Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replicating Federal's 9mm AE 147gr FMJ FP

Williamb

This cartridge really shoots very well in my M&P pistols. I am intending to load some MGs 147gr FMJ FPs with N320. However, I am somewhat concerned with Federals OAL on this cartridge. It has about a OAL of 1.0625+ which seems really short when you start comparing it to what I have read on the forum for this bullet. I usually see something like 1.12 or more with anywhere between 3.2 grains to 3.8 of N320. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this 1.06 OAL as I am concerned with dramatically increasing pressure with such a short OAL. Federal advertises about 1000FPS at the muzzle but my experience is about 950 + though a 5 inch barrel.

Comments would be welcome.

I have two loads that I use with the PD 147 FMJFP both loaded to 1.10. You can load this bullet a little longer if your chamber/mags permit.

4.0 of WSF, Federal primer, PD147 FMJFP

3.7 VVn320, Federal primer, PD 147 FMJFP

Load is mild and accurate in all my Glocks and AR Carbine in 9mm

I have two loads that I use with the PD 147 FMJFP both loaded to 1.10. You can load this bullet a little longer if your chamber/mags permit.

4.0 of WSF, Federal primer, PD147 FMJFP

3.7 VVn320, Federal primer, PD 147 FMJFP

Load is mild and accurate in all my Glocks and AR Carbine in 9mm

Thanks do you happen to have any chrono info with the VN320 load?

Disclaimer: I don't have any expereince with this one but I'll pass on what I wrote down. Got this from a fellow shooter at a GSSF match.

147.g MG CMJ, VV N320 3.6g. OAL1.131. Shooter was using a G17.
I got to shoot a few practice rounds thru my G17 and it was a pretty soft shooting round. I've stuck with the same round you are using AE 147g. Sorry, I don't have any chrono data for you.
Dave

All good information but wondering what people think about Federals AE with such a short OAL. The factory ammunition measures approximately 1.0625+. I haven't read anywhere that anyone's loading this to such a short OAL. The reason I want to replicate this load is that it is very accurate in my M&Ps with no issues with PF.

You can load a bullet to any overall length you want as long as you make adjustments in the powder charge to stay within safe pressure limits.

You don't necessarily need to duplicate the Federal's OAL to replicate its accuracy.

With semi-auto handgun ammunition, OAL is often more important for reliable feeding and fitting in the chamber than accuracy.

Edited by superdude