Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giving 9 major a 2nd look.

Open1215

This was the 3 loads for today. Randomly decided to take video. I'm working on slow-mo... no luck yet. Sorry for the odd angle. I'm on my phone propped up by ammo boxes. Haha

Please let me know if the videos dont work.

Thank you sarge.

Edited by Open1215

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what kind of primers are you guys using?

Small Rifle is the safe bet

Any small pistol primer but Federals. Small rifle primers absolutely are not needed and are a relic of the old 175 PF days.

Has anyone here ever pierced a small pistol primer? I generally use CCI or Winchester so I can save my Federals for my Production guns with light springs, but I have shot major loads loaded with Federal SPPs before with no issues.

I used info in this thread to work up a load for my new CK Thunder 9mm. Glad I started low and worked up in .3 gr increments. Just goes to show you every gun is different.

Zero 115 JHP

7.5 gr WAC

1.167 COL

CCI Small Pistol

1518 FPS

173PF

The 7.8 gr load defiantly lets the comp work and I saw no signed of overpressure but it was 1580 avg FPS at a 180PF

Agreed. More palm slap with very little rise. Even being more straight back push, it's soft.

I shot this earlier today, my left wrist is killing me so I shot just over 50 rounds. ( I took 200)

So I would imagine that feeling better, It would be a bit better.

I used info in this thread to work up a load for my new CK Thunder 9mm. Glad I started low and worked up in .3 gr increments. Just goes to show you every gun is different.

Zero 115 JHP

7.5 gr WAC

1.167 COL

CCI Small Pistol

1518 FPS

173PF

The 7.8 gr load defiantly lets the comp work and I saw no signed of overpressure but it was 1580 avg FPS at a 180PF

Zeros are fast bullets and MG are slow bullets.

Zero 115 JHP

7.5 gr WAC

1.167 COL

CCI Small Pistol

1518 FPS

173PF

Sarge I get my Zeros for about $120 per 1K which is a bit cheaper than the MGs are listed. The Zeros certainly make major with less powder in my experience and are shooting about .75 in groups at 15 yards which is about as good as I can hold. I hear a lot of good about the MGs but am I missing something?

And as a follow up...........

7.8 was noticeably flatter and I am not sure that the extra push was all that derogatory. Given that there appeared to be no signs of over pressure and 7.8 seems acceptable in most loads, is there anything wrong with going to 180 to get a bit flatter shooting load?

Edited by MJSPDRPIG

Zero 115 JHP

7.5 gr WAC

1.167 COL

CCI Small Pistol

1518 FPS

173PF

Sarge I get my Zeros for about $120 per 1K which is a bit cheaper than the MGs are listed. The Zeros certainly make major with less powder in my experience and are shooting about .75 in groups at 15 yards which is about as good as I can hold. I hear a lot of good about the MGs but am I missing something?

And as a follow up...........

7.8 was noticeably flatter and I am not sure that the extra push was all that derogatory. Given that there appeared to be no signs of over pressure and 7.8 seems acceptable in most loads, is there anything wrong with going to 180 to get a bit flatter shooting load?

By the case Montana Gold 115 JHP are $365/4000 which is far less than Zero at $120/k.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, can anyone post a pic of how full the 9mm case is with HS-6 loading for 115s? Been thinking about going open for a while and that was one thing I always wanted to know.

c756a605869103db8ac75dd027b7c7bd.jpg4a4154112fbb0071b35343efb46b4db6.jpg

Here you go. It leaves .203in from the rim.

Out of curiosity, can anyone post a pic of how full the 9mm case is with HS-6 loading for 115s? Been thinking about going open for a while and that was one thing I always wanted to know.

c756a605869103db8ac75dd027b7c7bd.jpg4a4154112fbb0071b35343efb46b4db6.jpg

Here you go. It leaves .203in from the rim.

Thanks! I actually bought an open gun and started loading 9 major since I asked that question. It really forces you to be smooth on the press.

This is 8.5g hs 6 btw. I forgot about that. Sorry.

Also I ran into something really odd today. I found a S&B 9mm case marked

S&B 9mm M it's short, it's 9mm kurts. It looks list like a 9mm. I only saw it because the bullet fell off due to no bell on it.

Be sure to pull it! This was in bulk brass I got.

This is 8.5g hs 6 btw. I forgot about that. Sorry.

Also I ran into something really odd today. I found a S&B 9mm case marked

S&B 9mm M it's short, it's 9mm kurts. It looks list like a 9mm. I only saw it because the bullet fell off due to no bell on it.

Be sure to pull it! This was in bulk brass I got.

9mm kurz(short) is a .380 9mm M is a Makarov. it's 9x18 while a .380 is 9x17 (and of course the old favorite 9x19 Luger) The makarovs drive me nuts, they will load for me and I don't find them until I put the finished round in the case gauge, the .380's I miss pop out of the plate when I try to prime them because the head is smaller than the 9x19, not so with the Mak.

Ya. I've gotten .380 before and had a few oddball pieces but the headstamp for this looks very simular to 9x19. Normally I catch them when sorting sorry stepped brass. This one slid through having never seen that headstamp before.