Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on which rimfire Rifle to get

Mrguns

Shooting offhand is easier with a bolt gun or other manually operated action than with a semi-auto. I started silhouette with a 10/22 that is very bit as accurate off the bench as my 40X, but the balance and shorter recoils impulse counts for a lot when standing up.

Just for some eye candy check out some of these used benchrest rimfire rifles from Dan Killough's shop in texas. He is one of the few Rimfire BR specific outfits and has some great used rifles from sone big name smiths in the ARA and IR 50/50. I spent a lot of money there before I got hooked on pistol sports!

http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/used.html?limit=all

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/18/2015 at 5:31 PM, Mrguns said:

My Daugther is thinking of joing a rifle team for college. The only rimfire rifle I got is a 10/22 ruger, I'm thinking of getting her bolt action rifle single shot for practice and I've been looking at Ruger American Rimfire and Savage Mark i or ii FVT but can't seem to find one for left hand. Does anybody if they made any of the those rifle left handed or should I look at different one's? Not looking to break the bank on this one since this is just a trial run for her. Thanks in advance.

While everyone is talking about the 10/22, which is a great rifle most likely she will be shooting NRA three position rifle. Which normally uses a heavy barrel bolt action rifle with bullseye peep sight type sights that are set up for this type of competition .

First find out what there shooting. The worst thing is to show up with a rifle she can't use. The 10/22 is great for fundamentals hunting and steel challenge . but not for collegiate rifle three position shooting. Because of three position shooting being a niche market you can get some great prices on gun broker or specific forums.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/804840127

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/804296972

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to the basics:  http://www.ncaa.org/playing-rules/rifle-rules-game

I suggest you contact the organizers at the college she's planning on attending for info.  Back in the olden days when I played that game the university supplied some acceptable rifles (although being lefty would cut down on the possibilities) until I got my personal rifle.  They might also supply other necessary equipment.  She might want to think about playing the pistol games, since a lefty handgun might not be as hard to find.  Or she might just want to learn to shoot right-handed...that's what I did. 

I don't know what the current "hot-tip" rifle is, but mine was an Anschutz 1413 Super Match 54.  Google that if you think a 10-22 could compete.  :^)

A long long time ago, is a place east of the MIssissippi River there was a coach at the Naval Academy that thought eye dominance was most important.  

My brother was left handed and our dad had a gunsmith change is bolt gun to a left handed shooter.  

I am right handed but left eye dominate-serious vision issues.  My left eye is much much stronger.

Is it worthwhile for her to learn to shoot with her dominate eye? 

BTW: TGO is left handed and shoots right handed.  Always a joy to hear him say, he does not have a dominate hand during the Schmigt Standards.

Equipment wise: there are plenty of big dollar .22s.  But the 10/22 is an ideal platform to build the best gun.  And I am not a fan of Rugers.  

My .22 ARs are Tactical Solutions and JP.  Incredible accuracy.  Get the best mags!!! A reliable gun is more important than anything else.  She needs to know her gun will work everytime so she can focus on the shot and not worry about it working.

Anschutz is the SV of .22.  Valquartsen (sp) has great great stuff.

• 2 months later...

If you can find an old  Winchester 52D target rifle - it might be an option. You can load one at a time easily or use the clip. Use peep sights or scope depending upon the type of shooting. They are very, very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...