Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Weight in Carry Optics

alma

I'm going to resurrect this thread for a couple reasons.

1) The rules have now been updated to 45oz.

2) I was just at a sectional Level 2 match and was pleased that the rules have solidified a bit.  I was allowed up to 45oz, regardless of my gun. 

I am shooting a G17 with a milled slide (DeltaPoint on top) and don't have any weight mods so my weight was around 26 ounces.  I'd love to use the 19 ounces of room to bulk up this "plastic" gun.  I'm thinking a weighted plug, a tungsten guide rod, for sure.

Anybody use lead tape in the dust cover?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/14/2016 at 6:17 PM, CHLChris said:

I'm going to resurrect this thread for a couple reasons.

1) The rules have now been updated to 45oz.

2) I was just at a sectional Level 2 match and was pleased that the rules have solidified a bit.  I was allowed up to 45oz, regardless of my gun. 

I am shooting a G17 with a milled slide (DeltaPoint on top) and don't have any weight mods so my weight was around 26 ounces.  I'd love to use the 19 ounces of room to bulk up this "plastic" gun.  I'm thinking a weighted plug, a tungsten guide rod, for sure.

Anybody use lead tape in the dust cover?

Check but I don't think the weighted plug like a Seattle Slug is legal. I think the weight is ok to add, but it can't extend beyond the grip.

The Seattle Slug is illegal BY NAME.  No go on that one.  Zev has a large brass weight for their magwells, and they sell the weight separately.  I might just buy the whole thing and not use the magwell.  I wish I knew what that looked like, though, to see if it extends beyond the frame.

Alright, I just tried a science experiment.  I wanted to put lead into my Glock grip tonight.

I opened up a #4 buckshot shell for the 27 balls, a #6 birdshot, and a #7.5 birdshot.  I have a Gen4, which has less space in the grip than a gen3.  First, I wanted to see if the smallest balls (7.5) would be small enough to go through the opening between the grip space and the trigger housing.  Surprisingly they do not, but it was close, so I thought the #6 shot (copper-plated lead pheasant rounds) would be better.  The buck shot was just way too big to efficiently fill the space so I didn't even use it.

I started by using a small amount of mixed JB Kwik to stuff some 7.5 shot into my Ghost grip plug. I waited for it to dry.

I poured some #6 shot into the grip space to keep the 7.5 away from the opening.  Then made a mixture of 6 and 7.5 and filled the rest of the space.  It took a little trial and error to have just enough space for the "upgraded" grip plug.

It only added a couple ounces and it shakes a bit like a maraca, even though I stuffed as many shot balls as would fit.  I think I'm okay with keeping it temporary right now, but I'd sure like to think of a way to get a slurry of shot and epoxy into the grip without making a huge mess...

• 2 weeks later...

And since you're allow to run 140mm mags in CO, you can load up the extra space. 

I have fourteen 147gr bullets in the bottom to fill the void. Each is 9.57g, 14 makes them around 133.98 ~ 4.72oz of static weight. Plus guarantee to drop free. LOL

55B5F038-1C39-401A-ABD8-D5FE3C94FE81_zps

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but hoping to get clarification now that CO is a few years older.

Have we confirmed the max weight is 45oz regardless of gun? I.e. the part that states  "Note that the weight limits in D4-18 remain in force and relevant."  is actually irrelevant. D4-18 states the gun can only be 2oz heavier than the listed weight. 

1 hour ago, Crash_Pro said:

I know this is an old topic, but hoping to get clarification now that CO is a few years older.

Have we confirmed the max weight is 45oz regardless of gun? I.e. the part that states  "Note that the weight limits in D4-18 remain in force and relevant."  is actually irrelevant. D4-18 states the gun can only be 2oz heavier than the listed weight. 

They actually made it 4oz from previous BoD meetings, check USPSA website. 

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: So what tricks are people using to get their Glocks up to the 45 oz limit? Thanks, Eric

My PPQ frame is 4-6oz heavier than stock. Mostly in the backstrap, which I hollowed out and filled with tungsten weights (meant for pinewood derby cars) and epoxy. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 8 months later...
On 12/21/2018 at 9:25 PM, lumberjack149 said:

Good luck getting a Glock to 45oz and keeping the mods internal.  You can add +5oz to +9oz pretty easy and up to 8 to 14oz extra if you are creative with tungsten weights 

Willing to share process of up to 14oz heavier with internal weights? Not denying it can be done. I guess I'm just not that intuitive to see how to get that much weight inside a Glock gen 3 but would love to be able to do it. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Just buy a x5 legion?? Good striker trigger, milled for optic, metal gun weight.

I appreciate the input but....

+ I already own several Glocks with all support equipment

+ The DK trigger system for the Glock is waaay better then the Legion I have felt

+ I have as many or more optic mount options with the Glock

+ Proven long term reliability,longevity

If I could add 8-10oz to a Glock I would be thrilled to be 7oz or so lighter than a Legion

Carve your backstrap with a dremel until it is paper thin. Carve a reciprocal groove in the frame if possible to enlarge the cavity in the backstrap. Pack it with tungsten weights and epoxy, mount the backstrap on the gun, and let it cure. 

Epoxy & silicon carbide grit over the whole grip and you’ll never be able to tell.

615AE91D-07D6-4A8E-B639-A7B37E801C89.thumb.jpeg.3b72aafe6a981f8f536c9fe196e0ad8e.jpeg

My PPQ has roughly 6 ounces in the backstrap. It helps that Tunsten is 1.74 times denser than lead.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for contributing. Right now I am working with a gen 3 so I will figure out something to do with that large backstrap frame opening. The easy way is to get a Seattle Slug and then grind it flush with the end of the grip to be CO compliant. Seattle slug is 4 oz ,would probably be removing less than half an ounce at the bottom. Not sure how much more epoxy and tungsten would add into that opening beyond 3.5 oz. Also ordered a Jentra extended large-diameter tungsten guide rod. Should be more than twice that of a stainless steel. Taylor freelance  brass extended base pad will add almost 5 oz. Yeah I can see me getting close to a target weight  I'd be happy running  in a proven platform I'm familiar with. Add the short travel,crisp DK trigger system and I think it will be competitive unit.

I meant more for the person starting from scratch. If you like striker triggers, want a factory optic cut but want the weight of a steel gun then I would recommend an x5 legion over modding a glock to death. I had a gen 5 g34 mos and it was a great gun. Not sure I would like it as a heavier gun though...

• 1 month later...

I recently shot with someone that had what I thought was a laser on the bottom of his M&P carry optic. This was a level 2 match. After the match, I told his buddy that I didn’t think he could have a laser. He said it’s not a laser, it’s a weight. He had a weight attached to the bottom of his picatinny rail. He gun was setup by a very well know shooter. I wasn’t shooting C. O., so it didn’t matter to me. 

• 4 weeks later...