Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max recoil pad

Pat Miles

A young lady who is wanting to shoot 3 gun brought her Versa Max to me to cut the plastic buttstock. Figuring that I needed to cut about an inch off I started looking what would be left of the mounting screw bosses for the recoil pad. After cutting there will be a short stub for the top boss which makes me nervous.

Does Remington offer shorter recoil pads for the VM so I won't have to cut the stock as much. I know that I can buy a shorter aftermarket recoil pad (Kick-Eez, etc.) which will accomplish what I want but I was wondering what Remington might offer if anything.

Mark is it labeled for the versamax or is it just a remington pad? Brownells have them?

The KickEze Sporting Clays pad is a grind to fit pad. You will need to shape and fit it to the stock. Brownells does carry them.

That pad on the VersaMax is huge.

I reduced the LOP on mine by 3/4" by just changing to a different Remington pad. I had been thinking of cutting the stock and fitting a pad. Then one day at a store I compared various Remington pads. I also buffed the pad to give it a more rounded (side to side) look. I used some Armorall to take away the tackiness of the rubber. The shorter pad and the rounding gave me a LOP that feels near perfect.

I don't recall which item # I used and it well be a while before I'd be able to go thru the boxes to find out.

Edited by mitommy

Yeppers, the factory pad is big. I finally cut 3/4" off the length with a utility knife and then used my belt sander to reform it. Rounded over the edges and put a generous taper on the top of the pad so it would not hang up going into the shoulder pocket. I cut 1/4" of the stock and cut back the screw bosses with a sharp wood chisel. Now the gun fits the lady.

Edited by Pat Miles

The recoil pad that comes on the VersaMax Sportsman model is a good 3/4" shorter than the one on the tactical and regular VersaMax. I switched them out, putting my longer tactical pad on my sons Sportsman, and his shorter pad on my tactical. Both fit fine.