Bob's Range Diary

GunBugBit

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Haven’t posted here for a while.  Going on four straight months working from home.  Shooting two practice matches per week having started to shoot matches at both Cowtown and Ben Avery, but not dry firing much.  Lifting weights at home every day and have lost twenty pound so I’m moving around pretty well.  Did dry fire some this weekend.  No lofty goals, just want to be considered good by my shooting buddies.  Life isn’t too bad - much better than I deserve really - and I will continue shooting.

Be safe my friends, shoot straight.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shot a USPSA All Classifer last night.  It was 115 degrees.  It is difficult to do well in such conditions.  However my rugged fellow Arizona shooters showed up in strong numbers and we had a good time.  It's just good to be getting some matches in.  Soon the weather will be much more pleasant here.

Glad you had fun.  115 is not an easy thing to handle but if you bring lots of water and a good hat it's manageable.  I skipped this months Steel Challenge Match because of the heat, but I'll be there is September.  Come on out and have some more fun with the great people at Cactus.

• 1 year later...

Joined nearby Cowtown range which helps tremendously with live fire practice.  No more trying to find spots in the desert.  Instead, I can reserve beautiful shooting bays at a great facility and practice properly, as much as I have ammunition and energy for.

Only shooting Monday night USPSA matches for now.

No big goals this year, just want to be out there in the match environment, enjoying the people and the overall experience.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 1 month later...

Single Stack shooting is going pretty well.  I didn't shoot matches for over a year and got back into it shortly after the start of 2022.  My latest USPSA hit factors haven't been spectacular but I could tell my fundamentals were getting more solid after a month of dry/live practice and a few matches.  A couple of light bulbs came on technique-wise that I was hoping would show up soon in a match, and they did.

I'd not shot any Steel Challenge for two years so I signed up for a Sunday match and had my all-time best total time in one match, with several all-time best stage times (Accelerator, Pendulum, Speed Option, Roundabout (79.31% - all-time best percentage in any shooting game)), and now stand 6.5 seconds away from A class.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I've shot two Thursday night practice USPSA matches with the new Atlas Nemesis using Precision Delta "Long" 180gr 171 PF ammo.

Results: I am happy to have won three stages (one all-steel, one all-paper, another a mix of steel and paper) in the first two matches with the Nemesis.  It's very easy to shoot this gun accurately.  Shooting steel goes great.  I'm destroying Texas stars and other steel - without makeup shots - with hardly any effort.  I'm trying to go fast on paper so I've racked up a few mikes and no-shoots, but as with my Single Stack shooting, I tend to get a lot of A's whether shooting major or minor.  The Limited division is well represented in these matches so it's nice to have a bit of competition, whereas in Single Stack there are often only a couple of other shooters.

As of yesterday I got everything needed to reload .40, so after last night's match I loaded my first few dozen .40 rounds.  Some are 180gr coated Black Bullets and others are 180gr Precision Delta FMJ.  Will chrono these over the weekend.  I have three range sessions scheduled so I should be able to arrive at a load the gun and I like.

Edited by GunBugBit

One change I like about the Thursday night match is they switched over to USPSA scoring rather than the Time Plus scoring they used for years.  I like to be able to see the hit factors and just be in more of a USPSA groove, which makes this match more of a true practice match for USPSA, which has always been the intent I believe.

Also wanted to note I've been active again in Steel Challenge for three months.  I'm 2.69 seconds away from A in Single Stack now.  Last match was one of the rare ones where I didn't get a new best in any stage, so I have a list of things to work on.

• 1 month later...

I'm finding lively competition in the Limited division at one of the local matches (Cactus League Thursday Night at Ben Avery in Phoenix Arizona).

Last week I put in quite a bit of dry fire practice and had done the usual weekend live fire practice.  Thursday night came and I thought I shot quite well - no penalties, decent hit factors (including an all-time high HF for me of 12+ on a hoser stage).

Unlike the previous two Thursdays, I didn't win a single stage, but had more fun just being in the mix of spirited competition than I can remember in a long time.