Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Sand" grips for the TS?

jayjay1

Hello guys,

did someone of you make some sand grips for the TS, with some epoxy or so?

I had skate board tape on it, but that didn´t really hold very long.

So I´m thinking about glueing some sand on it with epoxy or something.

Has anyone been doing this?

Some info would be great.

:cheers:

I had skate board tape on it, but that didn´t really hold very long.

? Why not?

On my tac sport, I did the same as my 1911's. Sanded the wood down smoot (actually on the TS I sanded it as flat as I could to narrow the grip), and put 3m deck/stair tape on it. That stuff lasts forever for me, but perhaps I grip like a pansy.

@moto:

Maybe I´ve used the wrong stuff?

Have an original big skateboard - tape, will google yours.

I was hoping that the epoxy, glued right on, would hold better.

@MRrevolutionIX

Had those on it, but they are pretty big on the TS, my hands are only mid size.

@adamage

Have tried the alu grips, w/wo tape, they are very flat and don´t fullfill my hand.

I sanded down the wood grips, and applied 30 minute epoxy with a small brush (not 5 min it dries to fast!) and poured black sand or grit on them til they wouldn't accept anymore, and they "set". Your choice on grit, spark plug media blaster, or hobby sand... not hard at all.

I sanded down the wood grips, and applied 30 minute epoxy with a small brush (not 5 min it dries to fast!) and poured black sand or grit on them til they wouldn't accept anymore, and they "set". Your choice on grit, spark plug media blaster, or hobby sand... not hard at all.

How´s the preparation for this?

Do you just clean with alcohol, or does the surface have to be rough (sanded)?

The grip tape will stick "ok" to the wood, but will eventually peel off. Why I went with epoxy/grit. But one benefit is its replaceable if the grit wears off.

I have never had the 3m deck tape peel off anything. I have it stuck to metal (frame of my cz, bump on my 1911 grip safety), plastic (cz home-made grips), and wood (tac sport grips and 1911 grips.

But if it does, one package is like a lifetime supply, so i'm set.

Edited by motosapiens

Amazingly, I use skateboard tape and just apply it to the original wooden grips - no sanding or anything. I just clean the area with nail polish remover (essentially acetone) before applying. It sticks just fine for me and has never peeled off

Sent by Jedi mind control

Amazingly, I use skateboard tape and just apply it to the original wooden grips - no sanding or anything. I just clean the area with nail polish remover (essentially acetone) before applying. It sticks just fine for me and has never peeled off

Sent by Jedi mind control

Maybe I did something wrong, but I added some skateboard tape to different pistol grips and it went off from all of them after a while.

I don´t know why, old tape, stupid operator (me), to much and agressive hand sweat, wrong pistols (Czech), but it didn´t work for me.

:ph34r:

:blush:

Edited by jayjay1

JayJay1,

I use the plastic grips that are not very sought after. I imagine you could use the wood grips as well. Anyway, I cleaned them with soap and water, rinsed them really well and let them dry. I then bought two part epoxy at the local home improvement supply store (like OBI) and then ordered silicon carbide in 80-120 grit off a store on the internet (used for blasting or polishing stones). I put the epoxy only on the surfaces that I want to grip (outside obviously) and avoid the screw holes. I also did not sand since there was enough epoxy to fill in the "diamonds" and I like larger grips. Then I sprinkled the silicon carbide over it very liberally (you can reuse the stuff that doesn't stick). It has been very durable and I like the contour of the plastic grips (ergonomics) and the texture/grip of the silicon carbide.

I've been using this same package for years now.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-Black-Mineral-Abrasive-Anti-Slip-Tape/3185623

Only replace when grit wears, never had it fall off.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

We put that on my back stair case because it gets slick when it rains. Damn near had to paint over the stuff the last time I painted. It was not happy about my attempts to remove it. So if you are putting it on a gun, do it right the first time!

Edited by tha1000

• 3 weeks later...

The skateboard tape will stay on longer if you don't use aggressive cleaners, like brake cleaner, or remove grips while cleaning the pistol. Mine eventually start peeling off, but at about the same time the grip starts wearing off, so I need to replace the tape anyway. I clean my aluminium grips with alcohol and use a heat gun.

The grip tape will stick "ok" to the wood, but will eventually peel off. Why I went with epoxy/grit. But one benefit is its replaceable if the grit wears off.

how is epoxy..... replaceable?

Interested in this as well as the sand grip on my SV could use a fresh coat. Have been avoiding the issue as it seems like a pain in the butt.