Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me chose a 3 Gun Shotgun

BC27

Rose Action Sports does great work on shotguns. He has been shooting a M2 and is shooting a Beretta 1301c for a match this weekend. I have had a Versamax for 3 years with zero issues. Several good choices today, my suggestion is to go to local matches and shoot several different guns to see which one you like the feel of best.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really appreciate all the feedback and I feel a little closer to chosing. Clearly there are a lot of good choices. Pretty much seems like you can't go wrong with the M2, Versamax, A5 or 1301. 1301 seems best "out of the box" while the M2 seems to have the most potential (aftermarket support etc..) I think it's really between the M2 and 1301 for me right now. If I get the M2, it will probably be the 26" for versatility.

Edited by BC27

BTW, I know there are lots of these types of "which gun" threads all over (which I've read) but most are about a year or more old. I think the relevence changes with time and the amount of aftermarket support a gun develops (or doesn't) so thank you again for all the current opinions!

I got a VM Tac shortly after they came out and have really enjoyed it (compared the 870 I was shooting! ), I'm a bit on the "big" side so the weight has not been a issue. Another guy that shoots a lot of 3G had a VM sold it and migrated to the M3K - has two (one a back up gun) for the price of one VM. He is a smller guy so the weight was an issue and has had good results wiht the M3K. Another guy I know had / has an M2 and hs migrated to the 1301 with good sucess.

Due the price point I see more shooters going with the M3K but I think it comes down to a personal choice thing.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

If you're sensitive to recoil the versa is by far the softest shooting and that 3.5 inch loading port makes a big difference. If I had to do it over again I would buy the versa max competition and send it to crums for a new lifter and trigger job and call it a day. I have a lot of neck and shoulder problems and this is the only shotgun that works for me.

Ok, I finally made my choice and ended up with an M2. I really think I would be happy with most of the guns I was considering but ultimately, the M2 seems to be the best choice for my usage and needs. I haven't shot it yet but I have ordered a Nordic extension and I'll continue on from there. Once I shoot it a bit, I can decide if I want to send it to one of the many capable shops for enhancements. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I wouldn't even shoot it, just pick your smith and send it off. There are a number of fine ones. In no particular order

Benny Hill - Triangle Shooting Sports

Mike Cyrus - Accurate Iron

Taran Tactical

Rose Action Sports

I personally have a 24" Accurate Iron with a RCI tube, some TTI parts, and it is highly reliable and shoots much better than I do at this point. I have shot one of Taran's as well and it was an excellent piece of work too.

If you are actually going to race, make it a race gun. You will be frustrated in what it cannot do if you don't.

I shoot a 1301, it is a great gun, needs very little work to make it a good shooter. HOWEVER, if I was buying a shotgun today I would buy a M2, since they are now more available. First add an extension tube, the fit good set of sights to it, then the good Taran Tactical lifter. Save up a few extra bucks to open the loading port. You should have good shotgun for around $1600-1700.

What kills the 1301 is the serial number position, keeps you from opening the port more. I think the lifter on the 1301 is perfect, I have had problems keeping a shotgun feeding 100% with a fully welded lifter. To be honest I have big hands and thumbs, like wear XXL gloves, so my thumb never gets caught up on the 1301 lifter.

I also have the Beretta 1301 Comp and agree with The Donald.

Browning A5. Open the load port, and a tube, your ready to rock. Add a rear sight @ a later date if it doesn't shoot slugs poa. The auto load feature is very handy, it allows you to gamble a little bit and not get penalized much. I wouldn't even consider the fn or mossberg. M2 is king of the hill from its reliability track record. Versamax, soft shooting, eats anything,reliable, quality not on par with any of the Italian guns. Stoeger is a great shotgun for the money, swap a few benelli parts in and you have a winner. Beretta, great shotgun, quality parts, eats anything, reliable, loading port issues because of the depth of the tube in the receiver. You could win a match with any of them, go to the range and borrow everyone's and try them for yourself.

Browning A5. Open the load port, and a tube, your ready to rock. Add a rear sight @ a later date if it doesn't shoot slugs poa. The auto load feature is very handy, it allows you to gamble a little bit and not get penalized much. I wouldn't even consider the fn or mossberg. M2 is king of the hill from its reliability track record. Versamax, soft shooting, eats anything,reliable, quality not on par with any of the Italian guns. Stoeger is a great shotgun for the money, swap a few benelli parts in and you have a winner. Beretta, great shotgun, quality parts, eats anything, reliable, loading port issues because of the depth of the tube in the receiver. You could win a match with any of them, go to the range and borrow everyone's and try them for yourself.

The left handed Benelli is a pain in the A$$. The bolt opens to left but the bolt release is still on the right hand side. I know someone with one and he would much rather have a right hand one and deal with it.

Can't the Beretta and VM run somewhat lighter loads due to the gas action? I've had some people tell me their M2 and M3000s had issues with 2 3/4 DRAM loads so they stick with at least 3.

For left handed Shotguns, I think VM comes in one and the bolt release is on the left side.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two jams in my M2 over 5000 rounds of bird so far. One was a bad primer (no boom) and the other was a mangled shell I shouldn't have put in the gun to start with. I'm happy knowing that the failure rate of my M2 is nearly the failure rate of the ammunition. I will clean and lube it after every match, respring it once a year and know that it will last many seasons at the rate I shoot.

There are a few old timers around that suggested the M2 based on more shooting experience than I can imagine. I owe them a thank you. With the M2, I can focus on 100% of my energy improving my technique. "What if my M2 breaks" never crosses my mind.

Did you have yours upgraded by anybody or did you dyi?

I've had a Stoeger M3k on order for over three months and it's going to be at least another month before the current shipment comes through customs. Beginning to lean toward the Beretta 1301 Comp. I had a chance to run one at a local match when my pump gun when belly up (yep, it can happen). Didn't get much of a chance to check it out in detail, had to grab n go. Does seem very light for the size and cycles very fast. It seemed to have no issue with my cheap Estate field loads and slugs. Thanks for the input folks.

I run a 1301. Really nice shotgun. Have the loading port opened up plenty for quads. It is the bomb. That said, I borrowed my buddies M2 at Multi-Gun Nats last year when my MKA 1919 puked itself dead on the first stage. The M2 is a great SG. The recoil is a little more than he 1301 but nothing at all that would make me not grab one again. Loved how light it was, even compared to the 1301.

• 2 weeks later...