Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader: help with crimp die setup

JMPhotog

I am new to reloading and just set up a brand new Hornady LNL for 45 acp. I have the Hornady dies. I watched the videos on their setup and read the manual. The only slight problem I am running into is with the seating and crimping station.

I am using the Hornady die that seats and crimps. I have the die set for my desired 200gr SWC Hi-Tek bullets at 1.250 and it is crimped and passing the chamber check. However, on the downstroke, the bullet seems to stick when exiting the crimp die?? So much that it shakes the press when it releases.

1) Am I crimping it too much?

2) I am using their powder cop die in the extra opening. Since I am not planning on blazing out rounds, instead going at a nice safe pace, would I be better served by removing the powder cop and getting two separate dies to seat and crimp?

I may be planning trying different bullets, but once I find my load (which I think I have it narrowed down to 200gr SWC Hi-Tek on 4.7gr Bullseye) I don't plan on changing anything. But if I do experiment, it seems like the seating/crimp die takes so much tweaking that adjusting it for different bullets will be a pain.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

A pic of the loaded round would be useful. I'd recommend picking up a standalone Hornady New Dimension seating die and a micrometer stem. You can take the stem out of your current die and use it only for crimping, the seating die will then be easily adjustable.

Is the round getting stuck with only that one round on the press? Otherwise it's usually a round sticking on the powder measure.

Edited by peterthefish

It is only hanging in the crimp station, I tried it with only one round at a time to confirm. It is measuring .471 at the case mouth. I tried posting a pic, but it gave me an error and said I can't because I am a new member.

It's best to have a separate seating die and separate crimp die. One easy way to setup is get a factory round of the same bullet type and weight, then just run the dies down until they stop. Keep in mind all stations have to be full to set the press correctly. Crimp is very difficult to measure, so I use the wipe method. Mark the case after the set station, then run it thru the crimp station. When properly adjusted it should wipe .010-.020" from the top of the case. Also don't over bell, you only need enough to set the bullet in, about .005" on a side. But what is that huge dent in you case???

image37096.jpg

image37093.jpg

image37094.jpg

Thanks Everyone! Calls Shots, that is just a reflection, bad pic on my part, just a quick pic with my phone.

So it sounds like I should remove the powder cop, and do it in two separate stations.

So, do I get the Hornady dedicated seating die and keep my crimping die but remove the seating stem?

Or use my current die for seating and get a dedicated crimping die?

on the downstroke, the bullet seems to stick when exiting the crimp die?? So much that it shakes the press when it releases.

Not the end of the world. Little shaking isn't too bad.

If your rounds chamber and are accurate, your crimp is fine.

Maybe some lubrication? The cases and the press, both??? :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

OK, I ordered the Hornady New Dimension seating die and a micrometer stem. I also ordered the separate taper crimp die, it was only $22 and seemed so much simpler than the combination one I got. I will remove the powder cop die and maybe return it, but I will visually inspect the cases for powder before I place the bullet.

I will visually inspect the cases for powder before I place the bullet.

That is an absolute must !!! :surprise:

Don't ask how I know.

There is a commercial in-line light to attach directly to your press,

right over your powder stage - I got mine a year ago, and wouldn't

even consider reloading without it. :cheers:

It looks like there's some lead at the mouth of the case, probably from under-belling the case mouth - as the bullet is getting seated it's shaving lead. This will cause it to get stuck on the crimp as well. I load a lot of lead coated and a little extra bell is a lot better than not quite enough.

No need for a separate crimp die - if you remove the seating stem from your current seat/crimp die you adjust just by screwing the die in / out.