Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Rackers & Thumb Rests (gas pedals) on Limited Gun?

JoeyMac

I asked a couple of the ROs at my last match if gas pedals (weak hand thumb rests) and slide rackers were legal in USPSA Limited. I got a few conflicting responses so I tried searching the internet for the answer... still found some conflicting answers.

What's the answer?

Can you have a thumb rest and/or slide racker on a Limited gun?

Edited by JoeyMac

They are legal. Dots and comps/barrel holes are about the only things not allowed. This was a change in 2014 and some ROs may not have updated their books or knowledge base. Slide rackers have been allowed, the thumb rest was the big change for Limited in 2014.

The way to get around getting conflicting answers is to refer to the rule book.. If you don't have one you can look at soft copy on the USPSA website.... And as stated, they are both legal in Limited as of 2014's update......

I asked a couple of the ROs at my last match if gas pedals (weak hand thumb rests) and slide rackers were legal in USPSA Limited. I got a few conflicting responses so I tried searching the internet for the answer... still found some conflicting answers.

What's the answer?

Can you have a thumb rest and/or slide racker on a Limited gun?

Joey,

The important thing to remember is that in Limited (L10 and Open also), unless the rules specifically outlaw something, it is legal. If someone challenges you on some feature of your limited gun, politely ask them to cite the rule! (from the current rule book ;) )

Later,

Chuck

Same thing happen to me when I shot limited few months back on a level II match, an CRO stop me after giving the me the make ready command and wanted to bump to me open. I told him check with your MD to confirm legalities.

Edited by Mrguns

from ipsc website regarding Standard division rules

Standard Division
1 Minimum power factor for Major 170 2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125 3 Minimum bullet weight No 4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9mm (0.354") / 19mm (0.748") 5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major 10mm (0.40"), see below 6 Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix E4) No 7 Maximum handgun size Yes, see below 8 Maximum magazine length Yes, see below 9 Maximum ammunition capacity No 10 Max. distance of handgun and allied equipment from torso 50mm (see Rule 5.2.5) 11 Rule 5.2.10 / Appendix E2 applies Yes 12 Optical/electronic sights No 13 Compensators, ports, sound and/or flash suppressors No, see below

Special conditions:

1. A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm x 150mm x 45mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply.
  2. The handgun is placed inside the box (and ultimately removed) by the competitor with the slide (or revolver barrel) parallel to the longest side of the box. Rear adjustable sights may be slightly depressed, but the slide must be fully forward, and all other features of the handgun, (e.g. collapsible and/or folding sights, slide rackers, thumb rests, grips etc.), must be fully extended or deployed when the gun is seated inside the box. Additionally, telescoping magazines and/or magazines with compressible base pads are expressly prohibited.
  3. Only porting of barrels is prohibited. Slides may be ported.
  4. 357SIG is also an approved caliber for Major, subject to achieving the applicable minimum power factor.This concession has been extended until 31 December 2017.

Not sure what you mean? What margins posted confirms what I said. They are legal in IPSC standard division rules but as they must be fully deployed/extended when put in the box it does somewhat limit how big they can be. :)

Who me? I'm saying basic RO KNOWLEDGE includes keeping up with the rules. The gun wouldn't have gotten a second glance from me.

I'm agreeing with you I think?