Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft Drills

iweiny

So I picked up a WA airsoft and modified it to have sights "just like my real gun". Thus far I love this gun almost as much as I love my real one... I live in an urban area and even though the airsoft cost almost as much as a cheap .22 I can shoot this in the back yard or even the living room!

Anyone have any drills they like to run with these? I have seen draw/fire mentioned on other threads. Reload practice is kinda out since the mags are not really identical and it is recomended not to drop them on the ground.

My buddy was suggesting that shooting 2 rds on a target was probably not good as the recoil control would be different. I am thinking there is enough "kick" to throw the sight picture off and you have to "see" the sight picture come back. Also I find the slide cycles back and leaves the sight picture close. I have not seen this so much with a real gun but have read here it happens.

My basic idea will be to have "mini" stage situations. Main things to practice are, in no particular order:

0) trigger control/seeing what I need to

1) getting into and out of position

2) shooting on the move

3) target transitions

Ira

Buy lots of cheap white poker chips. I use them for 'steel' plate racks. I mounted a bunch of clothes pins to a 2x4 and use the clothes pins to hold the poker chips. The down side, the poker chips explode when hit with the airsoft! :D

I thought about making a motorized Texas star but lack the motivation to torture myself.

Nolan

ps, buy the black airsoft pellets. I find myself visually tracking the light colored pellets instead of the sights.

Well a friend with an airsoft was over yesterday. We came up with 2 drills. One is probably comon but the other might be original.

1) Take 2 targets at about 90deg angle, (a little asci art should explain)...

T1

|

|

|

|

+-----------------T2

Load up and shoot 1 round to T1 and then turn 1 round to T2 and back to T1 etc. until you are empty. Work on speed with proper sight picture.

2) Again with 2 targets: (Ok the ASCII art is not working on this one...)

T1 T2

| |

| |

| |

| |

+<-------------------------------->+

Run from the "+" in front of T1 stop in front of T2 shoot one, run back in front of T1, go back and forth etc, until you are empty.

The hope is to learn to acquire targets faster with drill 1. Drill 2 is to practice getting into and out of shooting positions.

Enjoy,

Ira

tank69,

Yea it is one of the gas operated models. A friend has one which matches his glock and he loves it as well. In fact his is what sold me on getting one to match my gun.

I have not had a chance to "play" with mine for a couple of days but now with the time change I am going to try and run some drills tonight...

:D

Ira

Ira, try some paper plates hot glued to a paper cup, put them on a 2x2 and use it as a plate rack, every so often you will need to hot glue more paper plates (the ones for cake at a party, 4/5 inches across) but it's cheap and clean up is easy...or print out some ipsc style targets from the glock faq web site and stick those over a card board box, the airsoft projectiles stay in the box and you can reuse them. For moving targets, leave cat food in the back yard, just kidding....

michael

michaels,

I took that idea one step further... I thought to myself "I wonder if the airsoft could knock down real metal plates", like thin ones... A trip to the local hardware store revealed they have aluminum sheet metal which is thin and light... I bought some and made some square plates and they work great! Although I was surprised that the airsoft DOES put a good dent in them! I might buy the thicker sheet next time. So they are a) aluminum which means I can leave them in the back yard without worry of corosion b ) reusable as apposed to paper targets c) easy to set up and finally d) pretty close to having a plate rack when set up on the railing of my deck!

Thanks for the inspiration!

The details are I got a 6"x24" 0.024" thick sheet. They have 0.032" thick which might work better. The main thing was I wanted something which would not be too heavy to knock down. Also I was at only about 3-5yds from them.

Ira