Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b primer feeding problem

To disassemble the priming system, remove the spring from the bottom of the primer slide, remove the two 5/32 bolts that are on the bottom of the primer tube assembly. Unhook the op rod and your done.

I have 2 of Jeff's (aka Walnut) primer track bearing plates, and I can tell you that they have worked flawlessly for me. This invention solved my problem of the primer slide sticking and shuddering as it moved back and forth.

The added length of the bearing track and the ball bearing roller have stabilized the motion of the primer slide, and they have made the priming operation on my Dillon 550B a pleasure. I add a small amount of powdered graphite to the bearing plate to provide a little additional lubrication--but it's not required. I heartily recommend this invention, and I wish Dillon would make it a part of the 550B.

(For the record: I have no vested interest in promoting this product; I'm just trying to to provide some helpful information from hands-on experience.)

I'm a new blue member.. I recently bought used 550 and was having primer issues. I did all the regular fixes..... Helped but still had issues. Primarily missing primers, I bought ( fast shipping) and installed. I had to debur a bit, went ahead and did quick polish on contact points, degrease, with stone approx 5 min. Fumbled with tiny nylok nut, still relatively ez install... Would have been easier if I could find my tiny sockets... Overall under 30 minutes.

this mod made a world of difference. Much smoother function. Very fluid. And now 100% success on primer issues. Dillon should buy walnut out and make this product stock

I guess I have been lucky, I do dissemble and powder coat the area every once in awhile. Good info to have in case I see this in the future!

The way the primer bar activates, it will likely wear and have primer issues in the future. The bearing helps alleviate this by supporting the bar when it is fully extended.

I guess I have been lucky, I do dissemble and powder coat the area every once in awhile. Good info to have in case I see this in the future!

The way the primer bar activates, it will likely wear and have primer issues in the future. The bearing helps alleviate this by supporting the bar when it is fully extended.

You mean the plastic part that lets the primer drop? Not sure how many I have loaded on the 550, close to 7K, maybe more. I reload everything but 9mm on the 550. I use the 650 for 9mm and did use it for 38 super. Anybody need some 38 super brass?

You mean the plastic part that lets the primer drop? Not sure how many I have loaded on the 550, close to 7K, maybe more. I reload everything but 9mm on the 550. I use the 650 for 9mm and did use it for 38 super. Anybody need some 38 super brass?

The cup on the primer bar that covers the spring. It's the pocket the primer sits in. The way it's actuated, there's little support at full extension and it tends to wear so the right side of it (as you're facing the press) starts rubbing against the tunnel at the bottom of the primer dispenser thing (not sure of the actual names, it's the aluminum housing that holds the primer magazine).

Once it starts rubbing, you get erratic primer dispensing.

The bearing helps mitigate that. You may not need it now, but you'll likely need it later. $29.00 is cheap insurance.

• 2 months later...

Or drill and tap a hole for a nylon bolt to limit side play on primer bar.

I was having the same problem and tried this fix. Worked great and after a thousand rounds still no problem. Thanks for the tip robertg5322.