Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b primer feeding problem

I have a Dillon 550b and I am having trouble getting the primer feeding mechanism to place a primer in the Primer Seating Cup consistently. It seems to skip placing a primer about every other case unless I pull the primer slide back all the way manually, then it works OK. I have tried cleaning all the parts with alcohol to no avail.

Any suggestions?

IIRC there is also an adjustment to the seating cup. I had similar issues. I ended up taking that apart and when I put it back together it worked. I'd called Dillon though and they gave me a measurement for the adjustment but I can't remember the details. Call them they'll tell you.

Red

IIRC there is also an adjustment to the seating cup. I had similar issues. I ended up taking that apart and when I put it back together it worked. I'd called Dillon though and they gave me a measurement for the adjustment but I can't remember the details. Call them they'll tell you.

Red

The measurement for the height of the primer seating cup that Red is referencing can be found in the Dillon 550b Manual at the bottom of page 5. Here is a link to the manual.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/dillon_rl_550b_manual_may_2007.pdf

From Brian's notes...

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 1.125 - 1.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toolhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield.

Make sure you have the right feed tube in place.

I was getting flipped primers and occasional jams a while back while loading 9mm. Then upon inspection I found that I never replaced the large primer tube from loading .45. The extra play was causing feeding issues. Only took me 3 months to figure it out. Doh!

Red

The Dillon manual is showing that the primer cup should be 1.215” to 1.220, mine is 1.200. It seems like not feeding would be caused by the primer cup sitting to high rather than too low as mine appears to be.

I have had mine "grow" over time which has caused feeding issues. Set screw loosens over the compression cycle is my theory, so I tear it apart give it a good cleaning and put in my bench vice to compress it all together and tighten the set screw. I also use the time to clean out the primer tube magazine and replace the plastic tip on the primer magazine tube just as preventive. Then shoot Dillon a email requesting replacement parts that I just replaced.

Edited by Walnut

As you're facing the press, the right side of the primer cup rubs the recess it goes into to get a primer. This manifests itself to a point where the primer bar does not pick up a primer (the little leaf spring on the back of the primer tube housing visibly does not come out far enough).

Essentially the primer bar is no longer centered in the primer tube housing. Cause; the primer bar actuator rod only pushing on one side of the primer bar. It wears to a point where the cup hits the housing.

As I stated in earlier replies you can spend $28.00 for a part that I'm told solves this problem or drill and tap a hole and use a nylon screw to limit side play on the bar as I show in the pic that also solves this issue.

Frustrating as all hell until you figure it out.

Ive had the same problem with many many many rounds through my 550b. I ended up not realizing the screws that held the primer action bar...i guess you'd call it...were way too tight. I loosened them up a little, re adjusted, replaced the tip of the primer tube, set the adjustment of the primer cup and cleaned it all...after that it worked like a champ! I just make sure i clean it and re adjust after every couple thousand rounds loaded.

The biggest thing I found with my 550 priming system, is cleaning the bottom of the primer slider bar every 1000 rounds or so. Once it gets caked with burnt powder residue it will get hung up on the way back and might not grab a fresh primer

Got the plate/roller gizmo on mine. I also have the nylon screw I noted above in post #9. Of the two, the screw was in first. I needed it, the right side of the primer cup was rubbing the housing, causing occasional failure to fully travel and pick up a primer. The nylon screw acts as a bearing, keeping the bar on the proper track. I bought the bearing cause I like the design and how it provides support along the primer bar as it comes out of the housing. Would it along have solved my problem? Can't say for sure but probably. But the nylon screw was a whole lot cheaper.

BTW, the line on the side of the primer bar is just that, a line. The screw is nylon, it won't wear a groove into the primer bar.

Edited by robertg5322

my question is there anyone who has tried the EBay "plate/roller", that can give us a report

I've had this part on my press for about 2 weeks. It made a huge improvement in primer bar operation for me and honestly Dillon should look at buying this dude's idea and making it OEM. I had a lot of issues with jitter in the primer bar operation and if I didn't pull everything apart and clean it every 400 rounds then either the bar would start failing to pick up a primer or would simply stick in the rearward position. I've loaded 800 rounds since installing the after market plate/bearing and havent' done anything with it but hit with compressed air every couple of hundred rounds and the operation is smooth as glass.

Out of all the mods and tweaks I've done to my this is the best one and wish I'd found this part years ago.

It is an excellent product and addresses an issue Dillon should have long ago. No offense to Dillon, their presses are the best and their customer service is without peer but the unsupported primer bar issue has been an issue foe quite a while now.

I have 2 of Jeff's (aka Walnut) primer track bearing plates, and I can tell you that they have worked flawlessly for me. This invention solved my problem of the primer slide sticking and shuddering as it moved back and forth.

The added length of the bearing track and the ball bearing roller have stabilized the motion of the primer slide, and they have made the priming operation on my Dillon 550B a pleasure. I add a small amount of powdered graphite to the bearing plate to provide a little additional lubrication--but it's not required. I heartily recommend this invention, and I wish Dillon would make it a part of the 550B.

(For the record: I have no vested interest in promoting this product; I'm just trying to to provide some helpful information from hands-on experience.)