Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the FLDC make that much of a difference?

ArrDave

Starting to toy with the idea of building up a CZ for competition. I'm looking at a base SP01 or 85C to build up. The 85C seems like a winner, because it has an adjustable rear sight and no firing pin block. That said, how much of a difference will the FLDC of the SP01 make in terms of recoil? which would you build up?

Was (to be tactful and not say what really want too) very unhappy over Prod rule change forcing me install FPB. After installing and tweaking, the only time I notice it is dry firing--never in practice or matches unless I make a concerted effort to notice it. If I just shoot and focus on sights movement etc. I don't know it is there.

I shoot an SP01 with relatively few mods. I love the pistol. 65k rnd through it. Considering making it my spare. Will most likely get 85C and mod like SP01.

The 85C might be slightly faster on transitions. Less mass to stop and settle before firing. SP01 slight less muzzle flip since more weight forward.

Proper technique either would take you as far as you want or can go in the sport.

The 85C might be slightly faster on transitions. Less mass to stop and settle before firing. SP01 slight less muzzle flip since more weight forward.

Proper technique either would take you as far as you want or can go in the sport.

^^^^This

I've shot several SP01s and short dust cover 75s.The differences in muzzle flip and transitions are subtle but noticeable. I still use my SP01 for production and 3gun. If I wanted a dedicated steel gun, I would probably go with a short dust cover model, but it is splitting hairs in my opinion.

Does it make a difference? Sure. Does is make THAT MUCH of a difference? No.

And the more important question is --

Is the difference it makes a positive one? Depends on the shooter. Some will tell you that the change in felt recoil and muzzle flip is worth having. Some will tell you the extra weight out front slows down transitions and isn't worth having. You won't know without shooting them both. Personally, I can get my loads softer than I actually want them to be, so for me, I'd chase the better trigger.

Of course, you could suck it up and spend the extra $300 to get the SP-01 Shadow, which I suspect is what you're actually itching for. ;)

recoil? in production? lol.

I personally would lean towards the sp01 shadow base model http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-sp-01-shadow-9mm-custom.html

and call it good. FLDC, no fpb, big fat safeties (which I use as a thumbrest), and (i'm told) significantly improved trigger from the 500-600 basic cz's.

fwiw, my production guns are 75b's in 40. Shooting back to back with an sp01, the difference in muzzle flip is subtle, but it exists. With either gun, it's easy to hold the front sight in the a-zone at 8-10 yards and just rip the trigger. The sights never leave the a-zone.