Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major HS6 115gr Coated Glock 17 data/question

Gooldylocks

Just thought I would post some numbers I came up with today at the range, I know that I was struggling to find much data for 115 grain pills at major with HS6. Tons of stuff for the 124s and stuff, but not a whole lot for the 115s.

I am shooting a Gen 4 Glock 17, Lonewolf barrel, SJC 11 port comp, 13 pound spring. I think I am going to put in the 11 pound spring, because even at 170 pf not a single round would eject or feed. Thoughts?

Anyway, here are the numbers (all loads are with HS-6, 115 grain Black and Blue bullets coated, at 1.150):

6.8 gr: 142.6 pf

7.0 gr: 142.9 pf

7.2 gr: 149 pf

7.4 gr: 154.9 pf

7.6 gr: 156 pf

7.8 gr: 161.6 pf

8.0 gr: 163.7 pf

8.2 gr: 166.9 pf

8.4 gr: 170.3 pf

Anyone have any ideas about the ejection?

::ETA:: Here is a video of the 7.8 grain load, it seems decently flat to me and the 8.4 was definitely even flatter but I didn't get a video of that one because I had to use all 10 rounds for the chrono (got a couple of errors)

Edited by Gooldylocks

Does anyone else have any 115 grain data they can share? I haven't been able to get back out with the chrono since then but was considering trying some at 8.6 (or more?).

I did go back out yesterday evening (too late to chrono) to see if the 11 pound spring would make it function. But no cigar. The first 7 rounds ran without a hitch, and then it just quit. FTE, FTF, and a bunch of swearing... i would occaionally get 2 rounds before it would have a failure, but generally just one. I am thinking about trying to run my gun super wet with oil to see if that helps, any recommendations?

Your instinct is right - run the gun wet with a good amount of oil on the barrel and barrel hood. Had the first issue when I first ran the SJC 11 port. Was single shot up to 175 PF. Oiled it before I left the range, took a few more shots and no more jams. Now that it's broken in its a bit less picky.

Your instinct is right - run the gun wet with a good amount of oil on the barrel and barrel hood. Had the first issue when I first ran the SJC 11 port. Was single shot up to 175 PF. Oiled it before I left the range, took a few more shots and no more jams. Now that it's broken in its a bit less picky.

I think I will try that tomorrow. I was kind of hoping that just going to the lighter spring would help, but perhaps it will take more than that...

I wonder if with the big comp and all the gas you get running 115s if the comp working too well. This may be why you see so much data for 125s for GLOCKs a bit less powder and a bit more recoil but it runs?

I hadn't thought about that, but it does make a lot of sense. I will update the thread tomorrow with the results of running it wet. If I have time I will load up some 8.6 grain rounds as well to shoot over the chrono and grab a video of both.

Now that it's broken in its a bit less picky.

But still picky? I'm going through the same process as Gooldylocks. I'm building an Open Minor gun around the Glock 17. I originally bought a 3 port comp from Carver but sent it back to have him install the 2 port comp and lighten the slide.

You're gonna have to bump up the PF with that comp on a Glock.

You can't just throw an 8lb spring in a Glock like you can a 2011 (unless you can make a superlight striker spring work), but an 11 will definitely be better than 13.

I know another Glock shooter had probs getting HS6 to cycle reliably, WAC worked better for him. I'd try to get the PF up to 175-180 with HS6 and see how that works.

Now that it's broken in its a bit less picky.

But still picky? I'm going through the same process as Gooldylocks. I'm building an Open Minor gun around the Glock 17. I originally bought a 3 port comp from Carver but sent it back to have him install the 2 port comp and lighten the slide.

Actually it runs fine now. I ran about 200 major rounds through it, but since I mostly shoot steel I ended up getting a 5 port SJC comp and installing that. Didn't help that I used a LW barrel for my build and the leade is so short I can't load to the length I'd like to for Major.

Mine is built on a 17 as well, and I run an 11 lb spring with the 5 port SJC, LW barrel, SJC frame weight and ZEV stainless mag well.

Only word of caution is that you do still need to oil it. I've had a few jams after running it a long time w no lube. A little oil on the barrel and hood and it runs like a champ. Par for the course I guess but after never cleaning / lubing my Glock 34 I still forget sometimes.

Probably doesn't help that the LW barrel is bare stainless - a melonited one might have less friction and be less of an issue.

Oblig video of me shooting pins with my steel plate ammo (including retarded compulsive need to fire 6 shots then reload after practicing El Pres and Bill Drills the dag before).

th_71E01888-3F2D-4B72-97BD-AA378B5655C3_

Alright thanks for the help guys! I will load some at 8.6 8.7 8.8 looking for pressure signs and see what kind of power factor I'm getting.

My LW is reamed long, so the chamber isn't an issue, but the magazines seem to be. It felt like they were dragging once I got above 1.16ish, and had the mags mostly full. I can definitely see the benefit of 2011 mags now haha.

Instead of gun oil, I'd recommend Brian's Slide Glide - doesn't splatter all over you and

your clothes, and stays where it should be. :cheers:

I might have to order some as a more permanent solution, but for now I am just trying to track down why it won't work!

I've used Slide Glide for years with excellent results. I've recently been using Wilson Universal lube and it works exceptionally as well. It stays where you put it just as SG but it also works on the barrel, trigger group, safety, etc... and is easier to apply straight from the bottle.

I thought you were getting a 2011, why waste your time with all this Glock nonsense? :goof:

Couldn't afford the 2011.

+1

Oh, and I figured it would be fun to try to beat up (or more likely, keep up) on all you fools with my plastic gun. I think once I graduate I might try to get one, as a grad present to myself.

Edited by Gooldylocks