• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

new to the FART, but I like it so far.

Question:  can you just let the pins air dry in a plastic box?  they take up a large area if you spread them out on a towel to dry and it takes a long time.

Hint:  dont tumble different calibers together.  My first test run was a bunch of assorted brass of various calibers.  the different sizes insert themselves into each other like drunken teenagers and have to be pulled apart manually to get the pins and water out.

i store the pins in one of them cheap disposeable tupperwear type containers you buy at the grocery store. i leave the top off and they dry on their own, just keep somewhere where you wont knock it over, it would be an PITA to try and pick them all up.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone has compared the tumbler B to the franklin, however if you haven't had the chance to use both. I would suggest just getting the franklin, with the plastic molded body you save weight and can put many more cases in the tumbler. I do quite a bit of reloading, so I found the tumbler B as sold by stainless media tumbling to be not as good of a deal in the end. I easily processed 1000 pieces of 5.56 and I couldn't come anywhere near that with the B. Just food for thought. 1300 pieces of 9x19 can be done at once also. 

• 6 months later...

Just ran my FART for first time. 

Est 700 rounds 

Primers in

Once shot but filthy brass

Stainless pins

Supplied cleaning solvent

2hours

FA dryer 

I was amazed at how clean and shiny it came out. I can see how guys become brass snobs with a FART. It shines like jewelry. I’m pretty sure I’ll move up to A class now!!    j/k

Update after two and a half years of using the FART. Still running strong, no problems.

I did a huge batch at one point and left the wet pins in the sealed up tumbler for months, when I next used it the pins were still wet and still looked new so the stainless content in them is more than enough to prevent any corrosion worries from not drying them.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Going to get one. Broke my vibrator last night. Anyone use the magnet that they recommend?

gerritm

Try it without pins first. Unless you want the primer pockets cleaned or the insides spotless, it isn't worth the hassle.  I tumble ~750 for 90 minutes without pins then bake in a dehydrator for 90mins. Works like a charm. Although I do wind up tumbling the rounds for 30min in walnut to help prevent sticking on the MBF funnel.

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

Going to get one. Broke my vibrator last night. Anyone use the magnet that they recommend?

gerritm

I just got a magnet from Harbor Freight for about $2. About 1/4" thick and maybe 1 1/2" round. They may vary from store to store.

I put mine in a small plastic bag to when picking up the pins. It helps to get them off the magnet.

I've heard the large FA magnet works well. Some folks have had rust issues.

Dave

Also I've recently been visually checking the inside of every piece of brass for pins because I found a 9mm with a pin stuck inside. I can't remember the size but they are the eBay pins with the red bullseye on the package that say they will never get stuck.

Edited by louu

11 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Can you air dry them with a fan on a cookie sheet or oven @ 200 degrees? What is easiest & works?

gerritm

In the warmer months I put the cases on a towel and dry them outside. Takes a couple of hours in the sun, longer on a cloudy day.

In the winter months I spread the cases on a towel on my work bench and have an old window fan that I turn on them for a couple of hours. Then I usually let them sit on the towel for a couple of more hours. I stay ahead of my reloading and cleaning so I always have plenty of clean dry brass. No need to put it in the oven or dryer to hurry things up.

Dave

23 hours ago, gerritm said:

gerritm

Type in Gold Sand Magnet on ebay and you can get one just like the FA for a fraction of the cost. 

Edited by echotango

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

Can you air dry them with a fan on a cookie sheet or oven @ 200 degrees? What is easiest & works?

gerritm

Set them outside from anytime between oh,  8am and 7pm, with our heat they'll be dry in about 2 hours. Or check a thrift shop for a cheapo dehydrator.

Better yet if you've got a truck with a black bed liner, lay out a towel, pour over the brass & wait.

Edited by SCTaylor