Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the barricade in NRA AP without wings

Csbassplayer2003

Any exprienced action pistol shooters have techniques for right and left hand for the barricade stage? Particularly for non open guns where you dont have wings to mount. Ive shot the stage before and just never am quite sure what to do with my hands, or just shoot it free handed. Left side is particularly bad and needs improvement. Any advice is appreciated.

If the thread is not getting moved, you at least deserve a serious answer. The problem that you have is not so much no wings but no shroud.(not allowed). So if the slide touches the barricade you are screwed: twice.

The answer is to wear a glove, baseball batters glove is good, and knuckle up to the barricade. The r/h side is the easiest and the thumb on the left hand can be used as a rest (human wing). On the l/h side you can knuckle up by canting the gun. OR change hands and shoot left handed . Open shooters change hands to shoot the r/h side of the barricade. Takes practice but can be done. It doesn't matter which way you do it you will need to record targets from each side and distance to get your POA and POI .Believe me ,the barricade is the hardest event in metallic shooting.

If you can free hand it accurately that is the way to go. Or a combination of both; freehand 10 & 15, knuckle up 25 and 35.

Hope this helps.

Coatesy

We practiced it today with mixed results. CSbassplayer's hands are to large to use my technique effectively, so I think canting the gun on the left side will be the ticket. He's wearing a glove as well. We have a big match next sunday, so saturday will be spent trying to finalize his barricade method. It took me a long time to figure out my barricade technique, but now I shoot 450-470 consistently with prod/metallic guns. Just like you said, it takes learning POI movements to master.

Rippin is one of my RL friends so he can troll me a bit :P Im starting to get a bit nervous about it. I have yet to have a good barricade score and it is starting to shake my confidence a bit. Free handing only works so well until the distance is increased, at that point my uneven stance is making me string off the target. Left side is just as bad. The speed and off balance plus lack of stabilization is giving me 2-3 mikes per side after a full 48. That is waaaaay too many points to throw away. Left side, no matter how i position, my trigger finger knuckle has barely enough room to function. Ive tried some things at home but no dice.

If you can free hand at 10 and 15 as you say, then you only have to knuckle up at 25 and 35. Get a position that is 'comfortable' and shoot groups. Change your point of aim to get those groups in the middle and then write down where you aimed to get the result. Next week is a long time in shooting and trying different things to get a result can get confusing. Remember the 10 rings scores the same as the X ring and is twice as big. Don't try and cherry pick with open sights; leave that to the red dot boys. Keep trying and it will come together eventually.

Use all of the time you are allowed. If you are loosing points it is more likely that you are not waiting for the sights to settle before you are breaking the shot. Slow down and use all the time at 25 and 35. You have to take more time and care watching the sights at those distances to get good hits....Something to try anyway.

DougC