Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

I stopped using the pins and also switched to “Brass Juice” for the wash, the brass is shiny new and even the pockets are coming out mostly clean. Dry with an old food dryer after two complete rinsings with fresh water. 

Without pins allows about 2k of 9mm to be washed at a time and no hassles of making sure all those pins are retrieved. 

Old thread but worthy. 

Edited by HesedTech

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bin on the left - 2 hours of wet tumbling with pins, Lemi Shine and a splash of Dawn dish soap. 

Bin on right - 2 hours of wet tumbling with no pins and Brass Juice. 

With pins was cleaner inside the case and the primer pockets. With Brass Juice about 85% as clean. 

I don't use pins anymore. 

IMG_20181008_1620527-999x666.jpg

IMG_20181008_1622267-999x666.jpg

Well this thread made me try another batch without pins..and another batch...and another batch. I guess I'm converted now. I'll be using 9mm of lemishine a squirt of Dawn and 1hr 45min on the tumbler. I agree with the above statement. 90% as clean as with pins. I can take that for pistol brass and it is less work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've cleaned pin-less for quite some time now. The pins were a pain, particularly to my Dillon loaders. I broke a good number of decapping pins on the loaders from pins jammed in the flash holes.

I typically load in fairly high volumes and looking inside of each piece of brass for shiny, stuck pins was just one more unnecessary step...the tumbler does just fine without pins.

Garland

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DRock said:

Amazon is 159.99 all the time too. I think I got mine a few years back for around a hundred bucks on a flash sale there

19 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Amazon is 159.99 all the time too. I think I got mine a few years back for around a hundred bucks on a flash sale there

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess it's not that much of a special after all.

I get emails from the different shooting sites but don't look at Amazon very often. Guess I should start.

Dave

Lol, I meant, I wonder what Brass Juice is made of. I'm guessing it's likely an existing product simply rebranded and repackaged. 

Also, I was informed by my friend up a few threads, that you can reuse the solution a couple times, just wondering who does that? How many times can you do it? 

12 minutes ago, slavex said:

Lol, I meant, I wonder what Brass Juice is made of. I'm guessing it's likely an existing product simply rebranded and repackaged. 

Also, I was informed by my friend up a few threads, that you can reuse the solution a couple times, just wondering who does that? How many times can you do it? 

so far, the Frankford Arsenal cleaning solution has worked best for me. $15 a bottle and three capfuls is plenty to get the brass sparkling clean. No need for lemishine etc either.

I'm going to try something different as an additive for wet tumbling WITHOUT pins.

A stretch here, but a product recently "discovered" for motorcycle cleaning that has become all the rage is a laundry product called SHOUT.

Spray it on, rinse it off...done, works great.

I've tried it and have some on hand to try wet tumbling  with.

I'll post back with results,

?

Edited by Kenstone

47 minutes ago, Kenstone said:

I'm going to try something different as an additive for wet tumbling WITHOUT pins.

A stretch here, but a product recently "discovered" for motorcycle cleaning that has become all the rage is a laundry product called SHOUT.

?

Following. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Kenstone said:

?

OK I tried the shout laundry stuff...

I have no "as fired" brass, this stuff was dry/vibe tumbled before I wet tumbled with Shout.

Before:

DryTumbleS.jpg

Edited by Kenstone

… and after pic, wet tumbled with Shout, NO PINS, Amorall w/w, Dawn, Lemishine, for 2 hours.

ShoutS.jpg

So not much improvement, but primer pockets look cleaner to me, inside the case not so much.

I'm going to try Oxi Clean next.

TIP: adding a few drops of FABRIC SOFTENER will knock down the foam/suds from the Dawn/Armoral W/W.

Edited by Kenstone

7 hours ago, BillR1 said:

No pins for me either. I use lemishine and Cascade dishwasher liquid.

Thanks for posting...

I'm trying different/common "soaps/cleaners" to find what works the best, but if it's gonna cost as much as Brass Juice why bother.

I searched "carbon cleaner" on amazon and got quite a list, and some of it was water soluble.

But it seemed to be used undiluted, which is cost prohibitive.

Do you have any pics of bass wet tumbled with dishwasher liquid?

😀

Edited by Kenstone

On 11/6/2018 at 2:09 AM, slavex said:

I wonder what Brass Juice is.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, slavex said:

You and me both a suspect the same thing. I was hoping they had an Materials sheet or something.