Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

adjustable front sight 686 in production

wanderer

question I was asked in the weekend and i'm not sure of the answer.

shooter has factory adjustable front sight on 686 and wants to shoot it in production.

now I know it's not allowed but what can be done to allow it.

2 options presented to me were glue up the adjustable so it cant be moved (I know this one not allowed as it still an adjustable sight)

or replace with fixed sight.

so question is, can that be done? reason i'm unsure is the barrel is factory milled to accept the adjustable and a new fixed sight would have to be made to fit this cut. would that be acceptable.

The best thing to do would be to pull that barrel and save it as is and put a regular barrel in it's place. If you don't want the original, you can sell it on Enos or Gunbroker.

Edited by Toolguy

He is in New Zealand and getting a spare 6" barrel will be difficult. I know how long it takes to get one. However, I believe we could machine a new sight block and install the new pin in front sight system used by S&W easy enough, then build a proper Patridge Style front sight similar to what you use Warren, and he will be better off. I have a complete Adjustable front sight system I got of Alan550 a few years back and could use the base of that as a model for the new one.

yeap, probably be easier to make a new sight, but the question still remains, can a gun that is not production legal, be made legal by this modification.

I accept the barrel swap would be the best option to meet the rules, but might not be the easiest given location.

warren, biggest hassle is finding someone who will export, but goes something like this

get import permit here 1mth (that's the easy bit)

find someone who will export and do paper work, get export permit there $250 and 1 mth

ship $50+

sounds easy ay

Edited by wanderer

Yeah, sounds bad to me. Maybe you could help a mate get a custom barrel for PPC or some other type match and scoop up the original? I was thinking of sending a care package with a barrel, but sounds like it wouldn't be worth spending $300 and a bunch of time for a $125 barrel.

Edited by Toolguy

Got the decision. Not legal to modify the front sight to a fixed. It would be an external modification as the barrel for the adjustable sight is milled and pinned specifically for the adjustable sight.

"Original sight configuration of firearm cannot be changed and firearms with adjustable front sights are not allowed in production. However this firearm would be legal for metallic."

So if the factory barrel has an interchangeable front sight system (Current S&W) you are OK to use it in production. But to modify an old barrel to the new system will not be allowed even if you used factory S&W parts all round.

But you are allowed to change the barrel of a Semi Auto Pistol to any brand of barrel available that fits into the firearm.

Not the way the rule was intended to be written I expect.

So if I got 6" of the finest 357" barrel the world made, shaped it exactly like a S&W barrel, scratched S&W all over the outside polished it up all nice and shiny like, reamed the cylinder and inserted new tighter straighter chambers, specially tight and matched to barrel, no one will complain? :devil: