Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

removing the finish on my 9L

lppd4

I am thinking of having my M&P 9L's slide blasted to remove the melonite finish and leaving it bare stainless or having it Cerakoted in some other color than black. can the melonite be taken off easily? Anyone got pictures of guns done this way? any input appreciated

Blasting would certainly be faster but peroxide soaking will eventually break it down. I didn't do a slide but I did various other melonite parts on mine. Once it soaked long enough I could scrub it off

Birchwood Casey makes a rust remover that also will remove oxide coatings like bluing and parkerizing (which is the coating you're actually removing - the melonite process case hardens the treated parts which are then parked).

It's basically just a mix of sulphuric and phosphoric acid. Not sure if you can grab those at a hardware store.

Glad this topic came up. I was planning on getting my CORE slide cerakoted to match my cool TT titanium blue base pads.

How long should I let it soak before taking it to the shop?

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

I don't remember exactly but it wasn't anything like overnight. Maybe 2-3 hours and check it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I blasted the finish off of my M&P 9 a while back and it was pretty interesting. It's hard to see in the pictures, but there is somewhat a damascus look to it after the coating was off. When I was done I cleaned all the crap out of it and left it to soak in a bag of of oil for a few days then cleaned it up and wiped it down with a silicone cloth. I never had any problems with it rusting when I used it as my production gun, it's recently been coated back to black so I can get it ready to sell.

I also took my .40L slide to the surface grinder and slimmed it up a bit/gave it some different serrations/made it look like one of those fancy sig equinox type things.

All of that being said, here are the pictures you were asking for!

0LvGvp3.jpg?1

lgtNLE4.jpg?1

40L Slide work

v5q0wRD.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

If you remove the finish I suggest using citric acid to remove any free iron and sulfides from the surface. This will help rebuild the passive chromium oxide layer on stainless steel which protects against rusting.

Edited by Fordfan485