Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
GunBugBit

Bob's Range Diary

It was a perfect day and you out did yourself.   Great shooting Bob.  I has a great time shooting my 617 instead of one of my autos.  It was the second best match I've had in a year.

Posted (edited)

My friend recently shot his first match, a very happy occasion.  I know we are going to have a lot of fun shooting together.

Three years into competing, with nearly one full year off, and I'm still not that far down the road in my journey of improving raw skills.  Like most people, in matches I'm going for smooth and sure draws and reloads, and definitely an accurate first shot.  If I work hard at improving speed in dry fire sessions, then my live fire speed tends to improve of course, but not by huge leaps.  I do notice that stages tend to go better because my gun handling is more automatic, and my accuracy consistency is better, from dry fire work.  Occasionally I'll get comments that my reloads look pretty fast or that my draw seems fast.  That's fine, I'm not very impressed with myself, I know what my times are whether it be in dry fire, live fire practice, or match shooting and all of it has plenty of room for improvement.  Reps reps reps.

The number one thing I want to improve currently is shooting tempo across a whole stage.  I still live in the mid C to low B zone of shooting tempo, so say the hit factors from my better classifiers.

Edited by GunBugBit

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, AzShooter said:

It was a perfect day and you out did yourself.   Great shooting Bob.  I has a great time shooting my 617 instead of one of my autos.  It was the second best match I've had in a year.

Cool Steven!  It was indeed a great day.  I almost got DQ'd, whole 'nother story!

I left yesterday's Steel Challenge match thinking I had a mediocre match.  Lo and behold, it was my best Steel Challenge to date.  I had all-time best scores on Outer Limits, The Pendulum, Speed Option and 5 to Go.  I was telling myself I was on a plateau, but apparently not so much.  Regular matches and dry fire practice keep one moving forward in spite of oneself.

<brag on>Just realized I was the top irons shooter in the match.  Beat all the production and limited guys.</brag off>

Made ‘B’ after last Sunday’s USPSA match.  It was nice to see the scores going from the club to USPSA so quickly, and the classification being updated just 3 mornings after the match.

The next classification advancement I expect soon is ‘A’ in Steel Challenge.

Posted (edited)

In the spirit of this being a training diary, I’ll mention my training.

While I am not putting the time and energy into shooting that others do, I am nevertheless improving steadily, if slowly.

A few months ago, I came up with a set of dry fire drills that I believe have a good reward:time ratio, so these are the core of my training.  For me,  I find it more effective in a day to do several sessions lasting 10 minutes to 30 minutes each, rather than doing, say, 90 minutes straight.  In addition, as soon as I arrive at a match, I do a short dry fire session in a gun handling area, using 1-inch sections of patching tape as targets (the ones I taped to a wall a few months ago are still there), and I sometimes do more between stages.

I carry two CoC grippers in my vehicle and use them during my long commute to work and back home.

I do full body resistance workouts, not as often as I’d like, but I do them.

So, nothing fancy, nothing innovative, just meat-and-potatoes stuff that I know for sure helps me.

To make further progress, I know I will need to do more training that pushes my limits, continually learn from better shooters, and watch for any bad habits that could be creeping in.

The great part is, I’m having more fun and appreciating/enjoying the guys at the club more than ever.

Edited by GunBugBit