Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

House Clearing And Short Range Sights

3 Gun Newbie Looking for Voice of Experience

I am building a flat top upper for our game with a 1.5-5 x20 Simmons Prodiamond on top, and have a JP short range sight on the way too. I thought that I knew how I wanted to mount the SRTS, and then, I scanned past something (have not been able to search it up here) about negotiating houses by placing the butt off of the shoulder... I know of one guy who shoots the NRA Service Rifle with the butt on top of his shoulder. Yeah it looks odd, but he is a High Master, Distinguished Rifleman, Presidents 100, etc. You don't argue with success like that, you try to learn from it.

Hmm, let me describe what I have in mind and you guys tell me if I got it right. This is all from the point of view of a right hander, strong side shoulder and trigger: buttstock left side is on outside of right shoulder, rifle rotated 30-45 degrees anti-clockwise, face on back edge of flat top reciever looking down SRTS on the handgaurd. Do I have this right, or is it completely different?

Second, what angles are you guys using for your short range sights, whether iron or glass? 1 o'clock is 30 degrees and 1:30 is 45 degrees, and I suppose that I could drill and tap holes at both and experiment. It seems like 1 o'clock is almost too small.

Also, with narrow horizontal slots for ports and rifles being forced sideways, I wonder if putting the SRTS at 3 o'clock would not be a better idea instead of having to know your holdovers for a rotated rifle?

Billski

Man that is a lot to think about. I prefer a scope that has the widest field of view so that I don't have to change my gun position ,focus etc a bunch. The less you have to think the better. What if you are shooting through a port with you short range sight and oops there is a 75 yd target out there too. Make it easy on yourself. Of course you will get a bunch of other opinions.

Good luck.

I've always just used a low-power scope or red-dot, and haven't had any problems tagging targets "out there." Our club has a max 100 yard range, so our rifle stages tend to look like long-ish handgun hosers. Not many use an auxilary sight and tip the rifle.

The whole military "butt off the shoulder" thing puzzles the heck out of me. I suppose it works for single, relatively precise shots, but it strikes me as odd to develop a different technique for every problem. I can see something like it for really tight in-building work, but there's a difference between poking an M4 around the corner and denying a room to the bad guys, and getting two A hits and moving on in a field course.

I've known highpower shooters who put the butt of an M-16 on top of their shoulders. Usually, they're using very heavy rifles, and shooting slow fire, so what little recoil there is doesn't really matter.

When I see military types with the stock outside their shoulders, I attribute it to laziness--the weapon is just hanging there on a sling, and it takes less work to hold it there. Also, it's kinda hard to hold the butt against that thick, slippery flak vest, and there's probably some piece of highspeedgear sitting there, too. Why can't you have the rifle in your shoulder and rotate it counter-clockwise??

You could also try a dot or iron sight on top of your scope, or you could try the "occluded eye" trick that Matt Burkett describes in his AR-15 video--basically you cover the objective lens of your scope, so you can see the reticle with your strong eye, and you see the target with your weak eye, and the brain superimposes the images.

DogmaDog

Keep it simple is the key, your scope is 1.5x at the bottom end, it is definitely good enough for short range hosing. My Trijicon TR21 is 1.25 & I had no problem hosing the up close targets @ SMM3G. I also learned that within 10 feet or so, I don't even bother looking through the scope...just cant the rifle to the 10 o'clock position & look for the holes on paper while moving, much faster than any sights (Not true if head shots are required, or there are no-shoots in the vicinity.)

The SRTS can be mounted near, or far on the handguard, your pref there. Far makes it easier to focus on the post, but then again, these are for hosing and who is taking time to sharpen that post when doing that. If you are going to be jamming the sucka through ports and otherwise flinging it around, closer to the receiver is safer for the sight.

On a JP rifle, the handguard slots call the mount angle for you. If you are drilling and tapping yourself, then splitting the distance is probably OK. Try the mount and find the angle the gun wants to sit at in the shoulder pocket, then mount the sight so that it is straight up (12 o’clock) at that cant angle. You will be keeping both eyes open when using the SRTS so field of view with both eyes favors a cant to get the scope a bit outa da way.

BTW, the SRTS is so close to bore centerline compared to an optic on the rail that it’s point blank POI to POA offset is like 1.25 to 1.4 inches. Not too bad compared to the 2.5” + on most optics standard irons.

--

Regards,