Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Mark Iv Series 80 Question

john pen

I've got a Colt Mark IV series 80 government that I just bought (I owned it before and bought it back from the same fella). As I was stripping it to clean it, I noticed that the firing pin plunger and spring were missing. Ive ordered another set and wasn't sure exactlly what, If anything held it into the slide. Anyone be able to help ?

Thats part of the series 80 parts, looks like someone "de-80-fied" it ;)

I think the 80 series firing pin or extractor (bot hare special 80 series parts) is what holds the plunger in place.... and make sure you still ahve the 2 little 80 series levers in the frame that ride next to the sear and hammer as well..... not that you NEED them, wihtout the plunger, etc....... but as long as you're fixing it back to stock.

Thats part of the series 80 parts, looks like someone "de-80-fied" it  ;)

I think the 80 series firing pin is what holds the plunger in place.... and make sure you still ahve the 2 little 80 series levers in the frame that ride next to the sear and hammer as well..... not that you NEED them, wihtout the plunger, etc....... but as long as you're fixing it back to stock.

Yes, they are there..thats what caused me to look at the plunger or lack of. The firing pin thats in there has a groove (for lack of a better description) towards the back that lines up with the plunger hole. Im guessing the dummy took apart what he could see and didnt realize it fell out when he had the firing pin out..I hope!

Thats part of the series 80 parts, looks like someone "de-80-fied" it  ;)

I think the 80 series firing pin is what holds the plunger in place.... and make sure you still ahve the 2 little 80 series levers in the frame that ride next to the sear and hammer as well..... not that you NEED them, wihtout the plunger, etc....... but as long as you're fixing it back to stock.

Yes, they are there..thats what caused me to look at the plunger or lack of. The firing pin thats in there has a groove (for lack of a better description) towards the back that lines up with the plunger hole. Im guessing the dummy took apart what he could see and didnt realize it fell out when he had the firing pin out..I hope!

I take that stuff out on purpose. There is even a handy dandy little spacer you can buy from Brownell's that replaces the parts in the receiver.

-ld

actually the spring and plunger is held in place by the extractor. the S-80 extractor has a ledge cut in it to hold the parts in place. to install the parts, provided he didn't switch out the S-80 extractor with a standard one, you remove the firing pin stop and firing pin, back out the extractor a tad, push in the spring and plunger, while holding the plunger in, push the extractor back in. to install the firing pin, push down on the plunger, push the firing pin past the plunger, and release the plunger, this will capture the F/P. reinstall the firing pin stop, push down on the plunger, releasing the F/P which will be stopped the the F/P stop.

it is easier to do than it sounds.

• 1 month later...

If you shoudl choose not to replace it (and the gun will work without one) you should get a spacer to replace the lever on the receiver that depresses the plunger. I had to de80fy a slide when I had a bomar sight added to it. The cuts for the bomar made it to where the hole for the plunger came right out the top of the slide. I originally left the lever on the receiver, but found that after you pull the trigger, the tip of the lever would get caught in the hole where the plunger was. You could not work the slide when this happened. I did not get a spacer though. I just took a stone and ground off the arm on the lever.

While most folk say to go without it (and it really is sorta superfluous) if the Commander is a carry gun, PUT IT BACK!!! If, God forbid, you either ever had an AD resulting in injury or used the pistol in self defense, a civil attorney or DA would have you by the short hairs because you knowingly disabled a safety device. You, I, and everyone else on this board know that it doesn't make much of a difference, but attorneys, jurists and bench judges aren't always shooters and may read your intentions in a manner other than what they actually are.

BTW, Cylinder & Slide make a set of replacement S80 Firing Pin Safety parts that're TiN coated to help your trigger out.

While most folk say to go without it (and it really is sorta superfluous) if the Commander is a carry gun, PUT IT BACK!!!  If, God forbid, you either ever had an AD resulting in injury or used the pistol in self defense, a civil attorney or DA would have you by the short hairs because you knowingly disabled a safety device.  You, I, and everyone else on this board know that it doesn't make much of a difference, but attorneys, jurists and bench judges aren't always shooters and may read your intentions in a manner other than what they actually are.

Sources please. I've looked thoroughly through Lexis and WestLaw and haven't seen any such case. It's just another example of gunwriter BS.

-David

Citations? Try looking up good common sense.

Yeah, quite a few gunwriters have argued for it, and for the aforementioned reason they're right.

The trick to not having one's finger ground up in a meat grinder is to keep one's finger out in the first place.

BTW, a little more tact in posting makes every forum a bit more pleasant for all involved.

Citations? Try looking up good common sense. 

Yeah, quite a few gunwriters have argued for it, and for the aforementioned reason they're right.

I deal in reality, not what some gunwriter says "reality" is. See how far someone gets in court by arguing with a judge about "common sense" instead of about the law.

If one is going to make a statement about the law (or any subject), then they should have some basis to back it up. Gunwriters are not cops, they're not lawyers, and they're not judges. They're not really shooters either. Basically, they don't know very much about shooting, the law, law enforcement, etc., yet they claim to be "experts" on each of those subjects and make all sorts of wild claims in which to sell magazines.

Why is it that no one can point to even one case, law review article, or any piece of literature that even remotely supports this "use a modified gun/reloaded bullets - goto jail theory"? Because none exist. It is some gunwriters' bs paranoid halucination with no basis in reality.

Just a friendly reminder that this forum is not here for the discussion of defensive shooting or it's ramifications in or out of the courtroom. Keep on the topic at hand which is finding parts to fill the holes in the gun.

-ld

I'll give a nod to admin here and let this die, but I just got another good reason to avoid NJ- like I really needed one. Like my internship supervisor told me, "everybody's an expert on the law except for those who went to school for it."

Back to the original issue, just put the stock or C&S parts back and be done with it. A good gunsmith can still pull off a helluva trigger with those parts installed. If you wouldn't pin your grip safety, don't go without these components.