wait for, just do it. No one is better.

Atlas gun works as mentioned before. Have a gun I got from Adam and it runs flawlessly. Great to deal with always quick to respond to any question I have had after the sale. I have shot cheely guns and I would always pick the atlas over them as that's my preference. Pm me if you have any questions between the two.

If you like Cheely, and are interested in Freedom you could always get a CK. After all the C is for Matt Cheely (Cheely Gun Works) and the K is Bobby Keigans (Freedom). Shooters Connection generally has a few in stock at all times.

Check out Gans Guns. They have a website, with lots of options. The cost are listed on the site. Send a box of parts and get a complete gun back. Mine took less than 2 weeks. Ran great out of the box, no hiccups to blame on the gun.

great option, Gary does great work. my experience mirrored this precisely with the exception that it was only 1 week.

I am very happy with my Atlas gun. It is my 3rd custom 2011, and everything about it feels nicer than the other 2. Mine is a 6 inch 9mm, and I'm already thinking about ordering another one in .40. Adam was extremely easy to deal with and the gun ran perfect from the 1st round.

Thank you for the replies. I've called most of the companies listed and I'm pretty set on Cheely right now. There is something about his guns that in drawn to.

You will be very happy. His craftsmanship, reliability and after sale service stands out.