Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Weight in Carry Optics

alma

6 hours ago, Cam73 said:

Any thoughts on the TF Canik Brass back strap for a CO gun? Based on the design of the grip, I think it would be legal per Appendix D7 22.2. 

But D7 22 and special condition 5 have me wondering...

I don’t think it would be legal as it is a non-factory part that is external on the frame. 

Send Troy an email, though, and I bet he says you can use it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don’t think it would be legal as it is a non-factory part that is external on the frame. 

Send Troy an email, though, and I bet he says you can use it.
Looks like a replacement grip panel to me.

Appendix D4, 21.4

• Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, PatJones said:

Looks like a replacement grip panel to me.

Appendix D4, 21.4

• Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

“Grip panel” and “overweight backstrap” seem like different things to me. 

Like most things in this game, it is really splitting hairs. I would like to know what NROI has to say on this. 

And this goes to further the silliness of the CO appendix. Let’s have a 45 oz weight limit, allow competitors to mill slides and frames to actually make weight on certain guns, but not allow competitors to add frame weights on other guns to get to 45 oz.... seems like a double standard to me. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, HCH said:

“Grip panel” and “overweight backstrap” seem like different things to me. 

Like most things in this game, it is really splitting hairs. I would like to know what NROI has to say on this. 

And this goes to further the silliness of the CO appendix. Let’s have a 45 oz weight limit, allow competitors to mill slides and frames to actually make weight on certain guns, but not allow competitors to add frame weights on other guns to get to 45 oz.... seems like a double standard to me. 

Did anyone ever get an answer to this?  I'm currently in the same boat with my IPSC gun.  I have a Canik Rival and ordered a brass backstrap.  One thing I find interesting is the company who sells it Taylor Freelance calls it a backstrap grip panel so that's the same wording in the IPSC rules that would allow it.

Friend runs a canik with brass backstrap, he has never been questioned about it. Shoots a match most every weekend.  I think the rule is dumb, just have a weight limit, period,  frame weight, flashlight, brass, tungsten inserts, etc etc  whatever  the max weight is the max weight done deal. Oh and imho make it a "real" carry gun weight 

34 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

Friend runs a canik with brass backstrap, he has never been questioned about it. Shoots a match most every weekend.  I think the rule is dumb, just have a weight limit, period,  frame weight, flashlight, brass, tungsten inserts, etc etc  whatever  the max weight is the max weight done deal. Oh and imho make it a "real" carry gun weight 

I agree.  I just want an official word as I don't want to shoot a level 3 and get screwed.  Already have members of our local IPSC board saying they don't think it's legal but they aren't sure either.  Waiting on reply from NROI currently. 

@cbabes

As I read your post, your question pertains to IPSC rules as opposed to USPSA ... My answer would be:

IPSC APPENDIX D4a: Production Optics Division, line 18.3 should govern here.  Further, assuming you're shooting in PO and not PO Light (App D4b) then I see no restriction on overall weight either.  If you intend to shoot POL then keep in mind the overall weight limitation of 1 KG per rule 20 of App D4b.  You're likely to blow the weight limit here with what you propose if you're shooting POL, IMO.

Good luck with your NROI ... IPSC and IROA seem loathe to answer such questions, though they should.

8 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

@cbabes

As I read your post, your question pertains to IPSC rules as opposed to USPSA ... My answer would be:

IPSC APPENDIX D4a: Production Optics Division, line 18.3 should govern here.  Further, assuming you're shooting in PO and not PO Light (App D4b) then I see no restriction on overall weight either.  If you intend to shoot POL then keep in mind the overall weight limitation of 1 KG per rule 20 of App D4b.  You're likely to blow the weight limit here with what you propose if you're shooting POL, IMO.

Good luck with your NROI ... IPSC and IROA seem loathe to answer such questions, though they should.

Thanks.  Yeah just PO not light.