Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting Rifle, With A Single Sight System

ErikW

I often find myself sub-consciously canting the rifle on close hoser targets, even though I have only iron sights on top.

SMM3G hoser pic

It's gotta be something about getting the gun out of the way to see more of the target(s). Like when I shoot an iron-sighted pistol, I always engage bottom-up because top-down blocks the targets.

It is definitely better to come in on stuff from the direction you can see it coming better and that can certainly be effected by the cant. I can see that. I can also see that for optics to get them out of the view you sometimes need over the top.

--

Regards,

So that pretty much means engagement direction should be strong side to weak side then?

There was a thread on this a while back that I gleaned the above information from. It seems to work well with long guns going strong side to weak side, as the gun doesn't block your peripheral vision when transitioning. This does run slightly contrary to my pistol shooting, as I like to shoot weak to strong side there. Strange stuff. :)

Maybe you've been watching too much TV and the ganstas are influencing you shooting style. Next think you know you'll have some of these homeboy sights on the side of your Glock' slide.

BTW, awesome photo there, lucky you had an excellent camera guy on your squad even though he didn't know how to work your camera.

It may have something to do with your "globe" front sight. I detest that kind of set up as you now have a sight blocking device both front and back. They don't work for me at all. ( they may work for you, just not me ). I find that for close stuff the nice, relativly thin, stock type sight , is much easier to see around. I don't cant the rifle, but so what if you do?? It won't throw you off by much at 2 feet :D. KURTM

That close I'm looking at the target(s) both eyes open and just getting the globe in the center. (Or in that upper AB target, holding the post up high.) The rifle could have a barn door blocking the sights and I wouldn't care.

Now those barrels on stage 9, those had me holding the stock a foot away from my shoulder, way sideways. Sort of like I was using a pressure washer wand to wash my truck bed. :)

Erik,

Well, as usual, I will have to take the minority opinion. One of the biggest points that I try to drive home in my 3-gun classes is consistency of technique. The more consistency of technique between the three firearms systems, the more refined your technique will become. If I have a choice, I shoot the rifle targets the same way I shoot my pistol and shotgun targets, left to right (for a right handed person.) I think having a different target engagement preference depending on which firearms system your using opens the door for my Mr. Confusion to pay you a visit. You don't want to be in a position where you're doing your walkthrough, saying to yourself, "Since I'm shooting rifle, I'll shoot this target first instead of this one." On the up close/high speed stages, your going to revert to the way you train. Since you probably shoot more pistol than any other type of round, you're going to revert to what you know. I would stay with the same engagement order you use for your pistol.

Erik

PS- Nice pic.

There is something about the way that the AR fits on people - people want to cant it. In NRA High Power, many of the service rifle shooters and the space gun folks shoot with cant, with pistol grip away from the body and the sights moved closer. And it costs less than two minutes, and usually less than one minute in zero shift. A rifleman no less accomplished than David Tubb shoots his bolt guns that way. Some shooters do not cant the rifle, but instead end up with the butt plate shoved to right (right handers) and the rest of the rifle to the left. There must be a lesson in that somewhere...

If it drags the sights in front of your eye and supports the gun, it has to be an improvement, right? You do have to know your hold over for canted offhand if you need a precisely placed shot. We do have match designers that will challenge your knowledge of your zero more than that with things like flat slots to force you to roll the gun 90 degrees. Gotta know your drop and windage there.

Cant it and get a good zero from it. People who ask more of their positions than we do like it just fine.

Billski

Canting brings the rifle to your face as opposed to moving your face to the rifle (which is why Tubb shoots a canted rifle). It would seem that it's more natural to keep the head upright and I expect that when that buzzer goes off, your body reverts to a more natural position, particularly when moving. How many of us run with our heads canted?