Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope and dot for open class

Garmil

Realizing that with the offset dot illumination i much less important you guys were right. And 4x just isn't enough for my eyes.

Looking hard at the fullfield e1 2-7 and monarch 3 2-8.

Anyone looked through both? Curious about glass quality.

the Nikon is about $100 more I do like the look of the Nikon reticle better.

No point using the 1-4 with a dot.

I am interested to hear how that Veracity is working out.

Something in the 2-3x to 8-10x variable with a good reticle seems like the way to go for Open. Someone mentioned weight...how about that bipod, and bigger comp, and etc...

I also think its funny that so many folk poo-poo the illumination in a magnified 1-X optic, but nobody uses a 1x optic with just a black dot in it. If the black dot was equally effective for the majority, don't you think we would all save a bunch of batteries and just have huge market for the new ultra tacti-cool BLACK DOTS. It just sounds awesome-er.

Edited by wgj3

My gun is still pretty lightweight wanting a 1" tube light scope. the veracity is a little big and heavy for me but looks nice. Not running a bipod currently may at some point, my current .625 taccom comp works plenty good.

Realizing that with the offset dot illumination i much less important you guys were right. And 4x just isn't enough for my eyes.

Looking hard at the fullfield e1 2-7 and monarch 3 2-8.

Anyone looked through both? Curious about glass quality.

the Nikon is about $100 more I do like the look of the Nikon reticle better.

Had a Monarch on a bolt gun. Obviously not a 2-8 but was disappointed with the glass quality compared to other scopes I had. I am very happy with my Burris. Been running in for 2.5 years. Reticle works perfectly with my load. Zero at 100 and hashes work out in 100 yd increments almost exactly.

I am interested to hear how that Veracity is working out.

Only shot 1 match with it ,still getting used to the reticle - FFP cross hair with BDC VS a Primary Arms 2nd FP 1-6 circle dot with BDC.

The match I shot it wasn't ideal for this optic,

ALL steel was painted black and a lot of mid range 75-200 yds, with long shots to 600+, so my 45* RDS wasn't optimal for many targets.

I hadn't shot it enough before the match to figure out what zoom to use at what distance so I learned on the clock :sick:

A couple stages I dialed too much and that slowed down my transitions, by the end of the match I had it figured out pretty good.

The biggest problem was the FFP reticle set at 2-3X and a black target, reticle was pretty small and I had to bracket the target instead of putting the crosshairs in the center. those stages my old PS reticle with the circle/dot would have been faster. But I've been shooting that reticle for about 2 years VS 3 days on the Burris.

For the price Burris glass is the best (clearest)I've seen.

Got to look through a few tonight.

The burris fullfield e1 has very good glass for $200 scope I was surprised and a forgiving eye box. The bdc reticle however looked tiny and hard to pick up at any power. Think it would be great for precision but not so sure about speed. Maybe it's just something that would take some getting used to.

The monarch 3 had considerably lower quality glass and cost more so it was out.

Leupold mark AR 3-9x40 had comparable glass and eyebox to the bushnell maybe not quite as good though. and the mildot reticle I think would work ok in combination with the bdc turret. It is more expensive though.

Edited by Garmil

I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8. Used it for a year or so before I found out that the Leupold folks will put custom BDC marks in the scope for less than $100. I'm still using it on my open gun. Just send in your bullet weight, velocity, and BC and they'll add hold overs.

My Vortex 1-6 can't be beat for tactical but I like my Leupold for open, lighter and with the Docter 45 degree dot, I'm good.

I also shoot the Burris FF E1 2x7 with an offset dot. I'll use the dot out to 30-40 yards and usually have the Burris set to 3 or higher for anything else. As said above, for the cost the Burris has great clarity & I tend to like the smaller reticle not crowding the view transitioning from target to target.