Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training for PPC with .22 lr

cptgabriel

Hello,
I would highly appreciate if you would share opinions for using a .22 lr revolver as training for PPC.
I'm training alone, able to reach a shooting range once a week and shoot about 60 fires/ practice. Allready having a dry fire routine ( 3 - 4 times/week) I'm thinking more "trigger time" will be useful.
I have a SW 686 used both in 25 m CFP and PPC Distinguished Revolver and found a SW 617 ( .22lr) for sell.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Good idea if you can find 22LR ammo. I shoot PPC with a S&W 6" 14-7 and have a 6" 617. With the same grips they're almost twins except for the chambering. Would be similar with a 686. Practice with one will be like practice with the other.

Gotta be careful about 617s, they're addictive...

This is a good strategy.

One recommendation would be to increase the difficulty of the shots by maybe 10-20% since .22 is pretty forgiving.

(Move the targets back or use smaller scaled targets)

I think I have to buy a .22 revolver for cost savings. Obviously I'm oriented to shoot group for PPC and most of my training is done at 50 yards line.

Also I'm thinking that adding .22 lr practice at my dry fire will benefit because I'll have a better response about trigger control and front sight acquisition than in dry fire.

But I wasn't so sure that the knowledge gain with .22 will transfer to .38 spl in contest. :)

Where I live .22 ammo box price it's a quarter than .38 spl, even cheaper.

Best regards.

Edited by cptgabriel