Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
usa259

Shot size for Trap and Skeet

Old thread, but...

+1 on #9

ETA: I shoot 20ga skeet

Edited by JFoley001

I shoot 8's for skeet and 5 stand, 7 1/2's for handi cap trap and anything longer than 30 yards. 7 1/2 for any rabbit target also.

On Thursday, October 01, 2015 at 2:47 PM, usa259 said:

Is there much of a difference between 7.5 vs 8 vs 9?

I mostly use 8

sometimes shot goes through without breaking clay.

going to go up to 7.5

I've been shooting skeet for well over thirty five years.  In all guns I shoot #9 shot.  Now being a veteran shooter I shoot 1oz loads in 12 gauge and, at times, 3/4 oz loads in the 20 gauge.  In shoot offs from stations 3, 4 & 5 I use #8 shot in all guns.

Use #9 for skeet- gives maximum amount of shot in your hull- except for the winter time where the clays may have moisture in them and may be frozen. They are harder to break when this happens, so use #8 shot.

For handicap trap use #7.5 shot- you will need the extra energy in the pellet as you approach the 27 yard line to break the clay. Remember the golden BB. In doubles trap use #8 shot and shoot quickly. Use #8 shot when shooting 16 yard trap- this will break the clays and you have lots of BB's in your shell to do so.

When I was shotgunning, all serious Skeet shooters I knew used No 9, period.

I normally shot Trap with No 8, I did not seem to get as good breaks with 7 1/2, which may have been my barrels response.

No 8 1/2 was a fad for a while, I shot a little and could not see a difference in scores or appearance.