Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Superpipe9

cases failing chamber check? Need help

I have a dillon 650 with dillon 9mm carbide die set. The press is about 2 years old and for the first 1-1/2 years i would only have about 1 round fail the case gauge. 6 months ago i started slowing getting more and more rounds fail my hundo case gauge, approximately 15 per 100 now. I have checked the resizing die and have found nothing wrong. It is still in the same position and is tightened down. The problem is definitely at the bottom of the cases near the rim. All the ones that fail have a small bulge at the bottom of the case. I talked to dillon and they said it was just the brass. Ive always used range brass and didn't have this problem for 1-1/2 years. I think its something else. Any opinions on what this is and how to fix it. Ive been looking at the EGW U die but still would like to know why it wasn't a problem for 1-1/2 years. Thanks

What bullet are you using? FMJ's drop in a case gauge better than a coated bullet. Also look at your crimp die, but from what it sounds like is the bullet.

Expanded cases, get a push thru sizer setup. Lee has one and so do some others. Or a case pro if you really go thru a lot of cases.

The cases have just been fired in some weapon that has a larger than usual chamber.

If the problem is low enough a "U" die won't fix it unless you push the case all the way through it.

You said "near rim", that part is in a shell holder of some sort and no normal die can resize that area.

Like Steve said, your looking at a roll sizer or push through to fix the base of cases.

Edited by jmorris

Do you guys think the EGW U die is worth getting?

At one time I had problems resizing 9mm case fired from one of my Glocks. I now use the Lee U die. Haven't had a problem in since switching to it. I have no personal experience with the EGW die.

Mike

Edited by MAP

Do you guys think the EGW U die is worth getting?

At one time I had problems resizing 9mm case fired from one of my Glocks. I now use the Lee U die. Haven't had a problem in since switching to it. I have no personal experience with the EGW die.

Mike

More or less the same die.

OP I know you say the die is still tight but make sure it just kisses the plate. I ditched my Dillon sizer because it wouldn't size low enough. I would try a straight LEE or a LEE/EGW Udie. All will size much lower. I use a Udie and fail maybe 1 out of 200.

Also make sure to use good lube as brads can scrunch down towards the bottom if sized dry

Is the bulge on one side or all the way around?

If it's on one side, the most likely culprit is that someone shot them in a chamber that is improperly supported. Meaning they've hogged out the throat too much or the throat is too deep. Or they've been Glock'd, the Glock .40's. are especially (notoriously) bad about having too much throating. This is a problem that can sometimes be fixed with a push-thru sizer or U die. The only sure fix is a roll sizer.

If it's bulged evenly all the way around then the cases are probably being crushed during the reloading process. Since your setup was working but now isn't with no changes, I would suspect your sizing die has had the shine worn off the inside and the cases aren't slipping in properly. Try some case lube and see if your problem gets better. If it does, get a new sizer.

If you still have problems, gauge the cases after each stage to see which is causing it.

Edited by Absocold

The solution to chambering problems is normally as follows:

Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long

2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Let us know what the test shows for your loads and if you solved your problem.

Will the lee bulge buster work on a tapered case like a 9mm? I was under the impression that it would not, but then I don't actually run the bulge buster.

It will, but you have to use a Makarov sizing die.

Read about half way down the page and it explains.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-bulge-buster-90487.html

• 9mm cases are not to be used in the Bulge Buster because they have a slightly tapered case and their rim is not completely flush with the case.
  • 9mm Makarov Factory Crimp Die must be used for the 9mm Luger
  • Bulge Buster will repair rimless cases when used with the Lee Factory Crimp Die

The first bullet point says you can't use it with 9mm. Then the second one implies you can with a makarov die. I don't get it.

They are saying it won't work with the 9mm die but will work with the Makarov. You substitute the Makarov die for the 9mm die.