I received my Delta Point Pro

window2time

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good and thanks for that information. Can you take a picture from behind the sight (as if you were looking through it)? Just looking at your pictures, it looks as though they may have made the sight window a bit larger. Thanks!

My first impression of the optic is really good. Things I like are.

• You don't have to remove the optic to change the battery
  • You can leave it turned on all the time and after 5 min of inactivity, it shuts down and then turns back on as soon as you pick it up
  • The lens is bigger than the old delta point. It is also bigger than my RMRs. I think it has as much lens area as my RTS2 optics but it is hard to tell for sure as they are quite different shapes
  • The original delta points were very reliable for me even when slide mounted and I am hopeful the DP Pro will be as well. Many others don't hold up well to being slide mounted
  • The fit and finish is great. It looks like a quality piece. I like the steel band around the outside of the optic, it looks like it will hold up well

I just received it and mounted to my Glock 17 this evening so I have not had a chance to zero it or shoot it yet. I hope to get to the range in a few days.

Edited by window2time

I have not shot it outside so I can't report on that yet. While indoors I compared it to my RTS2 optics and the Delta Point is brighter. I can't wait to shoot it and verify brightness outdoors.

With the original delta points I owned both the triangle and the dot. I sold the triangle as I did not like it but I think that is just personal preference. I like dots

Edited by window2time

Had it on order since January through the LE program. I don't think anyone has them in stock right now but I noticed that some retail sites indicate they expect to receive stock mid October. I don't have any special insight but I am thinking these are going to start shipping broadly in a few weeks. I live within 20 miles of Leupold. I am guessing that lots of orders went out at the same time mine did but shipping only took one day to me.

From what I understand the glass has about the same width as the RTS2, but a bit less height.

RTS2 glass is 25.76 mm wide and 22.01 mm high according to the C-More homepage.

I couldn't find anything on the Leupold site regarding the Deltapoint glass size, but I found a picture through a Google image search (that I apparently can't link to due to being a new user) with measurements. I don't know how accurate it is, but according to it the Deltapoint glass is 26 mm wide and 18 mm high.

It doesn't sound like much, but 4 mm less height would give a significant difference in surface area. How much of a difference that would actually make while shooting I really don't know.

If you would be so kind as to measure the height and width of your new Deltapoint 2 that would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Even though I cannot link directly, the picture can be found on usarmorment dot com. Looking at it again the sight pictured seems to be the old Deltapoint and have a different shape to the glass (curved bottom, vs straight on the new one as pictured above), so the dimensions might very well be different as well. I think the new one maybe looks slightly bigger? Really, really, really interested in measurements of the new Deltapoint now.

Edited by Nibbles

Guys, these optics all have different shape lenses so the measurement of height and width is not going to be sufficient in really understanding the area of the lens size and how it compares to other optics. I will take a few cell phone pics side by side with other red dots and see if that helps you.

I got it out to the range today and it was great. It was easy to zero. No more locking screws. Just elevation and windage adjustment that can be made with either a screwdriver or a dime. They have fine clicks that feel like a high quality ratchet. After getting it zeroed I shot between 200 and 300 rounds in a simple speed steel setup.

The dot was easy to find in the large lens and it was bright enough for me on a bright sunny day. It is brighter than my RTS2 but not as bright as my RMR. It was plenty bright for me. The dot is a good size for me. It is big enough and bright enough that I had no trouble finding it but it wasn't so big that it obscured smaller targets. I did use my shot timer. My splits and transition times were at least as good as I would normally expect. I am not as fast as many on this forum but I still had fun. :)

I really like the optic. It is my new favorite. The only nit I have is the illumination control. Most red dots I am familiar with such as the RTS2 and RMR have two buttons for controlling intensity -- one button to increase it and another button to decrease it. The DP2 has 8 illumination intensities and you select the intensity you want by using a single button to scroll through until you find the intensity you want. Out in the sun I kept scrolling past the high intensity and then had to press 8 more times to get back to it. In the future I will just always leave it on high intensity and don't plan to ever shut it off. When left switched on, it shuts the dot off after 5 minutes of inactivity and back on the second you pick it up. I am thinking that will work fine.

Overall, I love it. I am buying more of them. Will post size comparison pics soon.

I know my pics aren't the best. I just snapped them with my cell phone. I am hoping they are good enough that you can get a size reference.

This is the new DP Pro next to an RMR. This is an awkward pic since the RMR is on a rifle. I prefer not to use RMRs on pistols as the lens size is too small for me and it is too easy for me to lose the dot. However, I love using them as a backup optic for close targets on my rifles as I never lose the dot as long as I have a cheek weld.

Anyway, you can see that the DP Pro has significantly more lens area than the RMR

i-XnV8qRf-L.jpg

Here is the DP Pro next to the RTS2. Obviously they are a very different shape but I am estimating that they have roughly equivalent lens area. I like the shape of the DP Pro the best as I think it maximizes lens area for the footprint it consumes on the pistol.

i-HFTCfK2-L.jpg

Pictures look great, thank you very much. Especially the RTS2 comparison. Looks like this Pro model is a just that little bit larger than the original Deltapoint that was needed. I definitely need to get one now.

Too bad about the illumination control, one button and scrolling sucks compared to two. The motion activation sounds similar to what the use on some of their scopes, and I loved that on my VX-6. Still would have preferred two buttons for illumination though. Do you hold in the button for manual off, or do you have to scroll to the 'off' setting?

You say the clicks on the adjustment screws are like a fine ratchet. Are they so fine/soft that it seems likely they will move, or do they feel solid?