Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Edge VS Eagle 5.0

MedicAJ

Greetings.

Looking at either the STI Edge or the STI Eagle 5.0. This will be in .40, used for both USPSA Limited and 3-Gun. Any thoughts about one over the other? Personal preference? Thanks!

Andy

I don't have either, but do have long and short dust cover 2011's. Between the two I'd prefer the long, but either will work.

As stated, you can always have a long dust cover gun shortened. Can't really take a short to a long, though there are a few things you can do to add a bit of weight if you find it too light (tungsten guide rod and such).

i have eagle 9mm and edge .40. i haven't chrono'd anything, but the edge shooting 40 minor (atlanta 180g) does seem softer with faster follow up shots than the eagle with 9mm 147 factory fed. the eagle will give you an idpa-legal gun if you ever wanted to give that a try.

I'm in the same boat right now. Looking for a dual purpose limited gun for 3gun and USPSA. Torn on the 9mm vs running a .40 minor. For the guys that run .40 minor for 3 gun then major for USPSA, does it throw your game/ rhythm to change back and forth with the same gun?

Hello: I would get the Eagle in 40. You can run major and minor with different setups. Use a tungsten guide rod and plug for major and the stock guide rod for minor. For an even better all around have a bull barrel fitted for major loads and use the bushing barrel for minor loads. I am building one right now for IDPA, USPSA and 3-gun. I still need to finish it. Thanks, Eric

I'm in the same boat right now. Looking for a dual purpose limited gun for 3gun and USPSA. Torn on the 9mm vs running a .40 minor. For the guys that run .40 minor for 3 gun then major for USPSA, does it throw your game/ rhythm to change back and forth with the same gun?

i'd guess there's less diff than running one gun in 9 and another model in .40 major. at least you have the exact same trigger, gun weight, etc from game to game.

• 3 weeks later...

Try to shoot both and see which you prefer. I"m running 9mm for 3 gun. Picked up an Eagle for a very good price and had it customized. Have a shooting buddy that owns a nice Edge w/ a Schuemann sight tracker barrel. I prefer the heavier gun, but I wouldn't trade my lighter gun for anything. I'm familiar with the old saying "Beware the man the owns one gun! He probably knows how to use it." That mantra is rarely seen these days. Get both :)

6d305dd5-d560-455a-92fe-2747ef47720a.jpg

I like the Eagle. I've shot the Edge and it was nice, but I generally don't like the extra weight at the muzzle (I love CZ 75, don't like SP01 at all). I also think the short dust cover looks better, and it's hard to spend decent money on something without wanting to like the way it looks.

According to Brazos website, the Tungsten guide rod adds about the same amount of weight to the gun as the full length dust cover. A bull barrel adds weight too. The guide rod can be removed if you end up wanting to shoot a lighter (faster) gun. I'm sure most people already know this, but it's worth saying that more weight at the muzzle damps the felt recoil, while less weight allows the gun to get back on target faster (it has less momentum). My experience shooting guns with heavier muzzle weight is limited, but I notice the extra weight right away whenever I pick one up and sight around with it. That being said, the STI guns with poly grips are pretty light (compared to a 1911) which helps with all that. The extra weight is a lot less noticeable on and Edge than it is on a CZ SP01 (yuk).

Eagle can be used in IDPA, for what it's worth. That could be a selling point should you decide you don't like it.

As people suggest to me, get the one you like!