Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open gun for less than $2,500?

Absocold

I've started researching pistols for Open class but I don't want to spend a ton of money right out of the gate. Usually I buy once cry once but this is a big chunk of change for something I haven't done in over 20 years. Before I buy a custom job or build one myself, I want to get a cheap-ish starter gun to make sure I really want to keep at it.

Looking to spend less than $2,500 total for the gun, two mags, mount and C-More. 9mm or .38Super, no .40's.

So far I've only found two at this price point. Tanfoglio Gold Team and SPS Vista Short, both right around $2,100 for everything. Not sure if I'd like the grip angle on the Tanfo (1911 lifer, Glock-angle hater) and the Vista doesn't seem to get terribly good reviews.

I know the first response will be to buy a used gun off the forum, but not being able to test drive or at least personally inspect the gun first would make me very nervous. So I'm looking for other options and any recommendations as far as new guns in this price range.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to keep in mind is that open guns are finicky. Buying a brand new STI Trubor is not a guarantee that you won't have issues. If anything, your odds are better with a used gun from a reputable seller. The kinks should have been worked through.

I'm a gold team shooter (and fan) but honestly if budgets an issue and you like 1911s you are best off going for a used 2011 (trubor would be fine). If you buy a new sps or gold team and don't like it you'll loose a bunch on resale.

If you buy a used 2011 open gun you have a good chance at getting something you can shoot competetively in open. Then if you decide you like it you can sell it without much financial hit and buy the custom (or factory) 2011 open gun of your choice.

Just be patient with the classifieds. I got my open off here and couldn't be happier. It started as a used trubor and now it's what I want. I've tinkered and have found out what I want on the gun and will order an custom sometime in the future related to my current trubor.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I LIKE working on a gun and getting it to run. After a year and a half with the Trubor I finally got it to run consistently. Like was said before, buy a used one. The classifieds here and on USPSA website have guns usually for sale. I would say you are going to pay 2000-2500 for a good used Trubor.

Just sold an as new Tanfo Gold Custom and broke in STI 2011, both 38 Super, both went for under $2500 each w/ lotsa mags and I included brass and bullets w/ both. Deals are out there but ya gotta pay attention and move quick.

I just picked up a used open on the classifieds $1800 for the gun 3 140mm mags and one 170 mag plus brass and dies ... Just keep a eye out on the classifieds ... After one match with it I already have another open gun on the way :) it's a bit addicting !! Most fun u can have with ur pants on

I'd check with Red's Trading post of Idaho. They advertise and sell on Gunbroker. They say to call for best price as their listings are at MAP. They have been willing to make deals in the past. Good luck.

Reds is a local shop to me would never send anyone there I know ... been taken by them more than once .. Just personal experience

Thanks for the replies so far. To answer some of the comments and questions:

I do reload but know I would need to pick up a chrono.

If I got the Tanfo I'd want it in 38SC because apparently trying to make major in a V12 9mm is a pain. If I went 2011 I'd want 9mm just for the joy of not having to pick up brass anymore. I see a lot of used 38SC 2011's for sale but fewer 9mm's.

A shop very kindly offered to build me a 2011 under budget but they have no pics of any 2011's on their website or Facebook page, nor can I find any reviews of their work anywhere at all online. Anyone ever heard of Idaho Custom Arms?

I'll be headed down to the Nationals on Friday or Saturday to find someone who will let me try the grip angle on a Tanfo to see if I hate it (probably), check out the vendors and look for anyone willing to sell me their baby. Being surrounded by well-armed professional shooters should be an acceptably safe place to be carrying cash :devil:

Thanks for the replies so far. To answer some of the comments and questions:

I do reload but know I would need to pick up a chrono.

If I got the Tanfo I'd want it in 38SC because apparently trying to make major in a V12 9mm is a pain. If I went 2011 I'd want 9mm just for the joy of not having to pick up brass anymore. I see a lot of used 38SC 2011's for sale but fewer 9mm's.

A shop very kindly offered to build me a 2011 under budget but they have no pics of any 2011's on their website or Facebook page, nor can I find any reviews of their work anywhere at all online. Anyone ever heard of Idaho Custom Arms?

I'll be headed down to the Nationals on Friday or Saturday to find someone who will let me try the grip angle on a Tanfo to see if I hate it (probably), check out the vendors and look for anyone willing to sell me their baby. Being surrounded by well-armed professional shooters should be an acceptably safe place to be carrying cash :devil:

I just got a message from Idaho Customs as well. I asked for photos and specifics. I couldn't find any info online, either.

Idaho customs is my go to shop they are a few miles from my house and George Kinslow is a very good gunsmith ... Chad heider is the owner of the company and he's always treated me good ... He's a dealer of Sti also seems to be able to get good prices on factory guns also ... They are a fairly new company but their gunsmith has been around for quite a while and is very popular in southern Idaho

Here are some photos I got earlier from Idaho Customs:

imagejpeg_017383_zpsxwkxuyp9.jpg

IMG_7440_zpswzf8bzrb.jpg

IMG_7571_zpsltewpa6n.jpg

IMG_3065_zps7l7to2eo.jpg

I really like that slide stop thumb rest on the open gun. Do you know if that is available somewhere? Edited by Shmella

Like everyone said, be patient and look for a gently used one. Usually these will have the kinks worked out of them! I started down the plastic open gun path. Not sure I would go down that path again. I'd stick with the 2011 platform.

My very first open gun was a glock ... I didn't enjoy it at all ... Wasn't even sure I wanted to try open again until I shot a 2011 race gun .. All it took was about half a mag and I was in love don't ever see myself shooting anything else