Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope and dot for open class

Garmil

I currently have a strike eagle on back order and am getting tired of waiting.

Was doing tac ops now Going to be running open in 3 gun. So can and will add a dot.

As far as 1-6 power goes I can't see spending a ton more for something other than the strike eagle.

With a dot however are there any better choices roughly in the price range? Don't need a huge fov or true 1x anymore.

The Primary Arms 1-6x and CCOP (around $175) 1-6x are the same scope as the Strike Eagle. So the PA is another option if you want a BDC and the CCOP a cheaper option if not using a BDC. The SWFA 1-4x is a great scope for only a little more, it is more similar to the Vortex PST and Leatherwood but nicer overall, there is a really simple aim point for 100/200/300. I've always like the Burris 1-4x Tac30 for fast shooting as the the recticle is very easy for me to pickup and eye box is very forgiving, there is really a need for a red dot with it..

Do you need a 1-whatever if you are running a red dot? I found that once I added a red dot to my rifle, I never used the scope at any power lower than 2 1/2 -3 power. I switched to a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP optic. I know that's out of your price range, but you can find good scopes like that for less.

Do you need a 1-whatever if you are running a red dot? I found that once I added a red dot to my rifle, I never used the scope at any power lower than 2 1/2 -3 power. I switched to a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP optic. I know that's out of your price range, but you can find good scopes like that for less.

How do you like the Vortex? I am entertaining moving to open and have been looking at this particular scope. I like the fact that is lighter than my vortex 1x6. Is the reticle easy to use?

If the glass is decent on that it's a good price. No illumination is a big negative though.

Looking at the leupold mark ar 3-9x42 with firedot.

I just bought the mark ar 1.5-4x20 with firedot just because it was a good deal I'll see how I like that.

I agree with never turning on the illum, IF your in Tac ops , I could see the illum circle would help on close hoser stuff. I have never used 1x, well I did try it once, the RDS on 45 was way faster

I will be getting a Burris Veracity 2-10 tomorrow to replace a PA 1-6 so we'll see. Probably never use the 2x either.

I use an Eotech for the red dot, and end up taking a lot of rifle shots with it (I've trained a BUNCH with Eotechs and I'm very comforable engaging targets out fairly far).

Dropping the 1X requirement opens up "reasonably priced" optics choices dramatically. Nikon does a Monarch 2-8X with their BDS reticle that I really, really like for Open... and it's about $300.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/riflescopes/monarch-3-2-8x32-matte-bdc.html

I keep saying I'm going to upgrade, but I can't find anything I like better for less than a grand, and even those I don't like better "enough" to drop that much money. Having the 8X on top is just about perfect, IMHO, and 2X works well for small targets up close and no-shoot traps.

Edited by dcloudy777

Got my Burris Veracity 2-10 installed and sighted in. it's much bigger than my other 1-6's were about the same wt though.

I doubt I will ever use 2x, maybe 3x on some 100yd stuff.

It's my first , first focal Plane optic so we'll see how that works at a match - Fallen Brethern next weekend.

Sighted in at 100 yds, got first round hits at 300, 350, and 400 yds using the BDC reticle, it's spot on.

Sounds like a good start! how do you mount your dot with the larger objective like the veracity? I only have rail available on my upper so was thinking ring mount when I go that route which lends itself to the 1" or 30mm tunes all the way out. I should have my strike eagle and mark ar 1.5-4 both here next week to see if I like either enough to keep and if I need to add a dot right away.

I have the Warne RAMP mount it has a spot for 45* on either side.

It doesn't seem like the zoom ring is much larger, but with both I need to use a tool(.223 round) to turn the dot on/off.

The Veracity also came with a nice sun shade, I'll keep in my range bag for those few occasions when the sun angle is bad.

I never thought I needed more than 6x, but after shooting at 400yds, and my aging eyes, it's pretty nice.

Also I can easily see target holes at 100+ yds when practicing :) man, I'm getting lazy, I used to just jog down and back. :(

Not the best pic but you can see it, with previous Optic

g3xOi1rl.jpg

This one may be clearer

mPNZvUYl.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

I'm well pleased with my Warne mounts, I was always skeptical of the return to zero when removing and replacing an optic. I tried that a while back, zero was about 1.5" off at 200 yds, probably mostly me or the wind the day I tried it.

Warne also makes a stand alone 45* mount, I have one of those as well, havent used it, it looks great though.

Edited by toothandnail

Matt,

Just to be nit picky...

Its "Warne" Scope Mounts, not Warren.

:)

jj

Thanks, my son just texted me that as well - sometimes auto correct doesn't work. But hey I'm lucky to even be typing.

Understood, just wanted to give a major supporter of 3gun their dues.

:)