Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun won't cycle, advice?

MetropolisLake

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II which I got used but it was in excellent condition, obviously not abused like many I have seen. I had it worked over with a race package and just about every option possible. Problem is, it has never worked right. It shoots, the next shell gets flicked back, the loading ramp starts to come up, but then when the bolt gets about 1/3 of the way forward, it just stops. I have to give it an extra bump by grabbing the bolt handle, pulling it back, and let it go, in order for that round to make it in the chamber. Obviously this is super annoying in matches. $2,500+ shotgun and I have to borrow somebody else's M2 because otherwise I have to manually charge the thing after every shot.

I don't know that it is one type of ammo in particular because this has happened with literally every shot on Federal slugs, Rio bird shot, and Remington Gun Club bird shot.

And, due to having borrowed another one, I don't know that it is the shooter, because the other guy's M2 cycled just fine with gun club ammo, although after the last shot one did get caught in the feeding tube, which isn't what I'm experiencing but still kinda makes you wonder.

Everything on it feels super smooth otherwise. I previously sent it back in and supposedly there was a burr on it that got fixed that was keeping the lifter from coming up properly and had to be manually moved, this was the explanation:

"I've got the bugs worked out of your gun. The lifter sticking/bolt locking back was caused by a part on the trigger group having a sharp edge that can wedge against the bolt (I have seen this before on Super Black Eagle). That was an easy fix. If you want to reliable shoot 1200 fps loads I can change the recoil spring to reduced power spring. With the factory spring the Super Black Eagle needs a 1250 fps or hotter load to generate enough recoil to cycle well. I have temporarily put a reduced power spring in the gun and shot some 1200 fps Remington Gun Club and STS shells, all cycled well. The down side to changing the spring is increased recoil when shooting 3” or 3.5” shells. Your shoulder will know the difference. Let me know if you want to go with the reduced power spring."

I'm pretty sure this reduced power spring was left in but Remington Gun Club still stops it after every shot. I'm not sure it's the same issue though, previously I had to often manually move the lifter.

I'll obviously be switching to something like the Remington Nitro's and see if that is more reliable, but what trips me out is that it's actually cycling ok, like I said earlier the next shell gets ejected out of the tube magazine, it's lifted up, but it's like the bolt does not have enough power behind it to push it forward.

So, Is the higher power spring plus a higher power load like the Nitro's the only way a super black eagle is going to function right? I was trying to avoid the nearly 50% higher ammo cost plus extra recoil more than anything. Gun Club is $6.48. Nitros are $8.99 plus kicks harder.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I picked up a near new (50 rds) Super Black Eagle II on trade. Took it home and ran several types of ammo through it. Federal and Remington Gun Club in 1200 and 1145fps. All ran flawless with factory springs. I have since worked it over for shooting tac and it still runs flawless. Personally I would be sending it back to the smith that worked it over. Anymore we take video of all our guns running before shipment. Gives the customer peace of mind and covers us in the event of shooter or ammo induced issues.

Cory,

I know we tried the reduced power springs when I had the gun previously but I'm pretty sure we all opted to stick with the standard power spring and you were going to try some hotter shells than what you we using.

Have you got a half a day sometime soon to bring the gun and some of the malfunctioning shells over to my shop? We'll both shoot it with those shell and others I have, swap some springs if needed, etc, and get to the root of the issue. I'll even buy lunch

I have a box of nitros at home, I'll run through those tonight. Shot a few 3" turkey loads last weekend and it did ok but it wasn't high volume at all. Bryan Ray said if I can induce a jam to look at the carrier due to it possibly being bent:

"Sure sounds like a weak recoil spring if it’s just failing to feed, or maybe a bent carrier. There’s a tab on the side of the carrier that keeps the shell lined up with the chamber. When it hangs up on feed cycle, before touching the bolt take a look at it and see if the shell crimp is getting hung up on the extractor."

I'll try to check that out and take a picture if there's anything worth looking at. If I come by it would have to be on a weekend or early evening.

I have a Super Black Eagle II, I occasionally get the same problem, I cut a coil off off the shell release, I run almost any ammo through it with no problems.

Seems to me when you start messing with the guns too much, you start having problems.