Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec gar mags causing reset issues

biglou13

Cz spo1 tactical

Prior to reduced power trigger spring. Mags functioned fine. Shot a club practice steel match with them.... No issues.

I did the full mod job. Minus 14 m lifter and disco.....

After recent completion of mods.. I had failure an or very sluggish trigger reset. Also observed it was only with mec gar mags.

Trigger will reset when mags dropped.

Got info on testing reset, checking trigger bar spring. Flawless operation without mag, and with stock mag.

My hypothesis became true, stronger trigger return sping compensated for mag interference...lighter spring issues

Gun function in past because of greater strength of stock trigger return spring.

I took down some metal with 500, 1200, 600 grit stone @ lateral area shoulder of mag. Where there were previous wear marks. Trigger now resets!!!

..? Any one have similar issues or ideas?

.? Any other solutions?

..? Any reason not to take material off the shoulders?

Edited by biglou13

On my 2011 mags, Dawson Precision provides spec's for dimensions they consider critical or trouble areas with their mag tuning kit.

It is sort of typical for the body of those mags to be too long front to back, the fix is to put them in a vice & squeeze them down to correct size. Probably accomplishes the same thing as your grinding but a bit quicker. Tuning body & more importantly feed lip gap dimensions is something I have become sold on, sort of need to do it annually on 2011's though depending on how bad you abuse your mags.

I am thinking that somebody knows what dimensions are correct for cz mags. Have not found the info yet, may go Rube Goldberg and just measure what I have got that works fine & try to build my own table of dimensions. Anyway, if you can find the correct dimensions & measure what you have, perhaps this will tell you if you need to keep tweaking the mags or consider opening up the trigger bar with a bit of filing.

Hmmm, maybe a call to cz USA would get you to the answer on mag dimensions ?

Great ideas. Mr flatelence.....

If I vise/ crunch the mag there will be movement elsewhere....maybe cause different issue?..

I'm not sold on its just shoulder contact points.... If I seat mag then pull down on them most of them work. I'll be milling over the seating issue

I really just want to shoot

If I vise/ crunch the mag there will be movement elsewhere....maybe cause different issue?..

Maybe. I might not have gone that route on my own, that is the way that the Dawson instructions said to do it for 2011 mags so that is the way I did it, so far so good.

trigger bar is clearing

the left side hook on trigger bar spring is twisted so it extends past bar slightly

same also rides just a hair out of grove of trigger bar occasionally

how do i fix this?

If the spring is on the inside of the trigger bar, you have to bend the spring out(a little). you do this by the screw that holds the spring in, do not move the screw just bend the spring out a little.

The Mec-Gar AFC mags (17-rounders) are distinctly different from the OEM magazines (16-rounders) - they actually have a different shape, which can be seen pretty clearly if you put them back-to-back. Their dimensions will definitely be different, and so any specified dimensions for the factory mags won't necessarily be useful in "fixing" the AFC mags.

Note that Mec-Gar 16-rounders (blued OEM type) should be identical, so if those are causing problems (and not the AFCs), then getting proper dimensions for real CZ mags could prove useful.

ETA - Or put "18-rounders" in place of "16-rounder" and "19-rounder" for "17-rounder" - the SP-01 factory mags, for which I know of no aftermarket source, are the same contour as the 16s, with 18s just having a longer tube and wrap-around pad. The MG 19s are simply their 17s with a +2 basepad, having identical AFC tubes.

Edited by Walküre

trigger bar is clearing

the left side hook on trigger bar spring is twisted so it extends past bar slightly

same also rides just a hair out of grove of trigger bar occasionally

how do i fix this?

If the spring is on the inside of the trigger bar, you have to bend the spring out(a little). you do this by the screw that holds the spring in, do not move the screw just bend the spring out a little.

How do I do this?

The Mec-Gar AFC mags (17-rounders) are distinctly different from the OEM magazines (16-rounders) - they actually have a different shape, which can be seen pretty clearly if you put them back-to-back. Their dimensions will definitely be different, and so any specified dimensions for the factory mags won't necessarily be useful in "fixing" the AFC mags.

Note that Mec-Gar 16-rounders (blued OEM type) should be identical, so if those are causing problems (and not the AFCs), then getting proper dimensions for real CZ mags could prove useful.

ETA - Or put "18-rounders" in place of "16-rounder" and "19-rounder" for "17-rounder" - the SP-01 factory mags, for which I know of no aftermarket source, are the same contour as the 16s, with 18s just having a longer tube and wrap-around pad. The MG 19s are simply their 17s with a +2 basepad, having identical AFC tubes.

Yep the ones that are different from stock....

• 1 month later...

Finally fixed issue... Got busy with work and broke down and dropped off to LGS. As suspected some 2 of 3 mags were out of spec...they needed some grinding at shoulder of mag. They also changed to another reduced trigger spring just in case. Also mec gar never relplied to my emails. I'll post photo tomorrow.

I going to now polish mag surface shoulder and inside trigger bar......