Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Texas Star

Tmcfarland

I was always taught to start on the top with a Texas star. Take the plate at 12 o'clock, then the ones at 2 and 10, then the ones at 4 and 8, then the bottom. Keeps the weight low on the star and keeps it from spinning. I have never shot a double star, but would do it the same way, top to bottom.

12, 2, 10, 4, 8 o'clock shooter here. Get your hits and you can just imagine that they're static lollipops and you're transitioning in that pattern.

Clear the front and then clear the back. It's what works for me.

I've seen shooters clear the double by aiming at 3 o' clock and just unloading 10 rounds as plates spun by. I tried that once and I think I went cross-eyed. Plus, I went through 2 17 round mags trying to clear it that way.

I went back to shooting the front star first, then the second like I did the first, and ended up coming 1.8 seconds short of stage win against the open guys.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I absolutely love shooting Texas stars and was able to purchase two of the a few years ago for a rather low price.  The safest way to shoot them quickly is to start at the top and work your way down one side or the other as the plates come to you.  The safest way overall to shoot it is top, then top one side, then top other side and then the remaining plates.  This is a good strategy for c class and below shooters.  The absolute fastest way to shoot it starting on the bottom and working your way to the other side at the bottom as they come to you.  Even on my own stars I have a hard time doing this on demand.  It makes for a fun setup when you only offer the bottom plates by blocking the top ones either a wall and barrels.  Creates a lot of complaints as well.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, Mushki25 said:

I absolutely love shooting Texas stars and was able to purchase two of the a few years ago for a rather low price.  The safest way to shoot them quickly is to start at the top and work your way down one side or the other as the plates come to you.  The safest way overall to shoot it is top, then top one side, then top other side and then the remaining plates.  This is a good strategy for c class and below shooters.  The absolute fastest way to shoot it starting on the bottom and working your way to the other side at the bottom as they come to you.  Even on my own stars I have a hard time doing this on demand.  It makes for a fun setup when you only offer the bottom plates by blocking the top ones either a wall and barrels.  Creates a lot of complaints as well.

I think I'd just take the penalties if I ran across that.  :unsure:

For me, I start on either the right or left shoulder (2 O-clock or 10 O-clock) and plant there and wait for the targets to come around.  It's not the fastest, but the most disaster-proof.  I have shot 2 targets and locked open, been able to reload, and come back up in the same position and, like magic, there are the targets....  the problem I have with the top to bottom version is the disaster factor if you miss, or worse yet, miss, then hit...then the blasted thing is spinning fast and unevenly...

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 9:54 PM, Tmcfarland said:

What is the best way to attack a Double Texas Star. My thinking is to start at the top and work around clockwise direction and don't miss. What say the masses?

with a pistol, some say shoot one star first then go to the second, when I shoot a shotgun I always aim for the real plates hoping to get lucky and hit one of the front ones as well.  On the single ones the fastest way seem to be the top one of the shoulder ones the other shoulder one and then the others will roll up to you

with a pistol, some say shoot one star first then go to the second, when I shoot a shotgun I always aim for the real plates hoping to get lucky and hit one of the front ones as well.  On the single ones the fastest way seem to be the top one of the shoulder ones the other shoulder one and then the others will roll up to you

Just ran one again this last weekend with shotgun, got 3 doubles, 2 fell off and got 2 hits on the last 2. 5 shots and 10 plates...it was sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If you're asking the question the answer is probably above all, go 1:1. Then the "head, arms, legs" version of working top to bottom. Front star entirely then back star.

Trapping them as they swing at the bottom is faster but if you were doing that now, you wouldn't be asking us. So do the safer, secure way but above all strive for 1 for 1. Shoot the center of the plates, not just "at them".

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lol.  You should always be weary of the stage plan your competitors give you....especially if they are shooting after you in the line up!  Bottom is quickest, just learn how to do it.  Main thing is to go 1 for 1, obviously. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top to bottom. Direction doesn't seem to matter. I watch the previous shooters to see if the star is turning a certain way. Not all of them turn the same, so you can't shoot all of them the same.