Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

will 30gr of bullet make a difference?

rustybayonet

With 200s you will use a little more powder than with the 230s. Muzzle rise will be less and you will be back on target sooner. I prefer them.

Many of the people shooting single stack have gone to 185s for the same reason.

Try both and see what you like.

I don't see how it would affect PF. I load my 200s to 172~175PF. When I was using 230s I loaded them to the same PF. The only difference between them is the recoil characteristics and you use a tad more powder for the 200s. I'm about to drop down to 180s just to see what they feel like at 175PF.

You need to switch loads (powder charge) when going from 230 to 200gr or it will certainly affect your power factor. Same going the other way.

I know I will be changing the charge. But how do I get the PF? Is it calculated or is there a definite way to know?

You need to switch loads (powder charge) when going from 230 to 200gr or it will certainly affect your power factor. Same going the other way.

I know I will be changing the charge. But how do I get the PF? Is it calculated or is there a definite way to know?

Velocity (fps) x Bullet Weight (gr) / 1000

It appears there are some semantic issues here. Here is a Shooting Times article on the subject. http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/power-factor-recoil-bullet-weight-compensators/

If you look at the 45ACP uncompensated chart you will find that a 185gr bullet loaded to 165PF has 4.58 ft/lb of recoil, white the 230gr loaded to 165PF has only 4.27. You can certainly feel the difference, but it is minor.

The 185 load required 6.2gr of 231 to reach major white the 230 only required 4.6. That is why the recoil increased. The 185 load produced 6% less muzzle rise than the 230 at the same PF. You can expect the 200gr to be right in between.

As I stated above, all else being equal, the difference is in the recoil characteristics and the amount of powder used.

It appears there are some semantic issues here. Here is a Shooting Times article on the subject. http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/power-factor-recoil-bullet-weight-compensators/

If you look at the 45ACP uncompensated chart you will find that a 185gr bullet loaded to 165PF has 4.58 ft/lb of recoil, white the 230gr loaded to 165PF has only 4.27. You can certainly feel the difference, but it is minor.

The 185 load required 6.2gr of 231 to reach major white the 230 only required 4.6. That is why the recoil increased. The 185 load produced 6% less muzzle rise than the 230 at the same PF. You can expect the 200gr to be right in between.

As I stated above, all else being equal, the difference is in the recoil characteristics and the amount of powder used.

That's what I said

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've tried them all and I prefer 230s.

You are not the only one. Doesn't matter what I try, for 45 seems I keep coming back to the 230 gr RN. Plus they really give those steel plates a smack. Brings a smile to my face every time.

I just started reloading 45 for IDPA matches, both for cost and softer shooting. I bought some 200gr RN and SWC and worked up some loads with Bullseye. After much experimenting and testing, I have settled on 230gr RN. You mentioned cost being cheaper for 200gr bullets, however 200 will use more powder. I think the 230 has a softer recoil and they are as accurate for IDPA as the 200's

Glad to hear that trend. I've tried them all, and have been shooting 230-grain LRN for the past three years again, and I was starting to think that maybe I should start experimenting again. Y'all have convinced me to not bother.