Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

-1 Points down = 1 second?

Peplow530

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What problem are they trying to fix?

They are most likely hearing the complaints like "but he just sprays bullets" and "I can't run that fast, it isn't fair" This will simply drive more younger shooters to USPSA & 3G.

idpa will be resting peacefully next to cowboy action in a few years. Both disciplines have shot themselves in the foot too many times with rules and catered to the age and mobility equality crowd. Kinda sad because you can shoot two pistols at once in cowboy action shooting, now if you could just move through the stages with cocked weapons...

It has nothing to do with a defensive shooting situation. Carry guns, full house ammo, everyday gear? Ha! G34 mod'd out to beat heck, hand loaded down to 125.2PF, photographers spring loaded mylar lined vest, or course, just like in real life.

G34 with slide lightening cut that's "legal" now and modified to the gills...tactical boots, pants, shirt, hat and vest...speedy kydex holster and magazine pouches...What you don't wear this stuff to pick up your groceries and kids from daycare? What if something should happen? I always have an AR in my trunk with a plate carrier and ten mags....Roll out of the vehicle scan for threats and activate my vest and deploy my sidearm to fight my way to my trunk... ???

At the last IDPA-ish match I went to this ol boy was decked out to the 9s in a black polo, starched khaki 5.11 pants, starched up khaki vest, and a pair of those roughout khaki "desert" tactical boots that looked brand spanking new.

They are almost like caricatures.

And I bet he didn't even leave the match packing heat.

It will change the pace (and dare I say fun-factor?) of the game but won't really affect the final results. So why bother doing it?

The last time they made a rule "because in real life..." they came up with the flat footed reload and the members absolutely hated it.

I wish they would just clean up the inconsistencies in the rule book instead of drastically changing the rules AGAIN. One of the founding principals of IDPA was rule stability, after all.

I'm undecided about the announced change, and won't worry about it until it happens.

I have just one opinion I feel is worth sharing. I'm certain there will be readers who assure me that it is NOT worth sharing, but here it is anyway:

Anytime we, as shooters, demean any shooting sport or those engaged in that sport we harm ONE group: Shooters.

I'm not saying that any shooting sport cannot be constructively criticized, with the goal being improvement of that sport.

But when you make it personal and belittle individuals because of their age, physical stature, or even their shooting ability, you aren't doing our sport one damn bit of good, and are, in fact, aiding those who would love to see our second amendment rights taken away from us altogether.

At the last IDPA-ish match I went to this ol boy was decked out to the 9s in a black polo, starched khaki 5.11 pants, starched up khaki vest, and a pair of those roughout khaki "desert" tactical boots that looked brand spanking new.

Yeah, nowhere near as cool as the rainbow of individualism that is the USPSA logo-splattered jersey.

Glad to hear IDPA is considering 1 point down = 1 second. I've been suggesting that for a couple of years now and it's about time. Those who want to hose multiple targets standing in the open will shoot or are shooting UPSA anyway. It's still speed and accuracy. Only slightly more emphasis on accuracy than there was before. Great idea.

I have just one opinion I feel is worth sharing. I'm certain there will be readers who assure me that it is NOT worth sharing, but here it is anyway:

Anytime we, as shooters, demean any shooting sport or those engaged in that sport we harm ONE group: Shooters.

I'm not saying that any shooting sport cannot be constructively criticized, with the goal being improvement of that sport.

But when you make it personal and belittle individuals because of their age, physical stature, or even their shooting ability, you aren't doing our sport one damn bit of good, and are, in fact, aiding those who would love to see our second amendment rights taken away from us altogether.

Total Agree

Yea, reminds me of the very first CA state match I shot back in 98. Thought I stumbled onto a Tactical Urban Operator School combined with a professional photographers convention. And here I was in blue jeans, running shoes, Hawaian shirt running my G19 carry gun from a IWB holster shooting 127+P+ ammo. All of their magic stuff didn't make up for the fundamentals.....

The last time they made a rule "because in real life..." they came up with the flat footed reload and the members absolutely hated it.

This would be a big change to the scoring. Did they not learn their lesson from the FFR?

The right thing to do would be to let the members vote on it.

Yea, reminds me of the very first CA state match I shot back in 98. Thought I stumbled onto a Tactical Urban Operator School combined with a professional photographers convention. And here I was in blue jeans, running shoes, Hawaian shirt running my G19 carry gun from a IWB holster shooting 127+P+ ammo. All of their magic stuff didn't make up for the fundamentals.....

True, but if you have the fundamentals down, a smart competitor uses the gear that is going to work best if they want to win the game. There is a reason the 5.11 gear is so popular, including with the shooters at the highest performance tiers.

The right thing to do would be to let the members vote on it.

Did you really use the term "vote" in relation to IDPA? Now that there is funny.

IDPA should do what golf does. have a handicap, the better shooter you are, the higher the penalty. this will make every body equal in IDPA's eyes

Target zone 1 3

Master +1 sec +3 sec

Expert +.5 sec +1.5 sec

Sharpshooter scratch, no points added for any ware on the target

Marksmen -.5 sec -1.5 sec

Novice -1 sec -3 seconds we will reward poor shooting

I would be fine with changing to 1 sec per point. The scoring would be closer to what I need to do when I shoot ICORE. While they are at it they should make a hit to a non-threat 10 seconds. I would also like to see the DNF scoring changed from 3 seconds per shot to 5. Too many times I have seen people benefit from the DNF scoring and have a better score by not finishing the stage.

I would be fine with changing to 1 sec per point. The scoring would be closer to what I need to do when I shoot ICORE. While they are at it they should make a hit to a non-threat 10 seconds. I would also like to see the DNF scoring changed from 3 seconds per shot to 5. Too many times I have seen people benefit from the DNF scoring and have a better score by not finishing the stage.

DNF - Did Not Finish?

Edited by Peplow530

So from what I've been reading, scoring has been messed up since the late 90's and now needs to suddenly be fixed?

Something has either changed or HQ has been ignoring a problem for quite a long time.

I'm afraid this is starting to look like where I work.

Operating changes and reorganizations are sketched out by retired former employees (now contractors benefiting from those changes) on the back of a bar napkin.

Maybe that's not true, but it's looking like it.

Big changes have big documentation and training costs.

They also have risks...in this case the risk of running younger people out of the sport.

They are not to be made during a drinking session at the bar.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I'm one of those older guys that could potentially benefit from this.

I would rather see the sport viable way after I'm gone though.

DNF - Did Not Finish?

By the rulebook if a competitors guns jams up and they just give up and say that they can't continue the DNF scoring says they get the better scoring method, either the time when stoped plus all points and penalties or 3 seconds per shot required on the stage and no other time or penalties. Almost always the 3 seconds per shot will be better. As an example a 12 round stage is a flat 36 seconds. On some more complicated stages a Marksman shooter will end up with a better score than his competitors. The joke is if you could take the DNF scoring on every stage you would beat some people at the match. At a 120 round match your score would be 360. If they went to one second per point down the DNF scoring would look even better at the marksman level.

Another change that will make the game less fun, SLOOOWWWW. Just what is needed, right? NOT!

The notion that IDPA is ANYTHING other than a game is absurd. The statement this"game where people carry guns for self defense...." ignores the fact that if you approached a gun fight using anything that resembled IDPA, you'd be dead.

I like IDPA, I really do, but the damn rule changes designed to "fix" something that is not broken need to stop. If this is an obsession over being different that USPA, please get over it. I shoot both and believe me, they are already VERY VERY different sports.

The notion that the IDPA target really reflects "good hits" on a threat is just wrong. If that is the case the down zero ought to include a triangular zone including the head and upper chest (golden triangle). So what's next, changing the targets to reflect real "kill shots"? And BTW, for sponsors and community relations, yes community relations because we live in the real world, do we really want IDPA to be associated with "training to kill people"? In states like mine, that will NOT help the right to bear arms.

My point is it NEVER FRIGGIN ENDS! Really, STOP ALREADY!

And this is coming from a guy that just started an IDPA program.....