Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended mag release in SSP

MilkMyDuds

I shoot MP9. I liked the extended mag release from LFarms or Springer Precision when I was shooting ESP, because my small hands and short fingers don't have to rotate grip that much to hit the button.

However, my real interest is in SSP. I find the stock mag release on MP9 horrible. It does not stick out of the surface of the frame at all. Hitting that one has already been challenging.

I know the rule book requires SSP to use only factory drop-in mag release. I also know Glock does sell factory extended mag release (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/170748/glock-magazine-release-extended-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-37-38-39-polymer-black), but S&W does not...

As a result, it appears Glock shooters have a slight advantage in SSP with the way the IDPA rules are written.

In USPSA production, the rules allow any aftermarket mag release as long as it does not change the surface area and pattern. It can be long but it has to retain original factory shape/surface. This is more reasonable considering most manufactures do not sell factory extended mag releases.

Can HQ please consider modify the rules on SSP mag release mod to allow longer (of course still has to be within the rule 8.1.6.4) aftermarket versions given they are identical in surface area/shape with the factory one?

8.1.6.4 An extended magazine release button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than 0.2” (5.1 mm) out from the frame. The measurement is taken at the rear most part of the magazine release, where it exits the frame. When the magazine release area is recessed into the grip frame, the grip frame to the rear of the recess is used as the base of the measurement.

8.2.1.3.3 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

You quoted the applicable rule, not sure where you're getting the factory drop in requirement from. For all divisions mag release may extend .200" from the frame and not be oversized in diameter.

Pardon me for not reading the second rule quote, I think that applies to a non standard type.

Edited by racknrider

You quoted the applicable rule, not sure where you're getting the factory drop in requirement from. For all divisions mag release may extend .200" from the frame and not be oversized in diameter.

Pardon me for not reading the second rule quote, I think that applies to a non standard type.

8.2.1.3.3 is specifically for SSP "allowable mods".

Were you suggesting any extended mag release is legal for SSP as long as it is not more than 0.2 inches from the frame?

My understanding is 8.1.6 lays the ground for all (factory + aftermarket) mag releases, while 8.2.1.3.3 specifically limits what kind of mag releases are legal for SSP.

Is it possible to have HQ clarify this? I'd love to be able to use extended mag release on my MP9 in SSP.

Edited by MilkMyDuds