Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maui Scuba

ChuckS

Maui dive shop has a good reputation. Also suggest doing the initial instruction near home and open water portion in HI which should save a few $$.

Thanks for the reply! I am already certified so I am just looking for an operator to do a trip or two. I have used Lahaina Divers in the past but they tend to run cattle boats. I was hoping for something a bit less crowded. Have you used Maui Dive Shop personally?

It's been 6 years since I was there, but we used Extended Horizons and liked them a lot. Ed Robinson's was a little crowded.

Our best dive though, was renting tanks from Maui Dive Shop and doing airport beach ourselves. It's shallow, so great lighting for photos, and your bottom time is just about infinite.

The nature preserve toward the south was somewhere we wanted to dive, but storms had come from that way when we were there & the conditions sucked for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Maui Dive shlp in 2002 and found them a great operation. One quirk is that they store their boat on a trailer and launch it each day. Aparrt from that, they are professional and very accomodating. They also took care to get us to different sites each day.

While there, remember you cannot take the drive up the mountain after diving --- it's over 5000 feet. Funny sign there that says: Turn lights on in the Clouds."

Best food is at an Italian place on the touristy strip on the west coast and at Mama's fish House just off the road to Hana. Enjoy.

Lahina Divers was pretty good, but we haven't been diving on Maui since 2010. You should see if the dive company has trips out to Lanai, it may be less crowded than the typical Molokini crater dives.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I wound up diving with Mike Severns Diving. They launch out of Kihei harbor. I did 2 trips and I thought they did a very good job. We stayed at both ends of the island and I did not dive out of Lahaina. I was hoping to get out to the backside of Molokini but Severns typically didn't do that trip since it is more of an advanced dive. I decided not to dive out of Lahaina because the shops there run pretty crowed boats and also take snorkelers which generally means non-optimal dive sites. I wanted to go to Molokini to see the progress of the coral. I first dove it in the late 80's, prior to hurricane Iniki. I dove a couple years after the hurricane and the coral was just devastated. A guy on the boat said that the waves were breaking over the top of the crater! I was there again in 2002 and things were recovering nicely. I was hoping to see it again a decade later. It turns out that I should of just went with Lahaina Divers on one of their dedicated Molokini trips. Oh well, next time....